Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

source:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/04/mt-reports-cadillac-cts-v-gets-600hp-corvette-blue-devil-engine/

The new issue of Motor Trend arrived in the mail and our eyes were instantly attracted to this story that just went live on motortrend.com. The MT crew has learned that the supercharged V8 slated for use in the next-gen Cadillac CTS-V will be none other than a "detuned" version of the 7.0L LS7 powerplant debuting in the Corvette Blue Devil, or rather, Corvette Z07. The MT editors expect the version used in the CTS-V to produce about 600 horsepower, or around 100 horses short of what the Z07 will produce.

Pick any possible competitor for the next CTS-V and it's obvious that all will come up short to Caddy's new mega muscle sedan. The BMW M3 and Audi RS4 both produce only 420 horsepower, while the horsepower happy AMG team stuffed only 503 in the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. Even the BMW M5, which is larger than the CTS, will come up short with an upcoming horsepower bump into the low-500 horsepower range. In short, the CTS-V will offer the same amount of horsepower as the 2008 Dodge Viper, which is pure insanity. GM's got stones, folks, and Cadillac is clearly the prime beneficiary of its newfound fortitude.

Much thanks to Motor Trend editor-in-chief Angus Mackenzie for allowing Autoblog to republish the rendering above. The July issue (you can subscribe here) is thicker than a Thesaurus and our fave in a string of recent good issues from the MT team.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
vipermike2002 said:
Well look at all the performance cars they developed the fast few years. GTO, HHR, etc they all dont sell.

I think you meant the SSR, not the HHR. But GM looks to be putting focus on its interiors right now, something they've been given shit about for years. The 2008 Saturn Vue is crazy nice for a GM product, and the 2008 Malibu, CTS and G8 should be just as sweet; global platforms FTW. What about the Saturn Vue and Aura Green Line and GMC full-size SUV Hybrids, at least it's a start. The Volt concept was pretty kick ass too, although it's still many years away until battery technology catches up.

Don't forget the Z06, STS-V, CTS-V and Trailblazer SS. I don't think those are considered flops.

Mirz

Banned
Jun 1, 2007
vipermike2002 said:
CrazyMook said:
vipermike2002 said:
nice car but GM should be putting money into hybrid gas efficient cars rather than 700HP Family Sedan "race cars"

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Well look at all the performance cars they developed the fast few years. GTO, HHR, etc they all dont sell.
The GTO didn't sell because the dealers screwed the car. They sold the 04's for 37k are fucking kidding me they were selling them 5k over sticker and wouldn't drop a dime. Because they thought they had a market when in real terms the car was not marketed toward ole gray hairs reminicing on how they produced little jimmy but for the 25-35 year old man that was in the market for a sporty coupe. The car is not a GTO by any means its a Fuckin Holden, Vauxhall Monaro or for you peeps in the middle east a god damn Lumina SS. Why did 03-04 cobras fly out of the lot then, why did Vettes sell? It's all in the Makrketing, would you know about marketing vipermike? How many GTO and HHR commericals have you seen? one? How many commercials did you see when the 98 t/a and the Camaro came out, many. I will never forget that commercial with teh ws6 eatin the ferrari. Sorry about the rant im at work and i have to drive to milwakee for a meeting i do not want to go to.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
The GTO didn't sell because the dealers screwed the car. They sold the 04's for 37k are fucking kidding me they were selling them 5k over sticker and wouldn't drop a dime. Because they thought they had a market when in real terms the car was not marketed toward ole gray hairs reminicing on how they produced little jimmy but for the 25-35 year old man that was in the market for a sporty coupe. The car is not a GTO by any means its a Fuckin Holden, Vauxhall Monaro or for you peeps in the middle east a god damn Lumina SS. Why did 03-04 cobras fly out of the lot then, why did Vettes sell? It's all in the Makrketing, would you know about marketing vipermike? How many GTO and HHR commericals have you seen? one? How many commercials did you see when the 98 t/a and the Camaro came out, many. I will never forget that commercial with teh ws6 eatin the ferrari. Sorry about the rant im at work and i have to drive to milwakee for a meeting i do not want to go to.

I agree GTO's new were WAY overpriced. I mean you could get a used one for like $10,000 less. That was like the last Pontiac Bonneville. They were trying to sell them for like 40g's. Why would someone buy a Pontiac when they could get a Caddy for the same price? Why would someone buy a GTO when they could get a vette for a little more?

No that you mention that, I dont remember any GTO commercials.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
vipermike2002 said:

I agree GTO's new were WAY overpriced. I mean you could get a used one for like $10,000 less. That was like the last Pontiac Bonneville. They were trying to sell them for like 40g's. Why would someone buy a Pontiac when they could get a Caddy for the same price? Why would someone buy a GTO when they could get a vette for a little more?

The only GTO commercial I remember:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CJM1ZCbwa40&mode=related&search=

And regardless of what department screwed up at GM, a screw up is a screw up.

Mirz

Banned
Jun 1, 2007
BruGTP said:
vipermike2002 said:

The only GTO commercial I remember:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CJM1ZCbwa40&mode=related&search=

And regardless of what department screwed up at GM, a screw up is a screw up.
tell that to the aussies. the car in the us didnt sell but the car itself all over the world was a success

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
goatcheeze said:
tell that to the aussies. the car in the us didnt sell but the car itself all over the world was a success

I understand that the car was a success elsewhere, but for the US it was an awesome car with the wrong name aimed at the wrong demographic. GM North America screwed the pooch on that one.

Edit: But the car has found its niche, even if the sales numbers weren't that great. I haven't met a GTO owner who doesn't like their car.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
pricing on gto's can get pretty rediculous. when i was looking for them i was amazed at what some of the dealers were trying to get away with. 27k for an 04 with 20k miles on it?? give me a friggin break. Then go down the road a bit and find an 05 with 9k miles for 26. theres no consistency in those cars.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
BruGTP said:
Edit: But the car has found its niche, even if the sales numbers weren't that great. I haven't met a GTO owner who doesn't like their car.

thats the one thing that stuck out to me too when i was spending a lotta time on the gto boards. no matter what, everyone said they absolutely loved the car. the thing EVERYBODY says it that once you test drive one, thats it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info