🔧 BUILD 1989 Dodge Daytona ES TBI to Turbo Conversion

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
Me neither! So cool. That has to be a major upgrade from the old single cam non-crossflow. Lol

SOHC flows like CRAP. Only thing nice about it is all the space you get from not having the intake in the way. I like the 2.4 design much better, DOHC, way better flowing heads, 16v, water pump is ran off of the timing belt, spring tensioner for the timing belt, better oil control, etc etc. Not to mention easier to get now days.

Reactions: v6buicks

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
Car is on the ground now. Just need to do the radiator hose... Either going to tig/braze some metal onto the thermostat housing or not sure....

1604540798917.png

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Alright, any one have any ideas for the upper rad hose? I'm trying to get away without modifying the rad or the thermostat housing if possible.

View attachment 72447

You'll have to splice it 1-2 spots but an 1992 TBI Astro upper rad hose like this one. It bells down.GATES 21191.
21191-1_TOP_A__ra_p.jpg
Rock Auto has an equivalent for about 5 bucks.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
? get some exhaust tubing with a 1.5->1.25 adapter, add a few scraps of rad hose or some silicone couplers and call it done then.
I have a similar version of that eBay adapter in my heater circuit. It works just fine but I would hate to have it so visible like a turbo dodge upper rad hose. Lol

I did it in the upper hose on my Astro. I was also accepting of the idea I needed a complete coolant loop more than a pretty hose that would fit and had no realistic expectation of finding a hose that would just work in my oddball situation.

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
Well, I finally got a stock rad hose to fit. Was a pain and hope it holds.

Did have a different issue. If you watch my videos you'll know I'm sceptical as hell about the freeze plugs I put in the block. Well I drove the car around the block for a test and got some fresh 91 V-Power from Shell since I've had 87 in the tank for 4 years. Well, driving to the gas station the trans is slipping in gear, so I got to look into that. But the worst thing is the car started to over heat, so I drove it back home. Opened the hood and touched the radiator, ice cold. Touch the hose, not even luke warm. The head was BLAZING hot though. Figured the thermostat was stuck or something so I smacked the thermostat housing, eventually the hose started to warm up and so did the rad, but just barely warm on the rad.

So I took the cap off the rad, no water. Looked behind the motor, just because and saw liquid on some stuff in the back. :unsure:

Poured water into the radiator and watched as all of the water just rolled out the back of the block. Freeze plug was gone.

So now I have to do all those too lol. :rolleyes:

WarlockSyno

Oct 27, 2020
Everything is back in and ready to run. Just need to pressure test it now. ?
1610922250871.png

Zapped all the brake dust and popping chrome off the extra set of 17s I had laying around, I did wear a respirator and other gear,
1610922318254.png

Before and after of the wire wheel
1610922345380.png

Added another bung (Monkey Fab ones are GREAT) for the wideband
1610922375887.png

3D printed inserts for the wheels since all of them are missing the center caps
1610922411188.png

And then there's this:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info