Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The only thing I will have to get used to is the 1 screen in the car. It will be different at first, and I will admit on the test drive I missed it a bit and found myself looking down for my speed and then having to look over a bit to the right. Beyond that bit, the seats felt great, the overall interior was very nice. It was simple, but it felt done correctly. Definitely not something that sells well via photos, but sells much better in person.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
So whats the difference this and the 3? Explain the Y to me.

Literally a model 3 but magnified 40% on a copy machine. Lol the body is changed slightly in the front and rear. But it shares most components with the 3.

Gets about 320 miles of range to a charge. Really impressive. Also fuck itā€™s fast. It really throws you for a loop because itā€™s an suv, and then boom it plants you in your seat.

Faster than my S Iā€™m pretty sure

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Congrats!

Can you adjust the wiper speed using the stalk, or do you have to use the stalk to turn on, then the touchscreen to go from slow/fast? Also, what kind of "real world" mileage are they getting in comparison to what the are rated at? Granted I know some conditions will affect that (cold vs hot, etc).

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Congrats!

Can you adjust the wiper speed using the stalk, or do you have to use the stalk to turn on, then the touchscreen to go from slow/fast? Also, what kind of "real world" mileage are they getting in comparison to what the are rated at? Granted I know some conditions will affect that (cold vs hot, etc).
Germany just banned Tesla's touch wipers :rofl:

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Congrats!

As far as I know itā€™s only on the touch screen. Itā€™s 1 button thatā€™s always there. Click it and they turn on. Pretty simple, itā€™s always in the same spot just like a stalk. No idea how that German dude had an issue. Itā€™s quite literally 1 button push.

As far as mileage I cannot comment in personal experience yet. But real world test showed 70-75 mph on the highway with normal comforts on yielded 275 miles of range. However this was a performance model y I saw which is already rated slightly less due to 21 inch rims.

So I would say anything between 270-300 miles is accurate.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Germany just banned Tesla's touch wipers :rofl:
Did they ban them though? I know there was a court case where the driver was ticketed for using an electronic device while driving and had an accident, and they protested it was integral to the function of the vehicle, so the judge threw out the ticket. IIRC he was trying to change from slow to fast in deteriorating conditions.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Did they ban them though? I know there was a court case where the driver was ticketed for using an electronic device while driving and had an accident, and they protested it was integral to the function of the vehicle, so the judge threw out the ticket. IIRC he was trying to change from slow to fast in deteriorating conditions.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
My thing is if he crashed changing the radio on a normal car with a touch screen would that be banned? The rear ac controls on the wifeā€™s suv are done via the touch screen.... so would that suddenly be banned?

Itā€™s a fluke and they had a knee jerk reaction to it. It was dumb

Reactions: frank

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Touch screens are nice for some things. But honestly. Tactile buttons RULE for anything that takes your attention away from the road. A rotary knob for volume is king.

Talks on the column, or buttons on the wheel are honestly best if you can memorize and learn them. That way you don't think you just touch.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
My thing is if he crashed changing the radio on a normal car with a touch screen would that be banned? The rear ac controls on the wifeā€™s suv are done via the touch screen.... so would that suddenly be banned?

Itā€™s a fluke and they had a knee jerk reaction to it. It was dumb
I agree, but I also think touchscreens are horrible for interacting with systems while operating a vehicle.

Now if they were fully automated cars, then that wouldn't matter and that is what Tesla is going for but I still think tactile buttons are much better if a human is controlling the vehicle.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Stink Star

Donā€™t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
So the wipers on the 3/Y work via the touch screen on a dedicated tab below the speedo. The default setting is auto and having owned 2 other cars with auto wipers it is easily the best auto wipers Iā€™ve used. I literally havenā€™t had to use the onscreen wiper controls ever with the exception of turning them off for a car wash.

on the end of the turn signal stalk there is a button. A soft press on it will give you the ā€œ1 wipeā€ function if you just need to clear a few drops and a harder press and hold will give you the washer fluid spray and 3 wipe function.

like I said the auto wipers are honestly so good I see the whole thing as a non issue. If they didnā€™t work so well Iā€™d say it was a mild pain in the ass But itā€™s simply not the case.

the other interesting thing about how Teslas work is that say, in Germany they can reprogram the car to make it where a double tap or a 3 second press on the turn signal stalk button can be configured to turn the wipers on and off, thereby fixing whatever regulatory issues they may have. Iā€™d love to see any other company even have the ability to do that let alone making it actually happen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info