🔧 BUILD 1971 Nova - Work in Progress

General Information

1971 Nova - Insanity in Progress

I bought this Nova last year when I sold my mustang, I was a active member here when this was CSVT so all the info of my old car is still on this site. Some of you know me from other sites as well as some of the old CSVT members who are still around. I apologize in advance for being a little long winded.

I was looking to get back into a classic muscle car that I could restore and modify to my liking. I choose a Nova since they are cheap and my wife wanted it to be a chevy. I enjoy all makes/models domestic or import which is why I enjoy TCG.

Specs:
1971 2 Door Nova factory v8 auto

Engine
350 block 383 stroker
Cam - unknown (I have several cam cards from the previous owners not sure which one is installed)
Rods/pistons - unknown
Heads - stock
Edelbrock intake - unknown which model
Holley 750 double pumper

Trans
700R4
3200 Stall
Shift Kit - Jegs brand

Rearend
10 bolt 8.5
3:56 gears

I knew the car needed some work before I bought it....I just underestimated how bad some of it was going to be. When I got the car the owner I purchased it from had just primer bombed the car and splatter painted the trunk (was still fresh when I went to look at the car). I would have still bought the car but would have negotiated a better price, but hey live and learn. The guy I bought the car from purchased the car from an elderly couple in Ohio who had a binder of documentation which was a huge selling point to me. Unfortunately I didn't look closely to see that the receipts didn't have much specific information. So the documentation only shows dates and what parts were replaced not what they were replaced with (for the most part anyways.) Again no biggie.

The car had 3 paint jobs in it's life plus the primer the guy I bought the car from put on it. Under the primer was a Suzuki gold that was applied in 2002. (what a FUGLY ass color) under the gold was a red. Whenever the red was put on the car it also had extensive body filler applied but no rust or sheet metal repair, more on that later. Under the red was a factory correct blue. The cowl tag says the car should be Sandalwood, while I did find it on a few parts of the car this leads me to believe someone painted the car early on in it's life or worse someone swapped the vin and cowl tag to another car :dunno: . Also there were a few spots where Green was found, I'm assuming a donor car or junk yard parts replacement. To be honest with all the documentation I have it just confuses things even further. The car was also in a few fender benders, the worst being the passenger front fender.

In 2001 the whole suspension was replaced with stock equipment minus air shocks, this was also when the whole drive line was overhauled and the engine was turned into a 383 stroker. I'm just guessing and based on some info I've accumulated from Steves Nova Site SNS, everyone seems to agree this theoretical combo should be around 350-400hp 400+tq.

I drove the car for a few weeks and fixed some legal and safety equipment such as putting on the rear bumper, side mirrors and attaching the seat belts. The car actually drives pretty good, has some good low end torque and the trans shifts firm. These were all the reasons I purchased the car as I didn't want to blow the budget replacing the mechanical's right away while I concentrated on restoring the body and getting it in paint. I was originally hoping to have it in paint in early spring of this year. Currently it may see paint by spring summer of 2015. (crosses fingers)

Goals:
For now I want a nice cruiser that's got some decent hp/tq. I'd like to drive it around town and take it to a few cruises/car shows. During winter I always like to tinker and do upgrades.

My unrealistic dream goal would be to turn it into a pro-touring car. Sitting low on 18x10 or larger wheels. I would also drop in a LS series engine maybe a LQ4 on a tight budget or go wild with a LS3/6 variation. The car will stay an auto, I know some people won't understand that but I love a good auto as much as banging gears in a stick car.

Short term goals that are more realistic is to just restore the vehicle to good quality, I will keep the drivetrain as it is for now as it's in good shape and if anything blows up take it to the next level at that time (budget pending of course). The body will be fully repaired and painted by myself. It will be painted a blue (unsure of which specific color code at this time) but it will be a medium to dark hue.

Bottom line is all work will be done by me, in my garage with whatever tools I currently have or acquire. Hence the whole reason for purchasing this car.

Now to what's happened since I started work along with pics.

As I purchased it, as you can see the body doesn't look bad at all. Looking at it very throughly I could tell there was bondo/mud applied and I did notice some rust in the rear quarters and in the trunk area (which is common for these cars) I also noticed the body bushings were bad again another common problem with age.

