• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

15 years later, Cobra needs some love

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
It has been many years since I have been invested in the car enthusiast scene, and many years since the Cobra has even moved so much as five miles, but it is at the point where the old girl requires some TLC.

Besides general body work and paint reconditioning, fluid flushes, gaskets, plugs, and the other typical necessities, I need to find a tuner to sharpen things up. Last time I had that done was possibly 2007~ with Speed Inc and a Diablo programmer, but nowadays I couldnt even tell you what the best software is or who is a reputable nationwide tuner, let alone a local who can strap it to a dyno or tune it on the street.

If anyone has any recommendations for a local dyno/street tuner, or a nationwide tuner (google says Lund is still working...but is he still magic?), in addition to a good shop to perform basic maintenance and low level upgrades (cooling, transmission, suspension, fuel) I would be very grateful.

Thanks all.

Hank

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
I would recommend Tim Barth for tuning and I believe he works with a shop that does pretty good work

I still recommend Tim. His drivability tune in my 04 was fantastic.

Another vote for Tim

Yet another vote for a great experience with Tim.

Would that be the same Tim Barth from the Modular Powerhouse days? Google says Barth Tuning outside of Rockford now... is that correct?

From what family has told me I am confident that the car would not make it that far under its own power (currently in storage in Bloomington, Il) Does Tim do any remote tuning? ...at least enough to let it limp up North.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Would that be the same Tim Barth from the Modular Powerhouse days? Google says Barth Tuning outside of Rockford now... is that correct?

From what family has told me I am confident that the car would not make it that far under its own power (currently in storage in Bloomington, Il) Does Tim do any remote tuning? ...at least enough to let it limp up North.

That's him. No clue if he remote tunes. What has changed on the car that would make it undriveable? I understand changing plugs and fluids, but if it ran when parked and no changes were made it should run as before.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
That's him. No clue if he remote tunes. What has changed on the car that would make it undriveable? I understand changing plugs and fluids, but if it ran when parked and no changes were made it should run as before.
Nothing has been changed in about ten years. My guess would be physical deterioration.

I haven't driven it myself in a few years, but according to the family member who occasionally takes it around the block it has been running like a beat dump truck the past year or so. Aggressively hunts for idle, has gone dead at speed, things of that nature.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Nothing has been changed in about ten years. My guess would be physical deterioration.

I haven't driven it myself in a few years, but according to the family member who occasionally takes it around the block it has been running like a beat dump truck the past year or so. Aggressively hunts for idle, has gone dead at speed, things of that nature.

They're putting good gas in it right? Maybe a tow is in pester to get it somewhere and checked out to make sure.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Replace the spark plugs and fuel filter and if it's been sitting that long drain the fuel and put new gas in it. Unless the car ran like shit with the old tune a tune will do nothing to fix the mechanical issues the car has.
That was my first reaction. New plugs and a filter are already on their way, if that solves it, great. The old tune was decent, but could certainly use a refresh.

Aughh! Cobra allowed to deteriorate to the point it barely runs.

Just give it to me, Hank, and I will restore it to its former levels of glory... and keep it. :smile:
Florida? It would be more humane to just burn it.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Replace the spark plugs and fuel filter and if it's been sitting that long drain the fuel and put new gas in it. Unless the car ran like shit with the old tune a tune will do nothing to fix the mechanical issues the car has.

That was my first reaction. New plugs and a filter are already on their way, if that solves it, great. The old tune was decent, but could certainly use a refresh.

Update:

I was in town mid August and while the car was indeed running like garbage, it was very obvious to me that it was a spark problem. Pulled the plugs, saw that 7 and 8 were the culprits, replaced 1-8 with fresh TR6s, fired her up and she idled smooth with a more expected exhaust odor.

Dropped in a few gallons of fresh 93, rolled around feeling out any other issues with the car, then went and flogged it on some country roads. Never stumbled, pulled hard past 6K despite a little belt slip, and stock clutch held up. The only issue I felt is that the body feels a little looser than I remember. But with only 30K on the clock it has probably always been that loose.

It still needs a good amount of TLC, and when the time for that ever comes I will certainly look into Tim Barth... and a wet sanding guy... I don't know how it happens, but every time I see it the paint gets worse and worse.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info