00 GT Forced Induction ?

FI What Option and Why

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
So a question about FI my buddy has a 00 GT with a DSS level 2 sportsman block. its is a stroked 302 at 8.5 to 1 compression. Would he make decent power leaving it non FI for the time being with all the normal bolt ons heads comp cams stage 2 cams, intake plenum, tb, long tubes, full catback, etc.

if not what type of FI should he go with.... Procharged with intercooler. Vortech, or TT to make decent power. Any other options he should concider??

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
That question is way to open ended.... :thinking:

Any kind of boost with a cooler would be awesome with that set-up but it all depends on his preference. As far as making good power N/A for the time being. With 8:5.1 compression on a 2V it will most make decent power but nothing crazy. I'd say it would make around 270-300 rwhp. Which could put him in the mid to high 12's with good suspension and a tire. But that compression is just begging for boost. Just boost it!!! Any of those combos listed above will make nasty power. If it was me I would do a Procharger set-up with lots o boost :headbang:

I'm getting sick of seeing everything twin turbo lately. Unless he goes with a big single with some crazy boost. That would be sick!

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
I really dont think he cares about the money side of it. He just doesnt want to have issues with tuning and be without his car for an extended period of time. He spun 2 rod bearings about 3 months of owning the car on his stock block and hasnt driven his car in over a year. Got the new motor on the car and someone broke into it and stole all his audio equipment busted his doorshell and tore up his dash. So he was without his car again. So he just wants to drive his car.

All in all worried about not making a fair amount at 8.5:1 so he wants to boost it but doesnt know which way to go.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
If he has money are you sure he went with the Lvl 2 sportsman engine? That engine/comp doesn't really add up. Maybe I'm missing something and Chad can chime in here.

The level 2 block is nothing special IMO. The only good thing about that block is that its balanced and blueprinted and the pistons are good (forged). Other than that they use a factory 6 bolt GT crank and I-beam production rods that are balanced as well but they ARE NOT forged.

But all in all the level 2 block still is only recommended for around 12psi and 400hp. If you wanted to do it right you'd definately want the 8 bolt cobra crank and H-beam rods. Dont get me wrong tho the level 2 SB is better than factory but will give out quicker with the weaker rods and crank. The compression shouldnt matter that is changed by the dish on the pistons and the bore. He may have a custom dish volume aka deeper than -22cc dish to get the 8:5.1 compression :dunno:

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
Yea that's what I thought. I don't get the low comp setup on a motor only rated for 400hp?

In my honest opinion I think there level 2 block is perfect for N/A guys. If I were to do it all over again I would have built the block I have now.

Aluminum Teksid block
Bore .020 over
Stock stroke
Fully balanced 8 bolt cobra crank
Manley H-beam forged rods
DSS Pro-X -18cc dish forged pistons
ARP nuts and bolts

1badass96gt

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2004
In my honest opinion I think there level 2 block is perfect for N/A guys. If I were to do it all over again I would have built the block I have now.

If he wanted N/A power why kill it with 8.5 to 1 compression. Since he can't push crazy power on that block the Vortech w/ aftercooler may not be a bad choice. I like my set up though, Vortech with Paxton A/A intercooler. After 10lbs boost the Aftercooler gets choked up.

Thread Info