🔧 BUILD 01bluesnake's 2018 TT GT350

General Information

TURBO UPDATES START HERE - https://www.thechicagogarage.com/threads/01bluesnakes-2018-tt-gt350.173540/post-4278124

Sooo, couldn't wait any longer for my '94 cobra to be done, needed my fix lol. As seeing how my other turd box is moving away from 'street car' manors, I wanted something I could take out to shows, cruise, and just enjoy. I do plan to fuck this car up, so for any Shelby purists, this thread will not be your friend. I'm not a big road race guy, been there, and done that with some of my older cars. While fun, I like my short burst, lame 1/4 mile racing that takes no skill (kidding). Some may remember me, some may not, for those that do, you know what's coming lol.

I picked up the car a few weeks ago from Fargo ND, was a long trip but worth it. Car is bone stock, with 2600 miles on it. It's a lead foot gray, strip delete car, babied its whole life. Heres some pics from that journey. Left at 7am, got back at 3am that night. Was so tired, just pulled the trailer in the garage with the car and said fuck it lol.

20200627_172314.jpg

20200628_102940.jpg

20200628_103214.jpg

20200628_105625.jpg

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah, thats kind of where im at too. If i do go auto, i want it be consistent passes, over and over. Its easier to dial in cars, and tweak areas when shifting for example is kept almost exact every time.
That's what separates the man from the boys lol The more data and consistency the better. Building and tuning my car on my own has forced a huge learning curve but I really enjoy the track side stuff now. The less variables the more consistency

Reactions: 01bluesnake

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I only just got out end of this year but I'd agree with Mike, it's better I know my own car and do my own tuning. I have been getting great advice from my circle which at LS Fest briefly also included Manna and Wes Choate.

This is a nice Mustang build, what is the race weight?
Yeah, learning your car is very important. Tuning is different to dive into though, i wouldn't suggest it unless you have a great base or understanding of the car and parts. Sometimes its better to pay someone to get it done, within a session or two, even if it needs a few tweaks, then spending months not getting very far, which at worst can also destroy an engine. I've had people bring me cars, that they have been trying to tune for months, sometimes the whole season, but they just don't understand it well enough to make the right tweaks, or which settings to fix issues.

Last i had weighed in, was just over 3600 without me, so closer to 3800lbs with.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah, learning your car is very important. Tuning is different to dive into though, i wouldn't suggest it unless you have a great base or understanding of the car and parts. Sometimes its better to pay someone to get it done, within a session or two, even if it needs a few tweaks, then spending months not getting very far, which at worst can also destroy an engine. I've had people bring me cars, that they have been trying to tune for months, sometimes the whole season, but they just don't understand it well enough to make the right tweaks, or which settings to fix issues.

Last i had weighed in, was just over 3600 without me, so closer to 3800lbs with.
The holley Facebook pages are always good for a laugh. People run the start up wizard and post their tunes with wild timing and other tables and wonder why their car doesent run right. Closed loop learn take the wheel :ROFLMAO:

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
The holley Facebook pages are always good for a laugh. People run the start up wizard and post their tunes with wild timing and other tables and wonder why their car doesent run right. Closed loop learn take the wheel :ROFLMAO:

Oh yes, trust me, i see some of these tunes come through the door :LOL: I've had that talk with many people, about closed loop and learn, they absolutely think you just enable that stuff and the car tunes itself lol. I'm lucky to have access to factory timing tables via SCT, plus a ton of tunes ive done, to reference off of when building a Holley tune file. Throw into the mix different sensors Holley can use, vs what people install is crazy too. So many times, people just select whatever sensor sounded close to what they bought, meanwhile the values scales are totally off. You understand a lot on the car side and tuning, but many don't, they just start punching away at keys and values.

S

SCalla0490

Hey man, Ive been following this build. Very sick! Ill be installing twin's on my GT350 soon, currently has a whipple making 800whp but Ive always wanted a mid mount turbo setup, hellhorse is what I went with. Im about to buy a clutch because my stocker with the whipple is struggling now. I was leaning towards vengeance stage 2, but it seems like ceramic clutches hit hard and break stuff. Hows that Spec SS trim holding up? Hows drivability? And how much power/torque have you thrown at it? I too had a spec 2+ on my 2013 GT and loved it. Especially after I shattered 4th gear with an RXT, lol. Thanks!

