• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

05 Cobalt eating ICM

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
I picked up a Cobalt with about 127kmiles. Did some maintenance stuff to it, replaced the plugs, brakes, and so on. Anyway in probably 1k miles it started misfiring and running super rough. Swapped out the coil and ICM from a parts car and it fixed it for about a week. I had new parts ordered and that lasted about 6 weeks... ICM is bad again. I plan on checking the resistance on the circuit between the ICM and computer...I was also told to check the ground ( any idea where it's located? ) And that spark plugs with high resistance could cause the failure so I'm going to replace those as well. Any other ideas would be appreciated

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
I have a little more time let break down the time line. Bought car with 128k miles or so on it. Did some maintenance to it air filters, fuel filter, brakes, spark plugs. It went about a month or 2 ( not very many miles probably around 1K or less) and started having a random cylinder misfire and wouldn't accelerate. For a quick fix I took the ICM and coil off a Saturn I had sitting here with the same engine. it cured the misfire so I ordered a delphi coil and delphi ICM. Before I could put the new parts on the temporary coil and ICM shit out. No big deal maybe its just a coincidence as those parts had over 100k miles. Put the delphi parts on and it lasted 3 or 4 weeks.. So I'm convinced its more than just a coincidence ( I don't believe the ICM I took off the saturn was OEM but it ran fine for 10k miles or so we had the car)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info