IMG_1489 by Chris Watkins, on Flickr

IMG_1490 by Chris Watkins, on Flickr

Engine Bay, looks can be decieving, the whole front accessory system is a redneck engineer mess along with the fan and rad shroud.
IMG_1487 by Chris Watkins, on Flickr

IMG_1503 by Chris Watkins, on Flickr

IMG_1504 by Chris Watkins, on Flickr

Pics of the interior, the seats are trashed and the carpet doesn't fit right as it's either a universal or not the correct for this make/model/year.
IMG_1499 by Chris Watkins, on Flickr

I'll break this up into a few posts.
Reactions: Spivitz and HeavyG

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
If you are going turbo the compression is good as is. The only thing you'd need to change is the rods. Early rods are weak, the later rods will take over 1000 hp. If no boost heads from a 5.3 0r 4.8 up the c.r. I have a shortened truck pan. I took measurements off a holley pan and welded a truck pan to match. If you get a chance to check the truck pan in your suframe it should fit , just hang low. If that is true it can just be shortened up.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
If you are going turbo the compression is good as is. The only thing you'd need to change is the rods. Early rods are weak, the later rods will take over 1000 hp. If no boost heads from a 5.3 0r 4.8 up the c.r. I have a shortened truck pan. I took measurements off a holley pan and welded a truck pan to match. If you get a chance to check the truck pan in your suframe it should fit , just hang low. If that is true it can just be shortened up.

I need to double check this but I think the front valley needs to be cut back as well as the depth to fit. From what I remember the steering linkage hits the front of the pan at full lock.

I’m also a little worried about cutting the pan and oil pickup tube. I am not the best welder especially with TIG, I’d be afraid it wouldn’t seal or I would have a oil pressure problem doing it myself.

I do know a few welders but haven’t asked to see what they would charge. I am usually the first person to do things on the cheap but for the piece of mind the cost of a new pan with the right tray and tube makes the cost seem worth it.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Doing my update now as I am sitting in front of the motor. I want to document as I go so I don’t forget or miss anything. I have no clue about LS style motors other than what I have read up on. So I am labeling what I can and will have to figure out what I couldn’t label. I will have to edit this post after I upload the pictures so I can add a description.

Tag on the ecu, the sticker is falling off and I will need to clean it as it’s just as nasty as the motor.

fac508333de2fecaccb95cb9d52478d5.jpg

Wires that were cut, they were on the passenger side facing the front of the motor. Vehicle specific wiring?
a5892f5d723f09eaea9f19644cf73f55.jpg

6d86fca21ffbe6bed868b34b87f403a6.jpg

Coolant hoses, I am guessing these went to the heater core.
a3482cbcf5040c45d55666a3c9e93975.jpg

EGR, I will be ditching the manifolds and deleting the EGR, need to look up the block off plate for the manifold.
f61155b74ed416c30d16dd1a67b7ed1c.jpg

Another view
3a094ce8d64790b0ac56e70a1422c24e.jpg

A/C lines were cut, I will be keeping the compressor for the vintage air unit. Depending on how this fits in the subframe I may need to relocate it up top.

Going to have to figure out how to disconnect these lines, looks like it is hard lined onto the cylinders that are bolted to the compressor.
ad2a561415c1b547c45deba5cb078ff9.jpg

Took the Beauty cover off to remove wiring and the throttle cables. The cables were cut so they look useless. May need to get a replacement from another truck or lokar.
8f71728fe99c64920bd0ea36b729f0d0.jpg

?
92a0eb0b150f306626fa5ac32ea9dfdb.jpg

Wiring for the alt, think there is a sensor I can’t identify yet.

1f592ba4d0ebf512ab0fa8fa6fccd625.jpg

A sensor on the rear of the intake
1bd5390c08ea57389e6b0588f2edeffe.jpg

Close up of said sensor
7862f32da65db0cd24827a27a03c41e6.jpg

Unknown sensors on the block behind the intake
97fc160fb978090531cc4cbe72444284.jpg

Another view
649ba8240dea198f5a9b97e9a415fa2f.jpg

Crap I have pulled off the motor, cut coolant hoses, cut fuel rail lines. I will need to figure out how to best get my fuel lines connected to the rails.
358cad1492ca1b904667fe2d148e914a.jpg

Motor with the harness removed, the motor is sitting on a wheel dolly and the harness is caught under the front oil pan so I can’t pull the harness away till I get a hoist and a stand to put the motor on.