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Hey man, Ive been following this build. Very sick! Ill be installing twin's on my GT350 soon, currently has a whipple making 800whp but Ive always wanted a mid mount turbo setup, hellhorse is what I went with. Im about to buy a clutch because my stocker with the whipple is struggling now. I was leaning towards vengeance stage 2, but it seems like ceramic clutches hit hard and break stuff. Hows that Spec SS trim holding up? Hows drivability? And how much power/torque have you thrown at it? I too had a spec 2+ on my 2013 GT and loved it. Especially after I shattered 4th gear with an RXT, lol. Thanks!

Hi. Im a big fan of Spec clutches, pretty much all i use in the shop, as they have been great. I like Spec because they offer so many different plate pressure and disc options, really helps tailor to the car and driver. Yes, the SS has been great, no complaints. Im finally just about to hit break in miles, then going to turn up the power. Likely wont be till next year though. I have done a few soft pulls without issue, but didnt expect any. Even my stock clutch was holding up really well. Im pretty confident, it should hold 1100-1200whp pretty easy, as ill fall right in the torque operating range. I also use a boost by gear setup, so doesnt see full power down low, which is normally the hardest.

S

SCalla0490

Hi. Im a big fan of Spec clutches, pretty much all i use in the shop, as they have been great. I like Spec because they offer so many different plate pressure and disc options, really helps tailor to the car and driver. Yes, the SS has been great, no complaints. Im finally just about to hit break in miles, then going to turn up the power. Likely wont be till next year though. I have done a few soft pulls without issue, but didnt expect any. Even my stock clutch was holding up really well. Im pretty confident, it should hold 1100-1200whp pretty easy, as ill fall right in the torque operating range. I also use a boost by gear setup, so doesnt see full power down low, which is normally the hardest.
Thanks for the reply man, appreciate it! Looking forward to seeing more progress.... Secretly I hope you stick with the manual trans though, haha!

Reactions: 01bluesnake

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Thanks for the reply man, appreciate it! Looking forward to seeing more progress.... Secretly I hope you stick with the manual trans though, haha!

Your welcome. I am right now, trans is currently getting fixed. I hurt the 2nd gear synchro/gear a while ago, when the stock clutch finally gave. I turned up the power on the leave, started blowing through the clutch, then wot shifted 1st to 2nd as i thought it was tire spin. I kicked the clutch pedal in and forced the shift so fast that i didnt realize what happened till it was too late. Ive just been dealing with 2nd being hurt. I want to test out my clutch slipper setup, and see how much i can work down my '60. I would like to 8's as a banger first, before ditching the stock trans.

S

SCalla0490

I was just looking at your build again. Im in the middle of doing a fuel system and a twin turbo kit on my GT350. Curious, with your Cortex boost controller.... how does it work? How does it know what gear youre in? Id love to be able to set it up for gate in 1st gear and add a tiny bit in 2nd and let 3rd and 4th get all the beans. Would atleast make 2nd gear useable on the street

Reactions: Z28Camaro

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I was just looking at your build again. Im in the middle of doing a fuel system and a twin turbo kit on my GT350. Curious, with your Cortex boost controller.... how does it work? How does it know what gear youre in? Id love to be able to set it up for gate in 1st gear and add a tiny bit in 2nd and let 3rd and 4th get all the beans. Would atleast make 2nd gear useable on the street

Cortex has a good break down on the controller, and how it functions. It just has to be wired for a few things, including vss. Once that is done, you have to go through a setup process to get the boost by gear working. It references off speed, rpm, with some kind of algorithm which calculates a gear. Everything is adjustable, so can run pretty much whatever boost you want in any gear.

S

SCalla0490

Cortex has a good break down on the controller, and how it functions. It just has to be wired for a few things, including vss. Once that is done, you have to go through a setup process to get the boost by gear working. It references off speed, rpm, with some kind of algorithm which calculates a gear. Everything is adjustable, so can run pretty much whatever boost you want in any gear.
Ahh okay that makes sense, thats pretty sick. Has it been pretty reliable for you? Like no glitches with what gear youre in and boost level in that gear?

Thread Info