GM 1 piece Carbon Fiber vs 2 piece aluminum drive shaft for the GTO - looking for advice

keitho64

Reaction score
So the winter mod bug is upon me and I plan to swap the drive shaft in my GTO. I am torn between a 1 piece CF or the 2 piece aluminum shaft.

My car is a 05 6-speed with 4:11 gears. The engine is basically stock. It is a street car the majority of its time. I use it for fun road trips like Tail of the Dragon and any decent roads in the Midwest I can find. I do not drag race the car. The whole suspension is focused on corner carving. I put about 5,000 miles a year on the car and it is not used in winter.

I intend to do some standing mile runs as well as road events with the car. I am sure in the standing mile I will be over 155 and am worried about the one piece aluminum shafts, however the CF sounds like it would be OK at that speed with my gearing.

I am leaning toward the 1 piece CF but now that I found a 2 piece aluminum that seems like a viable option.

Do any of you have direct experience with either of these options? What were the pros and cons? Any issues with vibrations, clunking, slip in the drive line?

I plan to pick one of these up in the next few weeks and start the winter wrench session soon.

Thanks, Happy New Year!

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
No experience but I am interested to follow along and see where you go with this. I've had unnatural thoughts about putting a 1 piece in my GTO. Would probably go w/ standard aluminum tho as I don't need anything as fancy as CF

lastls1

Reaction score
I would go with the 2 piece or 2 piece carbon shaft. Most of the 1 piece shafts used to state 135 mph max. At least that’s what it was like back when I had mine.

The 2 piece will be smoother as it has a bushing in the center as well.

Unless you were going for straight up drag and needed to hold the power, I see no reason for the 1 piece in this application as top speed runs seem to be your calling

OP
keitho64

keitho64

Reaction score
I reached out to DSS and here is their response:

"The two-piece aluminum would be fine at that speed because it is supported in the middle. However, It still has a carrier bearing which is a wear item, as well as reduces response and torque transfer. For similar money, I would recommend the carbon one-piece. It will be a more athletic feeling driveshaft that you will appreciate in your style of driving, as well as less parts for maintenance and will have a higher critical speed than the aluminum."

Looks like I am going to do the one piece carbon fiber. They claim the one piece CF is good to 200MPH. My car will never hit that speed. I liked their comment "more athletic feeling" with the one piece and that sold me.

I hope to order it up soon and start the winter wrench session. I have a lot I want to do before spring.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION]

EmersonHart13

AKA Emerballs & Emerstaxxx
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a stock one. That I think needs help. Not going CF. I'd probably go the cheap 1 piece because rated for 550 hp and more than this car will ever see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom