🔧 BUILD 1984 Ford LTD Wagon 4.8L 78/75 Turbo 4L80E Build

General Information

It didn't just feel right, not having an 80s shitbox. There has just been a void in my heart that I couldn't fill with new cars. Since my recent mishap with my Mustang, there was an open spot in the stable. I do have a new DD, but that's another thread for another day.

Saw this gem of a vehicle on the BookFace, only a short 4.5 hour drive up in Wisconsin. Thing looked pretty clean in the pictures so I figured I'd check it out. Talked the fiance into the drive, somehow.

I got up there and it was even cleaner than in the pictures. The interior is like a time capsule. It's just about Mint, no cracks, no breaks, 100% original and unharmed. Only downside is that it is red. Although, the ugly color kind of fits the ugly (read: awesome) car.

It's a 1984 Ford LTD Wagon. It's basically a Mustang Wagon. It sits in the fox chassis, and pretty much all the parts are interchangeable. It had a little bit of surface rust here and there, and then some rust on the bottom of the driver side doors. Nothing that really concerned me.The paint seems like it may be original. Can't totally tell, but looks like it.

It has a 3.8L V6 which makes a blistering 120HP (new, this one probably makes considerably less). It has a 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive. The car runs surprisingly well, and transmission shifts silky smooth. It felt like it ran a little bit choppy on decel, but nothing that really concerned me. The car made thr 4.5 hour drive from middle of nowhere Wisconsin no problem.

I took one picture myself, the rest are from the ad. Will add more pictures tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Mook Mook already made the "how long til you sell it after doing nothing with it joke" so save yourself the time :rofl:

20200705_154450.jpeg

20200705_223738.jpeg

20200705_223756.jpeg

20200705_223722.jpeg

20200705_223812.jpeg

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Trying to work out the details for the fuel system, and it's gotten a little annoying.

The LTD Wagon from this year with the CFI V6 uses a dual pump setup. It has an in-tank low pressure pump, and then an external in-line high pressure pump. The in-tank pump uses a hanger that is totally different than the Mustang variant. The Mustang has separated level sender and pump hanger, while the LTD has a combined one. So basically, the hanger won't work with a Mustang pump, and no one makes a pump for an LTD. I've read that a Third Gen Camaro LT1 pump can fit, but it has issues.

The tank is totally different than the Mustang one so that it can fit the wagon, so I can't use a Mustang tank either.

I think the only option is to sump the tank and then use an in-line pump and then run the return back to the stock fuel hat (feed side, since it's larger). The only annoying part about that is there are limited inline pumps that work for E85, and most of them are HUGE and quite pricey.

Dumpsterpat

Oct 26, 2020
Ohio
Real Name
Pat
The thing that sucks about fringe cars like this is that parts are difficult to find. Everyone just uses Mustang parts for everything and that doesn't work everywhere.

Trying to find the right rear springs and it's nightmare. Mustang springs are like 1.5 inches shorter in the rear and have a far different rate. It would slam the rear and look like one of those takuache trucks.

Rock auto has springs last time I looked.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I feel like a universal sender/fuel pump assembly would be adaptable to this, I’ve read a few mixed reviews on the tanksinc efi sumo but I’ve also read awesome reviews of Holley hydramat.

Just looked up the hydramat and that looks interesting. That is designed to work with an inline, external mount, pump then it looks like?

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, finally decided to light some money on fire by spending on this car.

Got myself a junky On3 Turbo kit, with a 78/75 Turbo.

Also nabbed a Holley Terminator X Max for it. Backorder on these things seems to have gotten under control, as they seem to be only a week out at any given time. We will see when it shows up though.

Still need to work out (aka haven't even thought about it yet):

Fuel System worked out
Trans-Cooler & lines
Cooling system worked out
Driveshaft

That'll get it on the road, so that I can work out the odd bits, and stuff to make it not so slow (suspension, wheels/tires, etc).

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
received_1046849736210583.jpeg

Turbo is going on. Having issues with fitment. I kind of expected that but having an issue deciding on the solution.

Turbo doesn't fit under the hood.

received_2189401921217086.jpeg

Downpipe doesn't fit where it's supposed to go because of the big ass 4L80E. 3.5" pipe mocked in the hole to demonstrate.

received_447747653674079.jpeg

My options are really just cut a hole in the hood? I've seen some people say use K-member spacers but those are like 1/2" and I think I need more than that. I really don't want a massive hole in the hood :rofl:

Thread Info