YouTube 1. I had no idea Teslas weighed so much 2. Here is one going 10.4

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’m wondering why everybody thinks the electric infrastructure is this delicate egg and if people start getting electric cars it will crumble. Even if gasoline vehicles were banned today it would take 20 years for all the vehicles on the road to be electric based on how long people hang onto average cars before they go to the junkyard. Obviously it isn’t going to happen that fast anyway so there will be ample time for the grid to increase any capacity it needs to. Not to mention charging a car at hone uses about the same amount of electricity as a whole home air conditioner for a few hours so it’s not like the wires coming into your house are going to start melting the insulation off of them or something. my guess is that peoples assumptions about how this kind of stuff works is greatly exaggerated

Possibly because electric infrastructure is already a delicate egg? as seen in Michigan, texas, california, etc.? my boss's house in the UP gets rolling blackouts and it's not like there's much demand up that way.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I keep asking Mike and a a ton of other members to come back...

qhMbkGi.jpg

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What's stopping it? 20 - 30 years before ICE doesn't represent the majority of sales? I'd say it's closer to 5.

We're at the inflection point right now and the thing is it's all so obvious. You don't need to be a super-genius to see it. We all seem to agree that once we've reached parity it's lights out for ICE and that's the only point I'm making when I say ICE is dead. It's dead technology. You could improve it by a factor of ten and you'd never be able to eliminate it's shortcomings and there will be no breakthrough that suddenly makes it cheaper to manufacture. So since we all seem to agree that once we've reached parity ICE is dead, it seems all we disagree on is when that's going to happen and that's the easy part.

Assume no new interest in battery technology, which isn't realistic at all but let's assume that's the case. We can assume ICE drivetrains are not only not getting cheaper to manufacture but are getting modestly more expensive. So right off the bat you can see that ICE drivetrains have flatlined in terms of costs and are actually starting to increase in recent years whereas electric drivetrains continue to follow their trajectory downward with no signs of stopping. Not only will they get cheaper; they'll get a lot cheaper. You can do the same with charging, the same with charge speeds, the same with range, etc. Any metric naysayers cling to as the one that needs to be overcome before mass adoption is already relatively close to parity and is following a trajectory that will put it beyond parity very soon.

At that point who will buy ICE vehicles? Nobody but enthusiasts. The transition will happen faster than anyone thinks because very suddenly it won't make any sense to buy an internal combustion vehicle. But you won't even have that choice for long because once it does hit price parity, it won't make sense for these for-profit companies to make less efficient powertrains with thousands of parts that they have to warranty.

So again, the argument is when do we hit parity and I think very conservatively you're looking at just a few years. My guess is within 5 years electric is capturing at least 50% of the major automotive markets and almost all of the short haul new purchases (buses, UPS trucks, etc). It will trickle down as it is now with the last segments to switch over being the ultra-cheap economy cars. And to be clear, I'm not saying 50% of the cars on the road; I'm saying new sales. UPS probably isn't going to ditch a bunch of 2 - 3 year old trucks to buy new electric trucks but they'll buy them as older trucks come up for replacement.

To be clear though, 100% ICE is dead. Stick a fork in it. It's gone. Electrification is 100% the future. In my opinion the only thing you could debate there is the power source. Maybe there's some huge breakthrough there, maybe not. Maybe in 30 years we'll all be driving around electric cars with tiny fusion reactors for the power source but they will 100% be electric cars, not shitty old complicated internal combustion engines. I'm as much of an enthusiast as anyone else here but come on... In the grand scope of things ICE is such a relic now and it will only become more apparent with time.

Save this post. Print it and stick it on your fridge and if in 5 years I'm more wrong than I am right, you can shame me. I won't be though.

What's stopping it? 20 - 30 years before ICE doesn't represent the majority of sales? I'd say it's closer to 5. ......

.....My guess is within 5 years electric is capturing at least 50% of the major automotive markets and almost all of the short haul new purchases (buses, UPS trucks, etc). It will trickle down as it is now with the last segments to switch over being the ultra-cheap economy cars .....

Save this post. Print it and stick it on your fridge and if in 5 years I'm more wrong than I am right, you can shame me. I won't be though.

jim-halpert-the-office.gif

View attachment 136812

I think the biggest thing you are overlooking [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION], (and truth be told, maybe you aren't i haven't read this thread since I derailed it) is that the car & truck buyers of the US do not use logic when purchasing vehicles. they use emotions. they buy what they want, not what they need or should have.

I mean minivan's make the most sense for the majority of families out there, yet they are a tough sell :rofl:

the new hybrid pacifica is rated at 84mpge, yet i've yet to see any :rofl:

until something DRASTIC happens/changes, I don't think people will change their buying habits.

that's why pickup trucks sell in droves, or 4wd vehicles in general, not because most people need them, but because they want them.

3/4 ton long bed to drop the kids off at soccer?

FUCK YEAH

because maaaaaaaybe i'll go buy a camper some day, that's why I bought a truck.

denali's and escalade's are up 10% over last year :rofl: there is 0 logic to buy one of those, and GM could put pink dildos on the roof's of each vehicle, and they would still sell.

excited finding nemo GIF

GOOD MORNING M Mike K

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
What's stopping it? 20 - 30 years before ICE doesn't represent the majority of sales? I'd say it's closer to 5. ......

.....My guess is within 5 years electric is capturing at least 50% of the major automotive markets and almost all of the short haul new purchases (buses, UPS trucks, etc). It will trickle down as it is now with the last segments to switch over being the ultra-cheap economy cars .....

excited finding nemo GIF

GOOD MORNING M Mike K
I think 5 years from today will be primarily hybrids. Infrastructure isn’t going to pop up and be viable in 5 years.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
i dunno how this relates to anything i just said or the quotes from 5 years ago.
I wasn’t reading 5 year ago quotes I was responding to this:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I wasn’t reading 5 year ago quotes I was responding to this:

that's a quote from five years ago.

click this.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

excited finding nemo GIF

GOOD MORNING M Mike K
Gotta also find some classic Zoomer exponential growth quotes too.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I know. His posts quoting Mike K were there, but the italicized shit wasn't. I didn't read the things he quoted, so, yeah. Anyway, fuck EV's

the italicized part was there for chuckleheads like yourself, who can manage to be on this site 24/7 yet can't manage to read more than a sentence or two per post... perfect example... didn't read M Mike K's entire quote...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info