40acd7e18373b8ba05e7e8fa5809d2f3.jpg

PCV plastic line is broke, there wasn’t any oil showing on the dipstick but the residue looks very dirty.

Need to identify these unknown sensors so I can label them. Get the motor on a stand so I can pull the pan and inspect the bottom end. Wondering if I should pull the heads and intake to at least re-gasket those and get a look at the cylinders and walls. Thoughts?

Going to be fun cleaning this and the trans...

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
O2 sensor were cut off, found the driver side, not sure if it is the front or rear.

2ddc0105a06bdd7ed0f147219f651243.jpg

Thinking this is the connector to the inside of the vehicle

4bdcbf3c8ce761f124497407d0220045.jpg

No clue what this box is

5b68ed92848875319ee61a50b4a02461.jpg

Other misc connectors that are upstream from the driver O2 sensor. These were disconnected from the guy who pulled the motor. They are part of the same wiring leg as the sensors on the back of the block behind the intake.

38c96ed06f337ded0eee1508cb47eb75.jpg

f6bdd250cb5ea526ae7ac95a047cb243.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Okay, I'll help you out with some of this since it's an area I know the hell something about unlike body work.

Sensor on the intake is a MAP sensor. Eventually you'll want to go 2 or 3 BAR probably, that's going to be a 1BAR.

Sensor on the block behind the intake is probably a combination oil pressure sender (gauge) and oil pressure safety switch. This controls the FP relay if its a switch.

I am guessing there is only one connection to the rails? If so they're returnless. There's a Corvette regulator/fuel filter you can use, or you can get an external FPR and put it right beside it. You can also get a return set of rails if you're into the $$$ for them. ED:It may be a return system, I noticed you have a drive by cable throttle body. That means you're talking a slightly earlier engine.

Knock sensors are under the intake typically.

You may have to trace the O2 sensors to the pins in the ECU. That said, if there's one in the manifold then that's going to be the rear one.

The green "inside the vehicle" connector is to the 4L80E.

The mystery square box is a switch that goes on the side of a 4L80E to show what gear its in. Earlier ones do not have it.

The rest is going to probably be tracking based on color coding and getting a continuity tester and checking at the ECU plug. GM is pretty decent about commonality in a lot of cases. Find a schematic for an OEM application of your engine and you should get 90%+ of the pin out determined.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Slow and steady... I spent all day battling this wiper motor relocation.

First up, dug out the wiper motor. Then make sure my marked location wouldn’t interfere.

Then cutting out the hole.

4fdf658a163556fa13e6454f58c19c8a.jpg

I trimmed this very slowly with a carbide bit so I could get a tight interference fit. It stays in place and doesn’t move even with nothing holding it to the firewall.

1ff69b647a1b9a9997ac3bf0e4b4258f.jpg

eec6390e7cb8f34ac747538bd168ce26.jpg

I then threw the fender on to make sure the hood mounting hole and the motor itself wouldn’t be in the way.

8066270fa26e8481e8e73adeb8af0724.jpg

Under the fender

0a7dab3180d933204c3f5bccdc8fa169.jpg

Then on to extending the wiper arm to meet the new location. First I had to take the assembly out of the cowl. In doing so I snapped 3 of the 4 bolts.

The little silver spot is the thread stuck in the mount.

a80a20ab44a4bb68d424923e30e77e4c.jpg

After drilling and tapping those I then cut the wiper arm and used a 5/16 solid rod and beveled each end so it fit properly between the two cut ends. I used two vice grips to temporarily hold them in place.

This is looking down into the cowl after I remounted the wiper linkage. The other vice grip is further inside the cowl not seen.
baef569d73f38e709873ac4543b94eb2.jpg

With all that done I needed to see if it would bind up, after spinning the motor arm several times I still wasn’t sure. I found a 12v power source and tested out the terminals till I found the right ones. Added power and I was extremely surprised it not only worked but didn’t bind up even with a pair of vice grips stuffed in the cowl.

