1982 Fairmont 4-Door - LS Swap

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
although true, it sure is nice to have overdrive and lockup.

just like a 400, a 80e doesnt need much to hold onto 800ish hp. but converters are a bit more than a 400

Yeah, I've seen quite a few guys getting away with just a shift-kit/valvebody at the 500-600rwhp power level. I want a trans-brake though, which is still pretty pricey for the 4L80s.

Plus, I'm much more confident about building a th400. I've never done a 4L80 before.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Picked up the new race engine today as well as a bone stock 8.8" rear end.

OefPQgK.jpg

Gonna tear it down and probably order the cam/springs/etc in the next week or two.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Yeah, I've seen quite a few guys getting away with just a shift-kit/valvebody at the 500-600rwhp power level. I want a trans-brake though, which is still pretty pricey for the 4L80s.

Plus, I'm much more confident about building a th400. I've never done a 4L80 before.

Having taken an 80 apart if you do one they're easier to break down than a 700R4 IMO. I bet you could slam one together without too much issue.

That said a good converter is mucho dinero and the controllers aren't cheap either. If you're going stock box you should be in decent shape to control it.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Having taken an 80 apart if you do one they're easier to break down than a 700R4 IMO. I bet you could slam one together without too much issue.

That said a good converter is mucho dinero and the controllers aren't cheap either. If you're going stock box you should be in decent shape to control it.

I've got an MS3 Pro. A Microsquirt is supposed to integrate pretty easily to control the trans.

I know that the 4L80 has a lot in common with the 400 aside from the obvious addition of an overdrive. I've read that a few specialized tools are required to do them, but who knows how accurate that was.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I've heard good things about going the Microsquirt route but I got burned on doing the Megashift/GPIO setup so it left a really bad taste in my mouth in terms of dealing with it. If the Microsquirt setup is similar, the CAN integration was a hassle to set up but let you do some cool stuff like pulling timing by gear. Denmah was testing a 4L80E controller that was based on it as well and pulled it off without giving reasons; He has ties to a guy who develops MS stuff so I would be inclined to read between the lines there.

If it's more brute force I'd do the 400; You're gonna be running 3.0s probably anyways and if you have say a 28" tire you'll do just fine for moderate highway use; My Lemans with a carbed 350 still managed to pull down 17mpg with 3.23s at 3680 with me in it although it was manual. Oddly I think it could have done nearer 20mpg set up in a way that wasn't 100% hackery. Spend $$$ on a nice converter and you'll probably not lose too much RPM on the highway.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I'd do a Coyote swap if they weren't still big money. Coyotes will be the next big swap motor once they start hitting junk yards and coming down in price.

Started seeing some new Hemi setups on Turbo Mustangs. Man they make power even with basically a stock engine. I have no doubts these Yote motors will be the same.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Just a little update - Sorry no pics.

I have all of the tubular front suspension, coil-overs, caster-camber plates, etc. Everything for the front end except a manual rack.

I also ordered the cam/springs, gaskets, and some other odds and ends for the engine. Once I get everything(new oil pan, head studs, etc), I'll do it all at once and then have some actual pictures to upload.

I've also decided to just go with a th400 for now. It's cheaper to build, the converters are cheaper, and it will still be street friendly with the turbo and a 3.23ish rear gear.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Got some stuff done this weekend.

Crusty oil-caked heads:
JKa5vCP.jpg

Pulled the heads apart and scrubbed them as best I could:
xHTIvtO.jpg

x4SMSN0.jpg

M4Fdckg.jpg

Reassembled them with new Comp valve seals and PAC 1218 springs. Stock everything else.
j0hQpdS.jpg

Back together with LS9 head gaskets and ARP head bolts:
XF2NNNJ.jpg

Also installed the new cam. It's an Elgin 1839p, which is 220/224 .575/.575. Here's the old cam, which was in great condition. No damaged lobes, which is a good sign:
UGvyyKU.jpg

All that's left to do with the engine now is degrease the valley cover and timing cover, and install the new oil pan. I went with the Holley pan, which is baffled, has provisions for turbo drain lines, and is much lower profile than the stock truck pan.
2F5DELJ.jpg

I also picked up a trans from Schoolboy(I think he's a member here). Built th400 with rmvb and a brake, and should have no problems holding whatever power this setup makes.
o0mG0DW.jpg

Thread Info