1,000 mph Tesla

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Nope, not that kind of mph.

Tesla is turning up the juice.

The automaker flicked the switch on its fastest-ever charging station on Wednesday night.

The so-called V3 Supercharger operates at 250 kilowatts -- approximately twice that of the older stations -- and can charge some of its cars at a rate of 75 miles every five minutes, which Tesla is promoting as “1,000 miles per hour,” without explaining the math. (75 x 12 = 900, doesn't it?)

Charging time will be reduced up to 50%.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-launches-1000-miles-per-hour-charging-station-for-model-3

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Software update should be coming in the next few months. I’m already planning a road trip over the summer to check it out. Wife and I wanted to go back to Nashville. Even a 25-30% increase in charge rate on my car would drastically reduce my charge times. I would go from stopping for 15 minutes to like 6-7. Barley enough time to run in for a bathroom break.

I am very excited for things to come. And as usual I will do a post trip report with the new numbers.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I can tell you they are just getting started. They anticipated this kind of stuff and already built the cars to be able to handle higher rates than they even had available at the time. With a simple software update my car will be able to charge at a higher rate over night. That’s absolutely outstanding.

No one is doing this, and so far I have not seen any other manufacturer discuss this option. They are totally pooping on everyone else right now and it’s almost not even funny.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I am wondering if we will start to see more implementation of their energy storage and solar programs to assist. I think they did something to help people in Australia with power and from what I remember it’s making money hand over fist while supplying power.

Every problem has a solution and I doubt they haven’t thought about this issue.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Dead to a full 100%? Probably not that quick. You still have to figure it really slows down when you get close to full. But again the superchargers were never designed to 100% charge the cars. You might go from 10%-80% in under 20 minutes, but 80-100 may take another 20 minutes.

If you are sitting there trying to 100 percent charge the car each time you are doing it wrong

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I'm confused, so can you charge a car from dead to full in 20 minutes now?

they charge on a curve and more rapidly in a larger battery and most rapidly when it is near the bottom. so the 250 in reality is for a short time, although all the charging advancements together make for an improvement at any time along the charge curve. note it uses a little more getting to the charging station, apparently, in warming up the battery in anticipation to be charged.

also it should be understood that it is generally not software itself than can do magical improvements like this - that only happens when it either started out as super crappy, or when it is on special hardware (FPGA chips) or is working with existing hardware in a more clever way (which is this instance).

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Rofl people who know absolutely nothing about batteries aside from the fact their iPhone battery isn’t as good as new 2 years later are commenting on “battery chemistry” and how this will totally ruin the battery.

Rofl. The ignorance in this world is strong. Very strong.

I am speaking to the comments in the article FYI not people here.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Rofl people who know absolutely nothing about batteries aside from the fact their iPhone battery isn’t as good as new 2 years later are commenting on “battery chemistry” and how this will totally ruin the battery.

Rofl. The ignorance in this world is strong. Very strong.

I am speaking to the comments in the article FYI not people here.

it depends how hot it gets. so hotter/longer it can, although, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be in a meaningful amount either.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
it depends how hot it gets. so hotter/longer it can, although, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be in a meaningful amount either.

That is what did the OG leaf in. Since it did not have a battery thermal management system. I can tell you the Tesla one is very active, and if the temps get too high to where the car cannot cool it, it will simply lower the charge rate.

To date I’ve never seen this happen, and I’ve supercharged in the middle of summer in Tennessee in 95+ degree heat pulling 98kws. The car does great and couldnt have cared less. It just ran the AC compressor a lot lol

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
That is what did the OG leaf in. Since it did not have a battery thermal management system. I can tell you the Tesla one is very active, and if the temps get too high to where the car cannot cool it, it will simply lower the charge rate.

To date I’ve never seen this happen, and I’ve supercharged in the middle of summer in Tennessee in 95+ degree heat pulling 98kws. The car does great and couldnt have cared less. It just ran the AC compressor a lot lol

Interesting, it actually uses the AC system and not just fans to keep the batteries cool while charging huh?

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The comments in that article make my head hurt.

I can’t tell if it’s all trolls or if people really are that ignorant.... it’s like they are willfully ignorant. It’s gotta be a class thing as everybody who was really getting into hating about it brought up the cost several times

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I can’t tell if it’s all trolls or if people really are that ignorant.... it’s like they are willfully ignorant. It’s gotta be a class thing as everybody who was really getting into hating about it brought up the cost several times

Yea that’s what I was thinking too. Bunch of poor haters

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Interesting, it actually uses the AC system and not just fans to keep the batteries cool while charging huh?

Yes it will turn on the compressor. The big screen in the car can actually turn into a diag tool. Again this screen shot is super old like years old, but gives you an idea of the thermal management system.

IMG_2099.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info