1972 AMC Gremlin

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
Hello, I'm "TinMan", 19, and I go to Joliet Junior College. I saw a pretty clean 1979(?) AMC Pacer wagon in my school's parking lot with a sticker that said The Chicago Garage on the back so I decided to check this site out ;D

140m4jm.jpg

Alright, so this is my 1972 AMC Gremlin that I've had for a little over two years now. The picture is pretty outdated, but the car is currently in a garage for the winter so a current picture would be a pain.
Anyways, the Gremlin is pretty stock right now minus some little cosmetic things like an AMC sport steering wheel, but I have an AMC 4.0L (Yes, the engine used in Jeeps) that I plan on swapping into it...it's a slow process, been saving up money for the headwork and buying parts one piece at a time but now it's all coming together for the most part. I'm hoping for high 13's or low 14's, so not exactly a race car, just a fun street car :p

For the winter I'm driving a 1974 IH Scout II that I bought to save the Gremlin from road salt.
29qhc3d.jpg

It gets me where I need to go, hauls stuff around, leaks oil everywhere I park it, and is slow as molasses with an AMC 258 backed by a Borg-Warner 3 speed manual and 3.73 gears. A perfect truck.

That's all for now, I'll be lurking around here :pedobear:

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
Thanks for all the welcomes!

Welcome!
And that pacer you found has to be Runtz. He'll probably be in here soon

Haha, I hope he isn't upset at me. I left a note in his Pacer's door handle saying I liked his car, it was snowing a little then so he might have come back to his car and just saw ink dripping down the side of it, I hope not though xD

You have no idea how often my car is mistaken for a Pacer.
One of my friends called me up and asked me if I drove my Gremlin to school...he mistook that white Pacer wagon for my Gremlin, he insists they look the same. It still surprises me that I'll be pumping gas and someone will tell me to "Party on, Wayne!", but it's a good laugh.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Thanks for all the welcomes!

Haha, I hope he isn't upset at me. I left a note in his Pacer's door handle saying I liked his car, it was snowing a little then so he might have come back to his car and just saw ink dripping down the side of it, I hope not though xD

You have no idea how often my car is mistaken for a Pacer.
One of my friends called me up and asked me if I drove my Gremlin to school...he mistook that white Pacer wagon for my Gremlin, he insists they look the same. It still surprises me that I'll be pumping gas and someone will tell me to "Party on, Wayne!", but it's a good laugh.

someone thought i bought a pinto, i just shook my head. ur gremlin looks pertty clean too, look forward to seeing it sometime

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
whats up justin, im actually in class right now, glad u saw the sticker and joined up. anywho welcome, i wish the pacer was stin storage but my winter beater had other plans lol

Hey!
Ah, you're there late, explains why I don't see the Pacer often. I'm there MWF 9am-1pm getting in my gen eds. I also park in the other lot of T building, closest to the greenhouse in the last row.

Stuff happens, if that Scout wasn't such a good deal I would still be driving the Gremlin through all this snow, and man does that thing like to get sideways in the snow and rain...
What's under the hood in your Pacer, a 304?

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
someone thought i bought a pinto, i just shook my head. ur gremlin looks pertty clean too, look forward to seeing it sometime

Haha, my Gremlin has been called everything from a Honda CRX to a VW Golf or a Ford Fiesta, sometimes I think people just pull car names out of their asses because they forget what the car looked like. Also when I'm filling up with gas and checking my oil someone always approaches me to look under the hood and then asks "Is that a Ford motor?" or "Who made AMC?" :rollpicard:

It looks good in the picture, but since then it's been banged up a bit. I have a clean set of fenders I have to strip and paint to put on it in for the Spring, and I also want to fix some cracks in the grille.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Hey!
Ah, you're there late, explains why I don't see the Pacer often. I'm there MWF 9am-1pm getting in my gen eds. I also park in the other lot of T building, closest to the greenhouse in the last row.

Stuff happens, if that Scout wasn't such a good deal I would still be driving the Gremlin through all this snow, and man does that thing like to get sideways in the snow and rain...
What's under the hood in your Pacer, a 304?

there used to be a 304 in there, the guy i bought it from put a mildy built 360 in there out of a jeep grand wagoneer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsCgML4V7k0

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Awesome, it sounds pretty tough. How "mild" are we talking?

holley 4bbl carb 650cfm, edelbrock performer rpm intake, bored .030 over, mild street cam, comp cams valve train, isky guide plates. est. around 350 crank hp

i want to get edelbrock heads, a bigger cam, new intake and new carb, my goal is 450 whp and to b in the 12's with it

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Sounds like a sweet plan. Do you have an ET with it how it is now?
The wagon factor just makes it that much more of a sleeper :D

no i dont, the trans in it is still the stock trans, and it slips real bad. second gear holds tho and i roll raced my buddy in his stang which consistently runs low 13's and he only put 1/2 a car on me so if i could race right now i would guess in the mid to low 13's with a good launch. actually today i left my headlights on and needed a jump, the guy that gave me one got out after it started and was lookin under the hood "whatcha got in there" i smiled and told him and he goes "that little car must scoot" yes yes it does

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
both cars need more 440. a 392 would be good too.
same goes to you runtz :pedobear:

no 440 for me, id rather have an amc 401, forged rods and crank from the factory, throw in forged pistons and u have a bullet proof bottom end good up to 900hp. plus i have yet to really unleash the motor thats in there now, i would have my trans off to the shop right now had the lumi not died, ive got $1700 sittin in the bank right now, and with that i could have done everything i wanted to this winter. but now i have to spend it on a new dd

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Very nice cars. That international is sweet!

Runtz you should buy that jeep truck for sale. Keep it all in the family....

Jakeman's? nah that needs to much work, not feelin a gear swap or the shitty mileage, i put almost 400 miles a week on the pacer, i need something that gets around 30, thats y im lookin into hondas and such

Thread Info