'07 Ford Focus Hatch

TurboACCORD

3rd Mario Brother
Jan 30, 2008
My mom brought up buying me a new car. I guess all the work I'm putting into my car right now is pissing them off lol (not that I don't enjoy working on it :smile: ) Anyway, she asked if I'd want a new '08 Cobalt. I guess the have some sale going on where you can walk in and buy one for close to $10k. I told her I'd look around for something I'd enjoy more (not much of a Cobalt fan, no hate though). I came across the '07 Focus Hatch. I could get one for around $13k. 5spd, leather int, the works. I personally like the look and what I've seen so far.

Any feedback? :bowdown:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
My mom brought up buying me a new car. I guess all the work I'm putting into my car right now is pissing them off lol (not that I don't enjoy working on it :smile: ) Anyway, she asked if I'd want a new '08 Cobalt. I guess the have some sale going on where you can walk in and buy one for close to $10k. I told her I'd look around for something I'd enjoy more (not much of a Cobalt fan, no hate though). I came across the '07 Focus Hatch. I could get one for around $13k. 5spd, leather int, the works. I personally like the look and what I've seen so far.

Any feedback? :bowdown:

I'm gonna be biased since I own an 07 focus 4 door, but oh well.

When I was car shopping I test drove a new cobalt, a neon, and a focus *And a few other used cars like an 03 blazer, 03 altima etc*
and found that the fit and finish of the focus in my opinion was by far and wide the best of the group, and was also by far the largest (I'm a taller guy, and couldn't sit in the back of the neon without pressing my head against the back glass, the Focus is Cavernous in comparison)

The motor and drivetrain as of 2005 are no longer 'ford' and are infact the mill from the award winning mazda3. I do agree with Ryan, it is not a race car, nor does it have any modding potential *its an 8 valve twincam motor with pencil thin rods, it doesn't scream "MODS" exactly* but it doesn't have any issues merging onto the freeway and can quickly get from 50-70 for one lane passing for what its worth.

I'm going to flatter it because I can, but after Kim's dad saw mine, he and Kims sister went out and traded in their chevy avalanche in for a 3 door black 07 focus hatch (her sister is averaging a solid 3-4mpg better than me *about 32-35 freeway while I get 26 in town, 31-32 on the freeway, both cars are autos soo a stick would probably fair a bit better*, probably due to her driving habits, but the lighter car I'm sure helps too)

I know you said its fully loaded, but 13K for an 07 is a bit steep, is it NEW or USED? as if its NEW, you can probably make them drop it another grand or 2 to help push it off the lot due to the 2008 re-design, and if its USED and has less than 20K on the clock, it should be in the 10K range.

Also, if its new, Ford quietly bumped their 'free roadside assitance' to 5 year, 60K miles instead of its origional 3 year, 36000 miles, and offer warranties fairly cheaply for 5 year, 100,000K bumper to bumper, not just powertrain *Standard powertrain I think it 5 year, 50K*

PIC-0130.jpg

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i would say go on the focus forums and see what kind of problems people are having over there and what the common problems are that you can expect. if you like the car then don't let anyone convince you otherwise but make sure you're happy with your decision

I've put 33K on mine since I bought it Dec of 2006, I've brought the car to the dealer twice, but both times were just for little shit that I broke Lol.

1) I broke the shifter button with my Knee when getting into the car one day because I was in a hurry (I was later informed that they 'redesigned' the whole shifter assembly prior to me breaking it as it is a common problem, and it IS positioned slightly differently in my car now than it was before I broke it cause they replaced the whole thing and I haven't hit it with my knee since)

2) a clip for part of the window trim broke because I drove all last summer with my arm out the window and one day my sleeve got caught on the corner by accident and broke it trying to free myself from it.

The only problem I've had that wasn't plastic related is my power steering was whining last week and spewed a bit of fluid out of the top of it for some reason... Hasn't done it since :dunno: I'm not worried, I suspect it was cause it went hot, cold, hot, cold, and maybe affected the fluid in some way cause the resivour is attached to the side of the engine so probably went from cold/to very quickly.

but mechanically the car has been 100% sound, no trans issues, motor sounds/acts the same as the day I got it, no CE lights, no nothing.

if u plan on buying it in the hopes of making it fast, dont bother...big waste of money imo....

Yea, these are NOT mod-friendly cars as far as the engine goes. the 2.3 liter in the ST has beefier rods and has been in the Mazda 3s for a while and has a decent aftermarket, but the 2.0 Duratec has little/no aftermarket. There ARE quite a few name-brand suspension options for the car as far as better springs/struts and lowering it. www.focussport.com

There is a turbo kit available that bumps your wheel horsepower from 110 to 190 for $3200 at 8PSI, but then you can kiss your warranty goodbye :-\

Last edited:

flip240

Jan 18, 2008
the new ones are 8 valve?? that sucks..

regardless, the focus is one of the best handling cars due to its multilink 'blade' rear suspension combined with stiff chassis and light weight. I agree, not many focus' would be good for drag, but they are killer cars on the track. many a times i've gone autoXing, there will be a focus up there against the civics and minis, and doing just as good if not better.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Shit. Well this kinda sunk in lol. I was hoping I could do a little more to it. If I got the '08 Cobalt, it would be cloth interior and all the dopey shit. I couldn't find any new SVT's (is that right?) on cars.com

Any help on finding some would be useful =]

SVT's were only made back in early 2000

The 'performance' focus's from 2005-2007 only came in 4 door, 5-speed with the 2.3 liter called the "Ford Focus ST" which was like "Street Trim" or something like that, 162hp, and Personally I think they look GREAT (Personal favorite one is in sandwich IL that is Red, Lowered, and on 17" black rims)

*this car is in PA, but for example*
$13800, fully loaded with the exterior 'street' package
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=233884407&dealer_id=76648&car_year=2007&model=FOCUS&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=2005&keywordsfyc=__U1Q,__&keywordsrep=083084&engine=&certified=&body_code=8&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&first_record=51&make=FORD&keywords_display=ST&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=61350&advanced=y&end_year=2007&pager.offset=50&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=697

4058802608.233884407.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

4058802610.233884407.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Do not buy a focus or cobalt to tune.....unless you can afford a balt ss/tc or ss/sc don't bother.

To get a "new" car that is decently priced with good mod ability you need to spend 18k-23k....such as: Civic SI-----VW GTI----SRT4----Speed3----Tiburon----ETC.

I havent priced out the used sport compact market lately and have no idea what you could get with 10-15k used.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Do not buy a focus or cobalt to tune.....unless you can afford a balt ss/tc or ss/sc don't bother.

To get a "new" car that is decently priced with good mod ability you need to spend 18k-23k....such as: Civic SI-----VW GTI----SRT4----Speed3----Tiburon----ETC.

I havent priced out the used sport compact market lately and have no idea what you could get with 10-15k used.

10-15K could net you a WRX, Cobalt SS Supercharged, 99-04 Civic SI (the 160hp ones), I'd imagine there are SRT-4's in that range too.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
people actually buy focuses on purpose? damn, i didnt even know they still sell those things. why dont you get a nice used car? mabye a 2000 civic or something like that... cheap as hell and they will last forever... god forbid something did break, there are literally hundreds of aftermarket options for almost any part on that car. a focus? get real!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info