$15 an hour minimum wage coming to Illinois

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
JB just signed it into law....

From $8.25 to $9.25 on Jan 1, 2020.
From $9.25 to $10.00 on July 1, 2020.
From $10.00 to $11.00 on January 2021.
Then another dollar every January until it's at $15.00 in 2025.

I don't know what we're going to do here at work, we're a small assembly house who pays people definitely more than minimum wage, but now we'll likely have to follow these amounts to keep people from not leaving I'm guessing.

Can't wait to tell all the customers that rates will be going up accordingly as well.

Why do more specialized work for $16-17 an hour when you can do mindless shit for $15 an hour someplace close to home.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
cant wait to see robots everywhere doing jerbs

lastls1

Reaction score
Man. What a time to be alive for a young high school kid. When I was that age it was $6.25 or something like that for a basic stock boy job I had. Paid for some gas and misc things here and there.

Shit now they are going to be rolling in the dough for moving some boxes around.

I’m super jealous

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
Man. What a time to be alive for a young high school kid. When I was that age it was $6.25 or something like that for a basic stock boy job I had. Paid for some gas and misc things here and there.

Shit now they are going to be rolling in the dough for moving some boxes around.

I’m super jealous

The wages for those under 18 will be going up the same way, but will end at $13 an hour in 2025....

Cant wait to see peoples faces when they get a #5 in a drive thru and the total is $3 more.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
The legislation creates a tax credit to help smaller businesses offset the cost of the minimum wage hike. Businesses with 50 or fewer employees would be able to claim a tax credit for 25 percent of the cost in 2020. That tax credit would gradually decrease over the next several years, eventually phasing out.

The minimum wage law also preserves the state’s so-called “tip credit,” which allows employers to pay tipped employees 40 percent of the minimum wage, so long as the employer makes up the difference if employees’ tips don’t actually add up to at least the full minimum wage.
interesting

lastls1

Reaction score
Either way $13 dollars? Hot damn. I would have had every video game and system back then when I was that young if I made that kind of money.

I already order from a machine at Panera bread. I assume I will be doing the same at most other places very soon.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score

I’m super jealous
I wouldn't be jealous.

Because you made horseshit money, you saw the need to better yourself, try harder, and do more, now with this new legislation- the possibility could arise that young people don't feel the need to try harder/work more, because they'd be making 30k per year working 40 hours doing jack shit.

lastls1

Reaction score
I wouldn't be jealous.

Because you made horseshit money, you saw the need to better yourself, try harder, and do more, now with this new legislation- the possibility could arise that young people don't feel the need to try harder/work more, because they'd be making 30k per year working 40 hours doing jack shit.

That is a really excellent point. I wonder if we will start to see a sharp decline in post high school education.

Why go into debt 40k for student loans when I can ask you if you want fries with that for 30k?

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
Lots of gun laws, mileage tax laws, minimum wage laws. The IL dems and Pritzker have been hard at work.

Still nothing regarding the real issue at hand, IL's pension crisis. Still nothing regarding new revenue generators, legal recreational pot and legal sports gambling.

b4black

Reaction score
And you all thought those McDonald's workers a few years back protesting for $15 an hour were crazy and would never get it......

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
I remember working at Jewel when I was 15 with a workers permit. I made $5.25/hr. I couldn't imagine getting paid double or triple that back then.

But agreed that's just going to inflate the price on goods and services.

Fuck Illinois.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
$15/hour still isn't going to do shit for most people. I'd hardly call that a living wage. I don't know why I get so fired up about this. I'm just a firm believer in letting the market determine what your income is. I'd love to hear arguments for the other side.

I'd have to go see if Crowder has any videos on $15/hour, I like the guy's videos.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
so i got 5 years to figure out where the hell im going to uproot myself and move to another state. cool. thanks pritzerfuckface

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
It is going to be interesting to see the IL out flight numbers are going to be now that it is a democratic supermajority paradise.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
$15/hour still isn't going to do shit for most people. I'd hardly call that a living wage. I don't know why I get so fired up about this. I'm just a firm believer in letting the market determine what your income is. I'd love to hear arguments for the other side.

I'd have to go see if Crowder has any videos on $15/hour, I like the guy's videos.
minimum wage jobs are not meant to be a living. theyre meant for supplementary jobs, or for a teen or college kid.

just cuz becky has 6 kids with 5 different daddys and only works part time at a BP station selling watermelon blunt wraps and wood tip swisher sweets doesnt mean she deserves $15/hr.

i mean FUCK. if thats the case, ill go get a job as a bagger at jewel so can stare at the MILFs and collect my $600/week check for doing virtually nothing.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA

Donating Member
Reaction score
i mean FUCK. if thats the case, ill go get a job as a bagger at jewel so can stare at the MILFs and collect my $600/week check for doing virtually nothing.

This is my biggest concern with my own company... Are people going to want to work for slightly more than minimum wage when they can just do a mindless job for $15?

Imagine all the jobs that are in the $14-$17 an hour range right now, those people are going to want to get paid $5-6 more than minimum wage like they currently are I would assume....

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be jealous.

I also think the rising minimum wage will begin changing the job market. The jobs that are able to be automated or augmented with automation will continue to disappear with increases in wages. Employers are going to expect more from employees and jobs become more skill demanding by nature. Employees with people skills are going to become more in demand.

We are living in a very unique place in time due to the integration of advanced technology.

In our lifetimes we are going to have to tackle some major ethical issues with technology and making sure everyone in society is provided for. Things are not going to be as they always were. You crotchety old fucks want to cry about how it’s becoming a welfare state but this is the way the future is moving. Long gone are the days of the man of the house working a factory job being able to afford a house, stay at home wife, two kids and a car parked in the driveway. I don’t know how anyone is surprised at what is happening now, it’s a progression.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
bbbinnngggooo

there's a designated survivor episode where a character (who mirrors elon musk a lot of times) is asked by the president to hold off 3-5 years implementing his new fully automated robotic factories to save jobs for a little while- and the character rightfully brings up that the change is inevitable.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well as far as I know, engineers are still retards so I'll be safe for a little while

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i see a serious job shift to hospitality/service industries- stuff robots can't do and away from product focused.... especially since millenials are so much more experience focused than product focused.

high end food, hotels & experiences, custom finishes/products, luxury items like massages, nails, hair, etc.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
Well as far as I know, engineers are still retards so I'll be safe for a little while
I really think vehicle manufacturers are trying their absolute best to wean out independent shops going forward.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
Imagine all the jobs that are in the $14-$17 an hour range right now, those people are going to want to get paid $5-6 more than minimum wage like they currently are I would assume....
yup. and then, ill be raising my rates and fees aswell.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
This is my biggest concern with my own company... Are people going to want to work for slightly more than minimum wage when they can just do a mindless job for $15?

$5-6 more per hour or more likely- the equivalent increase in percentage...

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Theirs not much they can do... We already oat a fuck ton for their soft ware. But the after market is just as good.

Mile mile warranty? OK that cuts profit..... Never happen.

The only thing the OEs have is information and scenarios. Meaning they can make a good guess what part has failed and have a $15/hr schmuck change it....

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i mean im not saying it's going to happen overnight but it'd be something to think about.

especially with a shift towards alternative fuel/electric shit that is SO much more reliable than it's fuel burning counterparts.

oe specific repairs/parts/etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom