1000290.jpg

1000291.jpg

1000292l.jpg

1000293q.jpg

1000295n.jpg

1000296z.jpg

1000297.jpg

1000298n.jpg

Used a $60 K&N cone. Other parts were basic home depot items. Nothing fancy but its something ive wanted to do for a while.

Here are a few pics of the car

1000291i.jpg

1000301.jpg

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
What did you use to back the dryer tube as it went into that piece of factory air tube? There's no way the dryer tube can handle that clamp being tightened enough to seal up the inconsistent surfaces of the dryer tube against the smooth inside of the stock rubber tube... ?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
What did you use to back the dryer tube as it went into that piece of factory air tube? There's no way the dryer tube can handle that clamp being tightened enough to seal up the inconsistent surfaces of the dryer tube against the smooth inside of the stock rubber tube... ?

Good question! This is ghetto but I wrapped a section of the dryer tubing with electrical tape. I used about half of a large roll. It was difficult to get the tubing in but it made a tight section and it handled the pressure well. I was able to get the taped section under the adjustable clamp. Its a tight seal.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Nice welds!

Dryer tube won't absorb so much heat that it'll affect the incoming air. You could argue the incoming air will cool down the tube if anything. At least we're not looking at the ol'PVC pipe intake. :p

Was there a resonator box that you pulled out from the bumper? Go for the trifecta and get some plastic vent tube in that spot pointed up to the filter....and make a shield around the filter to direct heat away.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Nice welds!

Dryer tube won't absorb so much heat that it'll affect the incoming air. You could argue the incoming air will cool down the tube if anything. At least we're not looking at the ol'PVC pipe intake. :p

Was there a resonator box that you pulled out from the bumper? Go for the trifecta and get some plastic vent tube in that spot pointed up to the filter....and make a shield around the filter to direct heat away.

Good advice. Im planning on changing the intake piping soon. When making it we were a little impatient and most places were closed. I actually wanted to lower the tubing into the hole which the end of the filter meets.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
You need some silicone or RTV where the rubber hose comes in. Basically, you need to make sure that there are no leaks to suck the dust in and dust the engine.

If you dust the engine you can kiss it bye-bye.

Last time i checked dryer tubing was really cheap or low quality. Also, looks like its just hanging there unsupported.

I recommend spending the money to get an aftermarket air intake.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

thats what i was thinking....between using a k&n filter and there most likely being air gaps between those 2 pieces your letting a lot of dirt into your engine.

why not use some exhaust tubing or get a silicone elbow piece with some aluminum couplers? you could easily piece a nice setup together for under $50 i'm sure.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
soooo now that you made a HOT air intake..... your car is prolly slower than it was with the stock air box that actually pulled air from outside the engine compartment. :dunno:

My car got faster with a HOT air intake. Probably cause the air going into the LIM is 350* at full boost no matter what unless you IC it. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info