03 Escalade parasitic battery drain

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Anyone had this problem? I have a new ignition switch, battery is new and I resoldered the BCM connections. I can't get the damn thing to start after say 3ish days. I'm about to put a battery disconnect on it. Any thoughts where to check?

Thanks

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
There was a recall for certain model GM trucks and SUV's, of which I believe your Escalade applies to, specifically addressing battery drain. Look up #02066 I believe.

The source is the steering wheel position sensor won't allow the BCM to shut off once you turn the key off.

The fix is to recalibrate the BCM.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about calling up on that, supposedly I'm outside of the serial # range for it though. With GM, I don't think that means squat though. :/

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Doesn't hurt to try. Those ranges are just the known, high probability units affected. That doesn't mean yours outside of that can't exhibit the fault. It seems clearly the case that it is.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah, called up and checked they said it was not affected. That said it's GM so it probably is still affected. Anyone done one of these sensors? Pain in the jimmy?

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Yea, they're all a pain simply because of where it's at. But it's not the SWPS. It's something in the calibration.

Did you call a dealership? Or GM customer service?

I would take it in to a GM dealer, you don't need to take it to a Caddy dealer, matter of fact, I would take it to a Chevy one, because they probably faced this the most and are familiar with these exact symptoms. Express that you understand your VIN isn't in the range, but that it's doing exactly what this recall is addressing. If it fixes it, they can work the system to get it fixed under the recall. It's not like parts need to be replaced. It's just connecting a T2 (or now MDI I suppose) between the vehicle and tech terminal and downloading the latest calibration. :D

Intel

Reaction score
What is the draw on the vehicle right now when turned off? Should be an easy thing to check with a multimeter.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
If it's around 3.5amp, it seems pretty clear cut to me.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
The weird thing about it to me is that it's intermittent. I have had an ammeter hooked into it before, and It would go up to 3-3.5A and but drop back down again after a few moments. It may be going back up again after a while but I let it sit for several minutes without seeing it draw current.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Update on this. It was the fucking amplifier. Anyone know of a repair service for these?

HILROD

Reaction score
I found a local place online that does GM radios don't remember who tho. I would just put a relay on the amp power so it's off when it's not running. That said I have an Express van at work that does that every so often. Radio delay stays on forever.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected on this, it was the CD changer turning on the amp. Just disconnected the CD player and the drain went away. All well, just can only use one CD at a time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom