1966 Chevelle-making it my own. From stock 283/powerglide to LS3/4L80e and full restoration.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
Ram air is in.

jPlFr4Gh.jpg

CC3XogIl.jpg

Great White Drake

Jun 23, 2010
how did you route it under the hood?

pic plz?

No tubing routing needed. The funnel ends just past the core support about 1” from the air filter. No pics because the bay was loaded with metal chips and I was too tired to clean up lol. The other side w/o filter is just open into the bay, I guess fresh air is better than heat. It didn’t look right with only one side done.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff

Great White Drake

Jun 23, 2010
So cruising around, the car is just fine. But when I floor it and get up in rpm’s there’s a miss/stutter. I feel the car stop pullling as hard(even though it still pulls) but can hear it in the exhaust. I’m hoping it’s from the ram air and it’s just a lean condition that can be tuned out. I basically went from a 1”x2” opening by the air filter to a gaping 4” hole directly in front of the filter lol. It has a fresh tank of 93 so that’s ruled out.

I also no longer have the air intake resting on the upper radiator hose which made a HUGE difference on intake pipe temp. So it’s also seeing more dense air, on top of that, I’ve been driving it in 50° weather. Sooooo I’m hoping it’s just lean but what’s everyone’s thoughts here? I also changed converters and moved battery to the back but I don’t see that effecting anything.

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
I had a miss under load at full /heavy throttle. It was ultimately tracked down to my harness. It was a PIA to diagnose. I'd see if anyone near you has HP Tuners to be able to data log what is happening. You may be lucky enough that it's a miss on specific cylinder. Then you can swap coil, plug, wire, etc one at a time with another known good cylinder.

I also had a minor miss caused by an improperly welded O2 bung that caused some outside air to enter.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
So cruising around, the car is just fine. But when I floor it and get up in rpm’s there’s a miss/stutter. I feel the car stop pullling as hard(even though it still pulls) but can hear it in the exhaust. I’m hoping it’s from the ram air and it’s just a lean condition that can be tuned out. I basically went from a 1”x2” opening by the air filter to a gaping 4” hole directly in front of the filter lol. It has a fresh tank of 93 so that’s ruled out.

I also no longer have the air intake resting on the upper radiator hose which made a HUGE difference on intake pipe temp. So it’s also seeing more dense air, on top of that, I’ve been driving it in 50° weather. Sooooo I’m hoping it’s just lean but what’s everyone’s thoughts here? I also changed converters and moved battery to the back but I don’t see that effecting anything.

Did you put new plugs in it this year? You could try to pinch the gap back a touch but without boost that’s probably not your problem still possible

Great White Drake

Jun 23, 2010
T clamps are shot for my intake so I ordered new ones. Tightened them up and it got much better. But they come loose on their own and I even snapped one tightening the damn thing. It’s a slight miss too if first but if I’m rolling and floor it, it’ll downshift to 2nd and move tf out. With this new converter, Rpms drop from 6900 to around 6100 after the shift now compared to 5200 last year. Feels great and keeps pulling. Looking at my dyno sheet there’s a 50hp difference between these two rpms.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
T clamps are shot for my intake so I ordered new ones. Tightened them up and it got much better. But they come loose on their own and I even snapped one tightening the damn thing. It’s a slight miss too if first but if I’m rolling and floor it, it’ll downshift to 2nd and move tf out. With this new converter, Rpms drop from 6900 to around 6100 after the shift now compared to 5200 last year. Feels great and keeps pulling. Looking at my dyno sheet there’s a 50hp difference between these two rpms.

Be careful on tightening the t-clamps too much, sometimes that can deform the pipe and not seal properly.

Do you think you are taking in unmetered air?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Everything has under 4500 miles on it so I haven’t checked plugs and valve springs yet. I did groundctye computer directly to the neg on the battery and added a ground strap from where the harness grounds to the back of the head I added a ground to the firewall.

I probably over change mine but I throw new plugs in it every season, I had some brisk plugs that fould up after half a year on 93 for whatever reason, hope you get it figured out we need a track day soon

Great White Drake

Jun 23, 2010
Cause unless it's boosted ain't no loose clamp Gunna cause Lean unless your air filter is plugged. Na engine vacuum isn't that crah

One of the clamp is after the maf, so unmetered air is getting in on top of the ram air. It’s getting tuned May 3rd, we’ll see what it does then. It’s probabl not as bad as everyone thinks, I tired getting it on video and you can’t hear it. I can hear it in the exhaust, it just doesn’t sound like it’s climbing rpm clean. Best way I can put it. Might as well change my plugs before the tune I guess.

Thread Info