🔧 BUILD 1984 Ford LTD Wagon 4.8L 78/75 Turbo 4L80E Build

General Information

It didn't just feel right, not having an 80s shitbox. There has just been a void in my heart that I couldn't fill with new cars. Since my recent mishap with my Mustang, there was an open spot in the stable. I do have a new DD, but that's another thread for another day.

Saw this gem of a vehicle on the BookFace, only a short 4.5 hour drive up in Wisconsin. Thing looked pretty clean in the pictures so I figured I'd check it out. Talked the fiance into the drive, somehow.

I got up there and it was even cleaner than in the pictures. The interior is like a time capsule. It's just about Mint, no cracks, no breaks, 100% original and unharmed. Only downside is that it is red. Although, the ugly color kind of fits the ugly (read: awesome) car.

It's a 1984 Ford LTD Wagon. It's basically a Mustang Wagon. It sits in the fox chassis, and pretty much all the parts are interchangeable. It had a little bit of surface rust here and there, and then some rust on the bottom of the driver side doors. Nothing that really concerned me.The paint seems like it may be original. Can't totally tell, but looks like it.

It has a 3.8L V6 which makes a blistering 120HP (new, this one probably makes considerably less). It has a 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive. The car runs surprisingly well, and transmission shifts silky smooth. It felt like it ran a little bit choppy on decel, but nothing that really concerned me. The car made thr 4.5 hour drive from middle of nowhere Wisconsin no problem.

I took one picture myself, the rest are from the ad. Will add more pictures tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Mook Mook already made the "how long til you sell it after doing nothing with it joke" so save yourself the time :rofl:

20200705_154450.jpeg

20200705_223738.jpeg

20200705_223756.jpeg

20200705_223722.jpeg

20200705_223812.jpeg

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
The only annoying part about that is there are limited inline pumps that work for E85, and most of them are HUGE and quite pricey.
What is your budget and space on the inline fuel pump? I went with Fuelab, it's a long setup (I have a pre and post pump fuel filter), but will hold up to E85 feeding 1400cc injectors and then some.

So seeing your last post on your fuel pump selection -- what is the make/model?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
View attachment 118865

Turbo is going on. Having issues with fitment. I kind of expected that but having an issue deciding on the solution.

Turbo doesn't fit under the hood.

View attachment 118866

Downpipe doesn't fit where it's supposed to go because of the big ass 4L80E. 3.5" pipe mocked in the hole to demonstrate.

View attachment 118867

My options are really just cut a hole in the hood? I've seen some people say use K-member spacers but those are like 1/2" and I think I need more than that. I really don't want a massive hole in the hood :rofl:
They make 1" spacers as well if that might be enough.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Just a heads up they do sell molded high temp silicone coolant hoses.... I only needed straight for my Cressida but they did have 22.5 45 135 90-degree Etc... and you could get one next to the other in a particular orientation if you send them a sample I can't remember the name of the damn company though.

If I recall they also had stainless internal Springs to keep your hoses from collapsing in really high temp situations

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
I thought hoses usually collapsed under vacuum conditions? Like with heater/radiator hoses, if you get a leak, it's collapsing from the lack of fluid and the pump still trying to move water than the heat?

I try to get the reinforced tubing, depending on what you get it'll have 3 to 6 layers of reinforced fibers in the tube to help deal with all that. The idea of internal spring is a good one, as long as you can burp the system properly.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Just a baseline, car still has 87 in it, has a 6psi spring in it, and hasn't fully learned on the Holley. Zero tuning at all. And this was really only put on there to train people how to use the dyno. So it was only running up to 5400 RPM before they took it off and tweaked the settings. It'll get back on once we do some tweaking of some things. But it's not bad for what it is.

received_3105825919730452.jpeg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
6PSI+87?

Baron Vaughn GIF by NETFLIX

Turn it up to 8, get to about 450 at the tire and drive it. Don't get greedy if it's a production block, she'll be gtg. I wouldn't go to more than 12 in general on a 5.0 that's stock, just my paranoia though. That seems to be where you get to head gasket issues if you're dealing with production heads at least based off what I've seen.

Being a wagon she should dead nuts hook and you'll still break some off for a lotta people.

ED:Fuck the whole thing above except the dead nuts hooking part. It's an LS swap, she'll make good power. Turn her the fuck up and let her eat.

Thread Info