• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

06 Cobalt SS No crank, no starter, unable to connect to ecu with scanner

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
No, you're entire ecu/ecm/pcm sounds like it's not powering up. No obd comm means something big is offline. Can someone locate the fusible links?
I have obd comms now. That portion is fixed it seems. No codes when I used my scanner but it is talking to the ecu now. Gauges do normal check and i have a gas level reading now

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Cha ces are where you fixed your comm issue there is another issue. I'm guessing maybe the entire fuse box? If the car was outside for a period the box may have gotten wet and corroded. When the boxes dry back out then shit goes to shit

yeah im going to re-seat all the ecu connections and fuse box and check connections.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Oooo yea..... Your going to find a green terminal and it's going to be a bad time
Removed fuse box and checked all terminals for fuses...no corrosion. Cleaned up the positive terminals. Reconnected ecu plugs, no corrosion either. Cleaned up battery terminals in trunk, although no corrosion either.

Bitch started up :fy:

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
It is usually inside the fuse box or the ecu they also get salt inside. I haven't ever taken the newer style one apart, only the older ones. The shaking is only temporary. Sometimes the terminals are corroded at the crimp and only the wire coating is left holding it on.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Late to the game, but it sounds to me like the theft deterrent system, after a certain time of inactivity, powered all modules down. Within a month or so, usually just cranking it, will reawaken everything, but long periods, sometimes having to interupt the power through the CANBUS is necessary (which it sounds like you did). On Keyless igntion vehicles, there is also a slot to put the fob in to (usually in the center console) that also awakens everything. I have to be mindful of this in the Cadillac over winter. I go over and unlock/lock the doors on a monthly basis just to get the fob to communicate with the BCM to let it know things are still good.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Late to the game, but it sounds to me like the theft deterrent system, after a certain time of inactivity, powered all modules down. Within a month or so, usually just cranking it, will reawaken everything, but long periods, sometimes having to interupt the power through the CANBUS is necessary (which it sounds like you did). On Keyless igntion vehicles, there is also a slot to put the fob in to (usually in the center console) that also awakens everything. I have to be mindful of this in the Cadillac over winter. I go over and unlock/lock the doors on a monthly basis just to get the fob to communicate with the BCM to let it know things are still good.
Interesting

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
From GM, while not exactly what you had, leads me to the theft deterrent system and what you did was interupt the circuit and "woke" it back up once you reconnected everything;

#PIC4144: B3060 No Crank No Start - keywords adding battery circle dead key light module plus present programming relearn theft - (Jul 25, 2006)

Subject: B3060 No Crank No Start

Models: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006 Chevrolet HHR

2006 Pontiac Solstice

2007 Saturn SKY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
This applies if B3060 is present and current in the Theft Deterrent Module causing a No Crank No Start condition, after battery disconnect, dead battery condition or reprogramming event.

DO NOT REPLACE THE THEFT DETERRENT MODULE.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Important: The customer must have both keys when this condition is present in order to have both keys start the vehicle once this condition occurs. If the customer only has a single key their other key will no longer start the vehicle unless the key is relearned to the vehicle using the adding key procedure.

These are the two most common situations:

Case #1 - Both keys available at Dealer. One key starts the vehicle the other available key does NOT start the vehicle.
Make sure vehicle battery is fully charged measure 12.6 volts before attempting this procedure.
If you have one key that starts the vehicle use the Adding Keys procedure in Document ID # 1686394 as reference to add the second non-working key to the vehicle.
If this does not repair the vehicle, REPLACE THE nonworking KEY AND REPEAT THE ADDING KEYS PROCEDURE.
Clear codes and test that both keys start the vehicle.
Case # 2 - One key available at Dealer that will NOT start the vehicle
Make sure vehicle battery is fully charged measure 12.6 volts before attempting this procedure.
For US vehicles, technicians can use the 10 minute SPS method (Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn for Learning Replacement Keys calibration is required) or the 30 minute auto learn with one key.
For Canadian vehicles, technicians must use the 10 minute SPS method (Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn For Learning Replacement Keys calibration is required) for the first key.

Instruct customer to bring second key and relearn the second key by using the Adding Keys Procedure #1686394 document.
If either method 10 minute or 30 minute procedure is unsuccessful:

Replace one key with new SPO key (keys must be the correct part number with a circle plus on the shank).

Clear codes and test that both keys start the vehicle.
You have two choices available to learn new key:
Choice #1
5.1. Using the 10 minute SPS replacing keys procedure # 1686399 to unlock the Theft Deterrent Module to learn the first new key.

5.2. Once you have 1 learned key that starts the vehicle use the adding keys procedure to add the second key procedure #1686394

Choice # 2
5.1. Using the 30 minute interactive learn follow document #1686399 (30 minute relearn procedure). This method is not available in Canada.

5.2. Once you have 1 learned key that starts the vehicle use the adding keys procedure to add the second key #1686394

Clear codes and test both keys.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
Easy fix .install one under hood and pull the pin

6b3aff1ed1a4139ef1de75da5294557b.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info