10 Year Car loans

Would you take out a 10 year loan

• Total voters

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
While perusing wicked cars for sale, I stumbled across an ad for a rare Super Stock Hellcat. Obviously over $100k and way out of my price range. But I noticed they offered 10 year loans for it. So I did a little more Google research and sure enough, you can get 10 year loans for exotics and Barrett-Jackson cars. Kinda makes sense since those vehicles will somewhat retain their value and will prolly get flipped. Now, I know there are some self proclaimed financial wizards on here, but would you take out a 10 year loan for something wicked? Like a Ferrari, Lambo, GTR, or a Barret Jackson car? Remember this isn’t a 10 year loan for a minivan. Please vote.

054A01CF-DFCA-4D40-9817-4FED0E72447C.jpeg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
If you need a 10 year loan to buy a fucking exotic car, you have no business buying an exotic car. What the hell do people think it costs to maintain stuff?

Americans have been conditioned to be payment consumers instead of price consumers.

A mortgage is the only loan I’d consider over a 10 year term.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Depends on the interest. 0% gimme dat money.
Even at 0%, how much do you need down to not be underwater while making such a small dent in the principal.

I couldn’t even pick a car I’d want to own for 10 years.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Why not? There's no laws saying you can't pay more towards principal. I will always take the longest loan possible as long as the interest isn't crazy. When you look at even if you hit some hard times for a couple months you don't have to sell all of your shit. Just plan to pay more a few times per year. I paid my truck off around 55 months and had a 72 month loan. Just because you take out a 10 year loan that doesn't mean you have to run it out to full term.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I think there is a balance to being financially responsible and getting something you love because it will bring enjoyment into your life. I think a 10 year car loan falls outside that balance. You’ll probably be happy initially but the pain of that car note will continue so long it will prevent you from doing other things you want to do in life and just be a burden at that point.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Why not? There's no laws saying you can't pay more towards principal. I will always take the longest loan possible as long as the interest isn't crazy. When you look at even if you hit some hard times for a couple months you don't have to sell all of your shit. Just plan to pay more a few times per year. I paid my truck off around 55 months and had a 72 month loan. Just because you take out a 10 year loan that doesn't mean you have to run it out to full term.
Some people here. Will. Lmao

• Wow
Reactions: willsmysticcobra

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I currently cannot ever think of a time when I would take out a 10 year loan on anything other than a mortgage. I don't need a 150k car if I'm paying for it for 10 years....

That being said, there was a point when my parents were shocked that they paid more for a car then they did for the house because they bought it in the late 60's.

If we get to a point where average cost of a car is 75k and loaded models are 100k plus I might have a different outlook.

Are car manufacturers going to extend their warranties? I'm not taking a ten year loan on a car when the warranty ends after 5 years.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
What about for a rare car like the Hellcat drag pack. I think 1 of 50. Shouldn’t lose value.
View attachment 114570
Every hellcat EVER MADE will lose value relative to what they cost today. Different variants of the same fucking car have been mass produced for 8 years now.

And you'd have to be a literal retard to think taking out a 10 year loan, when the auto market is severely inflated, is even remotely logical. Every forecast on the planet says US auto production is going to ramp back up to historical norms by 2023, which will drive used prices way down.

You can't afford the cars you want, period. If you wanna change that make more money.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Because the rate on a 10 year loan will always be significantly higher than a "normal" loan to account for risk and time.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I think there is a balance to being financially responsible and getting something you love because it will bring enjoyment into your life. I think a 10 year car loan falls outside that balance. You’ll probably be happy initially but the pain of that car note will continue so long it will prevent you from doing other things you want to do in life and just be a burden at that point.

giphy.gif

Thread Info