06 Grand Prix Known Issues?

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
About to buy my son his first car, looking at a 06 Grand Prix base model. Has 144,000 miles on it, original owner (family friend). Has changed oil religiously every 3k and had all other maintenance and other stuff done by a smaller garage by her house. Getting the car for $2k if I decide to buy it, she is telling me there is a very small oil leak, and hadn't planned on fixing it or having it looked at as she is getting rid of the car. I haven't looked at the oil leak either but assuming it's the pan, simple fix?? Her son is speculating it's the pan, but he is the farthest thing from a mechanic. Also what other issues should I be concerned about, and any know major issues?
Thanks in advance

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
2 grans seems like a really good deal if the car is as nice as it sounds. plus the 3800 is about the easiest engine to work on IMO.

Oil leak is probably the valve covers. But if it is the pan, the motor with have to be lifted up quite a ways

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Reaction score
^^^ That. Take it in for the valve cover gasket TSB right away. I'm pretty sure it applied to that year as well. You might get the oil leak fixed for free if that's the cause.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks and I haven't bought it yet. She is in the process of looking for a new car, should have it within a couple of weeks

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
^^^ That. Take it in for the valve cover gasket TSB right away. I'm pretty sure it applied to that year as well. You might get the oil leak fixed for free if that's the cause.
I didnt think they extended that tsb beyond 03 yet. Due to series 3 3800 being gods gift to the 3800.

Wheel hubs / bearings should have gone out, or will be soon at that mileage.

But as said, for 2k its a good deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom