• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

06 Cobalt SS No crank, no starter, unable to connect to ecu with scanner

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
stumped on this one hopefully you guys can help.

2006 chevy cobalt ss/sc

havent started it in a few months, charged battery all day and tried jumper pack... no start. no crank, no clicks, nothing but dash lights. I don't think i even hear the fuel pump click on.

Dash lights up, everything seems ok but when I hook up my OBD2 scanner, it wont pull any codes and says unable to connect to ecu. Tried 2 different scanners. checked fuses (found none blown) and swapped similar relays and no change.

stumped on what it could be... bad ecu????

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
stumped on this one hopefully you guys can help.

2006 chevy cobalt ss/sc

havent started it in a few months, charged battery all day and tried jumper pack... no start. no crank, no clicks, nothing but dash lights. I don't think i even hear the fuel pump click on.

Dash lights up, everything seems ok but when I hook up my OBD2 scanner, it wont pull any codes and says unable to connect to ecu. Tried 2 different scanners. checked fuses (found none blown) and swapped similar relays and no change.

stumped on what it could be... bad ecu????

What dash lights come on in the second position?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
What dash lights come on in the second position?
Everything lights up initially and then just the seat belt light with nothing else. I also feel like it doesn't do its usual dash gauge check where the gauges go over and back.

When going through the menus, Oil life shows ---%, coolant shows -40' too

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Everything lights up initially and then just the seat belt light with nothing else. I also feel like it doesn't do its usual dash gauge check where the gauges go over and back.

When going through the menus, Oil life shows ---%, coolant shows -40' too

Ok . Was just checking to make sure you were not seeing the anti theft lock light.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Ok . Was just checking to make sure you were not seeing the anti theft lock light.

yeah i know that is a problem with the ignition cylinder on these when that light shows up, but no lock light in my situation

This one has me stumped. wish it was warmer out so troubleshooting wouldnt suck as much :rofl:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
^^^That also is something someone talked about, they wiggled the wiring harness and it started.

Cobalt won't start and google, of course, comes up with options to finish that. I went with no clicking, and a bunch of stuff popped up.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Well decided to keep at it. Knocked around all the cables and shook the fuse box around... Success! Ecu connection...

But no start. No clicky on the starter. Its a new starter too. Got it in the garage, heaters running in the garage to see if that will bring the starter back working and finally putting snow tires on :rofl:

Then gonna knock the starter a couple times and see what happens.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info