04+ DBW delete/03 swap info

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
anyone recall seeing anyone do this? link's or thread's?
i found that i can make the LSx 90mm DBW TB work with al's 04 (quite easy) but the TB used by itself is usually a good chunk of $ and al is starting to hate the dbw delay (even though he admits it's way better than others out there)

we have an 03 harness and pcm (should be the same hdwr as the 03 GP)from an impy and i'm hoping that since al's in an 04 that the area for the cable passthrough is still there

only other question is the trans, i have a few different 03 bins including an 03 gt/p and whether this would screw any chance for a HUD (<-his pipe dream colorblind lulz)

i was really wanting to play with the 90mm DBW TB on a G5, but al's lack of dbw love and the 90mm cable tb's are about as cheep as oem 90 dbw's now hurt my arguments on the matter

some of ya are on far more than I and maybe ya remember anything before i tell al he's screwed and save myself the headache lol

thanks

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Can't you program the delay out? Are you sure you don't just have a weak motor in the throttle body? I've got no delay in my 04'. I'd never know that it was drive by wire by driving the car. I'd look into swapping out for a new TB before I'd look into converting to a wired throttle body. Seems like a lot of work to take a step backwards.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
what year/motor did the G5 have a 90mm?
never did but an LS1 to LS2/3/6 TB adaptor would be easy enough...the 90mm is a restriction to the whipple so if eric ever upgrades i'd guess al could snatch his cable 90 lol but our TC will control the 04+ LSx DBW tb's
IIRC 04+ transmissions have a different valve body and different controls that require the 04+ PCM.....

Read this:
title is 2006, but it has the 03+ info:

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/The_REAL_story_about_using.html....

I'd keep the DBW....... but I'm weird
yeah jew are wierd :noes:
i thought so as well, but i read that it's the 03+, and that there are guys that have 04+ trannies in 2nd gen's with an 03 pcm and hardware, your link to dave's i've seen before-totally forgot about it.

i know the major difference is that the 03+ 65e's got the newer design manifold pressure switch (the old 6 switch is what keeps us limited to the 5switch 97-99 80e's with no TCC sensor) the newer 03+ is directly related to the 00+ 80e's switch manifold and in 02/03 the 80e recieved the internal range switch much like the 03+ 65e's(seems the 80e got the cool stuff before the 65e lol)

i havent dug into the diagrams at all but if GM was nice enough to redesign the manifold switches it could mean that an 03+ PCM could control the 00+ 80e and retain complete TCC control/diagnostics without resorting to locating the TCC solenoid exhaust path and putting a hobbs switch in there to get the 97-99 80e to function seamlessly with the 98-02 pcm's

Can't you program the delay out? Are you sure you don't just have a weak motor in the throttle body? I've got no delay in my 04'. I'd never know that it was drive by wire by driving the car. I'd look into swapping out for a new TB before I'd look into converting to a wired throttle body. Seems like a lot of work to take a step backwards.
ya know i havent looked for those tables, i guess i should since i can lol he has two TB's a higher mileage one and his ~30k one right now he's on the high mileage one for a while (with the new house etc taking up the time....) maybe i'll have him throw the OE one back on.
i wish i could drive it lol he's had it for ~ a year now and his wife drove it once when it was new (NA and stock) and once a few months ago when al was drunk (ask him how well she lit the tires up lmfao) i dont see him letting schlim sit in "Al's fucking spot"

not really a lotta work....the way we see it is his 04 harness/tb etc solves a very real issue with the rear engine in the 442...mainly no need to blow 300$ for the 16ft special built throttle cable which is no gaurantee of it working perfectly. that in and of itself is the main one why i'd help him convert. still arguing about the merits of a hand vs foot throttle for the rear...

i'm also starting to guess that no one's ever actually done the dbw delete...yay another trailblazing adventure lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info