🔧 BUILD 1984 Ford LTD Wagon 4.8L 78/75 Turbo 4L80E Build

General Information

It didn't just feel right, not having an 80s shitbox. There has just been a void in my heart that I couldn't fill with new cars. Since my recent mishap with my Mustang, there was an open spot in the stable. I do have a new DD, but that's another thread for another day.

Saw this gem of a vehicle on the BookFace, only a short 4.5 hour drive up in Wisconsin. Thing looked pretty clean in the pictures so I figured I'd check it out. Talked the fiance into the drive, somehow.

I got up there and it was even cleaner than in the pictures. The interior is like a time capsule. It's just about Mint, no cracks, no breaks, 100% original and unharmed. Only downside is that it is red. Although, the ugly color kind of fits the ugly (read: awesome) car.

It's a 1984 Ford LTD Wagon. It's basically a Mustang Wagon. It sits in the fox chassis, and pretty much all the parts are interchangeable. It had a little bit of surface rust here and there, and then some rust on the bottom of the driver side doors. Nothing that really concerned me.The paint seems like it may be original. Can't totally tell, but looks like it.

It has a 3.8L V6 which makes a blistering 120HP (new, this one probably makes considerably less). It has a 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive. The car runs surprisingly well, and transmission shifts silky smooth. It felt like it ran a little bit choppy on decel, but nothing that really concerned me. The car made thr 4.5 hour drive from middle of nowhere Wisconsin no problem.

I took one picture myself, the rest are from the ad. Will add more pictures tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Mook Mook already made the "how long til you sell it after doing nothing with it joke" so save yourself the time :rofl:

20200705_154450.jpeg

20200705_223738.jpeg

20200705_223756.jpeg

20200705_223722.jpeg

20200705_223812.jpeg

Dave M

TCG Elite Member
Aug 28, 2015
Gurnee
Real Name
Morefield
My friends mom had one of these in the same exact color scheme in the early 90's. We used to load that thing 10 deep and roll around like badasses with a boom box from someone's house in the back blasting NWA :LOL:

Very fond memories, and I would give that bitch the sleeper treatment all day and go hurt some feelings.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ford big block and spray.

how much hacking for a BBF to fit? which im not sure if Sprayin Sprayin is cool or not cool with happening.

but i just saw this comment looking quick... :rofl:

motor in my falcon was junk as it comes.. bone stock lower end from a early 80 460 f250 truck..stock crank..rods and pistons..oil pump etc... stock dove heads with the correct valve springs on it..did have a mild roller cam in it and a victor intake, stock c6 tranny with a jegs 2800 converter and 3.50 gears ..ran 11.70 , had literately 800.00 in the whole motor -tranny

fucking love it

Reactions: ragingclue

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Wow, the misinformation on this thread amazes me. Clearly most of you have never done a 460 swap. It is just as easy as a 351w swap. There is no special modifications at all. It is a direct bolt in swap. Now, you can keep your booster with stock valve covers (they also clear roller rockes with no girdles). Power steering can also be kept with small modification. Ive seen them with full accessories. My self, I just have alternator and water pump since its a drag car. My c6 non ribbed trans fit like a glove. Also, im making alittle over 400hp and well over 500ft lbs with stock block, factory iron d0ve heads, stock crank, stock truck rods with probe forged pistons. Also have 200hp pill of juice on tap. My car weighs 3276 with me in it. NO small block can touch that power using stock parts. Dollar for dollar, you can NOT beat big block power. There is actually a big bbf aftermartket support. Not as big as sbf but close. And for the oiling, do a few simple mods or keep it under 6000rpms and youll be fine. Ill never own anything besides a big block for drag racing ever again. Also, what drag car handles that great anyways? They are meant for straight line, not autocross.

Also, I run 4cyl brakes for weight reduction and run 4cyl springs. They work great for 11's n/a and basement 10's. Plus my big block has great street manners. Can drive it all day without any issues and pump gas freindly.

i like the BBF idea a lot.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Thread Info