I had to stop for the day there, I will weld the beveled rod to the linkage later. I will also need to devise how I want to bolt in the motor. I’m thinking of getting some nutserts and trying that.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I tried to get the motor on the stand and ran into a few problems. The guy who delivered the motor used a strap and wrapped it around the manifolds, so the motor is quite unbalanced and front heavy.

6be9ba84dab2e76e9a03dd1f2784cb78.jpg

So I pulled some of the front accessories off, got the alt, power steering and A/C compressor off before I realized I should have taken the fan off while the belt was still on. I will use a ratchet strap later, just sucks because it would have been 10x easier if I had thought of it before.

ae6849fd9416801933281dfa1afc5ef7.jpg

I also noticed that there are a few of the exhaust manifold bolts snapped off in the head.

aed79a6048f9277d04b20e0cd331651e.jpg

787fe5b5eec198d55fcc87f85a025cf3.jpg

Now I know where the exhaust leak is that the seller was telling me about. This does not look fun. Some of these bolts are snapped flush with the deck of the head.

I called it a day at this point, I caught a chest cold and was feeling like dog shit.

I ordered up a leveler for the hoist, I also need to grab another bag of washers. Hopefully next weekend it’s mounted on the stand and I can pull the pan.

JBruno88

TCG Elite Member
Apr 3, 2014
Carol Stream, IL
Exhaust manifold bolts being snapped off into the heads are a common problem on these motors. Steel bolt being put into an aluminum head. The constant heat cycles will cause it to snap off over time.

You should be able to get them out even if they are flush with an extraction tool.

Great build, been following it from the beginning on the sidelines!

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Exhaust manifold bolts being snapped off into the heads are a common problem on these motors. Steel bolt being put into an aluminum head. The constant heat cycles will cause it to snap off over time.

You should be able to get them out even if they are flush with an extraction tool.

Great build, been following it from the beginning on the sidelines!

Of course I have steel heads not aluminum :tear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bZyw3OSIgk

Makes it look easy, but should be okay.

I've done this in the past, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, I will be giving it a whirl though.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Oh i forgot you said the motor came from a 99 truck. Yeah those are cast iron heads. Might be worth while to spend the 200 bucks to get you a set of aluminum heads.

It's a evil thought that has crossed my mind. If I do end up swapping out heads I will look into another casting vs the aluminum version of the 317's. I just haven't done enough research to figure out which one will give me the best bang for the buck.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Finally got the motor on the stand, it is one heavy dirty bitch.

80b02c1d12c6aa1c77c29d3f4faa5871.jpg

I tried to turn the motor 90 degrees to get more coolant out and the stand didn’t want to allow the motor to rotate. I got it a few degrees and then it just seized. Had to hook the hoist up again to get some weight off it to turn it the other few degrees back. I left the hoist connected but with no weight off the stand. Going to leave it like this for a static test.

I then drained the oil, man this motor was used like a $2 whore.

241cb7e7eded71f4d1bffcbd90b85823.jpg

Didn’t smell of gas and no visible coolant but pitch black and very viscous like the oil wasn’t changed regularly.

The drain plug has a magnetic tip, there was a small amount of metal on it.

78c55e5e976c25048f5d7936ac562335.jpg

I then pulled all the plugs, took pics of all of them but they all looked the same. None were wet but lots of carbon.

e1be07c0e370cf4394de641d9ee586eb.jpg

I pulled the driver side valve cover just to take a peek.

9966d39bc460f11818d15e923914776a.jpg

I then pulled the exhaust manifolds, this was more to get additional weight off the stand. You can see in these pics the manifold bolts have been broken for some time. Amazingly none of them broke on me.

0eaee7b57ca2db806e1020aabef9529f.jpg

c4f7927dd5af44d04ea92d68a403eb35.jpg

Cylinder 3 exhaust valve had a touch of oil on it.

bf16cec54f63bbe15091939ed80f64ba.jpg

Random valve showing the carbon buildup.

02855248ff63c1a12882df9f897fe1cc.jpg

I was able to use a little PB blaster and a pair of blue handle channel lock pliers to extract the 3 bolts that broke off exposed. There are still 2 bolts that either broke off flush or inside the head.

When I get time next week I will try rotating the motor again and pulling the pan. Hopefully I have enough off the motor to allow it to rotate freely. I want to inspect the bottom end before I do any mock-up.

Thread Info