06' Cadillac/used cars that have been sitting

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
All it's electronics, If it's been siting for that time and not been run, all the modules and electronics shut down. Then when you repower it (via starting), sometimes things don't come back alive all at once for some reason, setting body codes. I know if I don't go re-synch my keyfob (by unlock/locking the doors) every month or so while in storage, it shuts down all RKE (Remote Keyless Entry function), until I stick the fob in a slot in the center console for it to re-synch things. A lot depends on the options you get. Engine. Is it V6 or a Northstar V8? Is it just RWD or AWD? Does it have fancy shit like HID's and adaptive headlights, HUD, rainsense windshield wipers, Magneto shocks, navigation, heated/cooled seats, etc...?

If it's a Northstar, it'll leak oil from the cam covers if not already, eventually... ANd by now most of the head/stud issues with them had been sorted out.

Overall though, the car is a pretty solid car.

A lot can be gleened from here;

Last edited:
Reactions: 99PONTIACGP

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have an SLS. As mentioned, electronics. Lights, seats, steering wheel sensor, etc. I bought my car dirt cheap because the mirrors and stereo amplifier were bad. No radio and no mirrors. Replaced the mirrors and amplifier with used Ebay parts.

If you do get the oil leaks, some of the repairs require the Northstar engine to be removed making the repair cost prohibitive.

Run the car for codes. Code scanners are cheap.

Check the tires after that much time sitting, too. Flatspots? Old tires? Also, I'm not sure if '06 has the air suspension but look for codes for it if it does. You will probably get a lot of codes unless the car has been maintained. You can pick these cars up for next to nothing because of the Northstar and potential repair costs.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Screenshot_20191119-234728_OfferUp.jpg

2006 Cadillac STS V6 ONLY 107,600 miles. No check engine light or history of eng probs. Body in great condition. Clean interior with leather. Bose speakers. Remote start in key fob.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Interesting. I currently have a new oil leak that is dripping on one of the exhaust manifolds or pipes. Need to get in there and see where it is coming from.

That is your cam cover leaking. It likes to leak around the corners and notches around the VVT actuators IYours won't have this). The front is actually really easy to do, you do have to R&R the water pump drive shaft that comes out of the upper drivers side of the cover and I recommend replacing the seal for it at the same time.

The back side of the motor requires EGR removal and then you're blessed with having to work around an inflexible main wiring harness making R&R of that cover a tedious task.

The only thing I can think of that would require engine removal would be recommended if you're re-studding it due to the notorious N* head stud issue. Another might be of you need to replace any pressure control solenoids in the 4T80 trans. Those are behind the cover on the drivers side and in order to get that cover out of the way to get to them, would require at least dropping of the engine/trans enough to clear the front drivers side frame rail.

I can only see the one pic with the Pep Boys stick on fender vent. That has GOT to go. The main issue with teh 3.6, and this has plagued the engine across all platforms it's been in is timing chain issues (stretching). May want toinquire about that and if the owner hasn't got a clue, take the VIN# to a GM dealer and have it run through VIS to see any service history.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don't because having worked on them in a GM stealership and now that I've now owned three vehicles with N* designed engines and they've been stone cold reliable and overall, putting aside the size 10 engine in a size 5 dress issue, pretty easy to work on as they're all modular in design.

Just like any car though, they have their nuances.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
One of the Admins on the Bonneville forum did that with a GXP.

Speaking of which, there is a blue Bonneville GXP in a driveway off Raddant by you. I've been going by it every day for several years and at one time it was a daily driver. Then it was sitting in the garage for awhile, now it's outside. So me thinks it's a stud issue and would love for the owner to be out when I go by. If I could get it cheap, then restud it, I'd love to have another GXP.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
One of the Admins on the Bonneville forum did that with a GXP.

Speaking of which, there is a blue Bonneville GXP in a driveway off Raddant by you. I've been going by it every day for several years and at one time it was a daily driver. Then it was sitting in the garage for awhile, now it's outside. So me thinks it's a stud issue and would love for the owner to be out when I go by. If I could get it cheap, then restud it, I'd love to have another GXP.
dude in palatine i know that does those N* stud kits. if you bring him the engine, he does it all for like $650

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Pick up the car for cheap, $650 later, you have another daily that'll last you for awhile. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I just google mapped it, 141 S. Raddant (just south of Wilson). You can see it in the garage acting as a workbench in front of the Xterra in the drive way... If you want to go inquire. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info