Announcement ? IMPORTANT PSA ? Politics will now require you to OPT IN to view its contents

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I'm not going to get into reasons why, we've had these discussions numerous times. This is the most elegant solution to this problem. So here goes.

This afternoon, I will be making Politics viewable (meaning you'll see the section exists and can see there are threads inside) but you will not be able to read the threads, see them in the New Posts / Whats New page or reply to them UNTIL YOU OPT IN to that section.

Opting in is very simple and can be done two ways.

NOTE: You may have to log out and then back in for these changes to take affect.

1. Go to your preferences and click "Join", as seen below. Preferences can be accessed by double clicking on your avatar top right (on desktop) or click your avatar on mobile and then preferences. From there, the option to opt in is not far down the page. This change SHOULD be instant. If its not, please bump this thread to let me know.

1593793156494.png

2. Post in this thread that you want access and I'll manually do it, no user input needed.

NEW registrations will have the option of Opting In while they fill out their user info - by default, new members will also not have access to On Topic (though they will know it exists).

This is being treated as a test and might not be permanent. Time will tell.

I'm not looking for arguments or debates. This is how its going to be for now. You can still choose to Opt In and ignore certain threads (as you can now) or you can just leave the section turned off and go on about your day.

Thank you for not turning this into some huge issue.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
If you have opted in, please let me know so I can test more. My test account worked last night but now when I try to opt in again, it didnt work. I had to manually do it. Probably something I overlooked.

It looked like it worked for Matt so I'm not too worried about it.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ok, should have ironed out some kinks. Kept fucking up the usergroup permissions.

EVERYONE should be able to see that On Topic exists and what posts reside in there. You just cant interact. They also wont show up in whats new. This will allow you guys to decide if the contents are worth checking out, etc.

Edit: I'm still having issues when I choose to opt out, as it keeps me in....but thats something I can figure out later.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Thread Info