BUILD 1971 Nova - Work in Progress

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Just subscribed! What kind of camera and editing software are you using? The quality looks great!
About time boostie! J/k

Camera is a hero 9 with a UV lens. I was previously using hit film express but it’s buggy as hell and has problems with the media from GoPro at times. This latest video I started using VideoPad. The quality was noticeable with the new editor and was very easy to work with compared to hitfilm.

Reactions: Boostie

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2010
About time boostie! J/k

Camera is a hero 9 with a UV lens. I was previously using hit film express but it’s buggy as hell and has problems with the media from GoPro at times. This latest video I started using VideoPad. The quality was noticeable with the new editor and was very easy to work with compared to hitfilm.

Maybe I’ll have to upgrade! I have a hero 7 but do most of my filming with my phone lol Also edit using iMovie on my phone which also blows

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Last weekend I finally fixed a fuckup on my part. I installed the spindles backwards, so I had to take everything apart just to swap the spindles to the correct sides.

This weekend I started tearing into the motor, pulled the heads, pan, cam, lifters etc. The cam had some scoring on one of the journals and the lifters had some irregular wear. I know I lost the junkyard magic tearing into the motor and now I am debating on if I should continue to disassemble and have the block checked along with putting in new bearings.

Need some advice here please.

IMG_1410.JPGIMG_1409.JPGIMG_1408.JPGIMG_1407.JPG

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Last weekend I finally fixed a fuckup on my part. I installed the spindles backwards, so I had to take everything apart just to swap the spindles to the correct sides.

This weekend I started tearing into the motor, pulled the heads, pan, cam, lifters etc. The cam had some scoring on one of the journals and the lifters had some irregular wear. I know I lost the junkyard magic tearing into the motor and now I am debating on if I should continue to disassemble and have the block checked along with putting in new bearings.

Need some advice here please.

View attachment 148533View attachment 148534View attachment 148535View attachment 148536
You're already into the engine. Now's the time to freshen it up. Just keep your end goal in mind and try not to let it snowball. It shouldn't slow your build down too much and the cost for a little peace of mind will be small in the big picture of things.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Blue
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
If you just slid out the cam I'd say shove a SS2 or some other mildish cam in it with new lifter trays but you went too far.

When you've got the heads off there's no reason not to pop a few main caps and check bearings for wear, buy some new rings, and buy a gasket set and go from there. I'd certainly be tossing some extra ring gap in that bitch even if you plan on keeping it NA.

Overall though I'm of the opinion I'd have checked it for cranking compression on the stand, hooked an oil pressure gauge up and if it had good oil pressure/compression just put fresh gaskets on it and slide it in.