10,000 trailer 1/8 mile drag race

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Vgt is awesomeness. It's also part of the reason we go through so many turbos.

I love it when the kiddos come in and say they blew up their turbo when really the vgt vanes are stuck :rofl: faggits.

Vgt works, very well. On 6.4s I can make like 14 psi in park at like 1500 rpm. Best way to look for boost leaks.

This twin scroll thing, I haz to look into. Never heard of it

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Big hp/tq diesels are fun to watch. So much weight moved like it's nothing. lol

Seems like the diesel world likes the VGT/variable vane turbos but for some reason they are rare on gasoline? Gasoline likes the twin scroll

I'm sure it is due to cost. It is cheap to cast a twin scroll turbine housing and turbine wheel. I believe the 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo was the first gas engine car to use the BW VGT turbos. They work great in that application and are still used in the current 911.

Not only can you close the vanes to help spool quickly, but it isn't just closed down low and open up top. Especially when you tune the car for more power. The tuner can change the angle of the vanes back and forth throughout the whole rpm to deal with back pressure, presser ratios, and to drive the turbo to help extend the power rpm of the power band. So it can really help overcome some issues you couldn't otherwise control with a standard wheel/housing and wastegate setup. It is a neat technology for sure.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The Turbo IV, correct? That was a Garret turbo. I think I read that they had issues with the vanes moving due to rust and deposits. They programmed it so that when you started the car it would reposition the vanes back and forth to try and "clean" them and keep them operational. But they still had issues with them over time. I also think they said that small motor also spooled in half the time of a traditional turbo. So proved beneficial. But I think most companies don't use them due to cost.

I remember those cars had a lot of aftermarket support. A buddy was a V8 mopar guy. But I would read his mopar magazines and see some crazy quick turbo 4 cars that were modified.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Yup. Ford especially has had several flashes over the years to help with coking, but it never helps. They used to sweep it every now and then. Now not so much. People wire in switches to command a full sweep.... Bottom line is beat the piss out of it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
holy cow! All this bewst and I'm in park!

Xn657on.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info