1.6 millions cars had their odometer rolled back - Illinois the worst

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
I know, it's almost as predictable as Florida.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/25/odometer-rollback-fraud-carfax/

One of you GM Truck nut huggers probably owns one of these.

NBC sourced Carfax as the authority on the matter, and used a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado as an example in a lengthy video detailing the wide-spread national issue. The Silverado starts with 230,323 miles, which partially determines the truck's value of about $3,700 in Richmond, Virginia. The demonstration then shows a mechanic with an easily purchased device changing the car's odometer to read 130,483. It took less than a minute to fabricate the car's history, and in turn, it bumps the used truck's value to more than $8,000 on the resale market.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not all have this though....

I know these reports are sketchy sometimes, but following the vehicle history, you usually have the in service date, which includes mileage, then the first registration, then a normal visit for maintenance, perhaps some repairs, then annual registration, passing emissions tests, buying/selling, most of which record the mileage at that time. So you should see 10 miles, 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, on and on. If you see 200k, emissions test passing, then 3 years later, service to the transmission at 125k... Wouldn't your red flags go off?

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I know these reports are sketchy sometimes, but following the vehicle history, you usually have the in service date, which includes mileage, then the first registration, then a normal visit for maintenance, perhaps some repairs, then annual registration, passing emissions tests, buying/selling, most of which record the mileage at that time. So you should see 10 miles, 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, on and on. If you see 200k, emissions test passing, then 3 years later, service to the transmission at 125k... Wouldn't your red flags go off?

Good points.

It’s not hard to find the good, quality used cars either.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Down here, you need to watch out for certain cities. Miami, Orlando, Tampa and a couple others. Much higher fraud rate in cars that come from those cities.

I look for a Carfax that shows dealer maintenance through the warranty period and only one or two shops after that. Don't like cars with multiple repair shops and an excessive number of owners.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Probably this Fall I’m gonna look for a nice and newer dd. Used.

And get rid of an old Grand Am. With only 77k miles on it. It’s a great car. Good mpg’s.

Just bored with it. No power windows.

It has a Couple problems.

But all the major stuff works great.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
once cars cross 100k many less lenders are willing to finance them, at least i think that's still the case today. so i wouldn't be surprised to see some rolling back occur there either...
My experience has been year > mileage for loans. I even got a point off for a single year newer even with more mileage (though neither were over 100k on that one).

I've never personally done this but I've known friends that buy a new cluster for high dollar sports cars they own. They swap the cluster when they initially buy the car. Every time emissions come up they swap back in the original cluster.

I know three people doing this with new explorers. Also the c6 is done this way too, that’s why the z clusters sell so fast.

I remember that fat guy with the white/blue fgt back in about 2006 did this, I busted him out to the guy that was thinking about buying it in viper alley.

I think this happens very often.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info