🔥 IMPORTANT PSA 🔥 On Topic will now require you to OPT IN to view its contents

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into reasons why, we've had these discussions numerous times. This is the most elegant solution to this problem. So here goes.

This afternoon, I will be making On Topic viewable (meaning you'll see the section exists and can see there are threads inside) but you will not be able to read the threads, see them in the New Posts / Whats New page or reply to them UNTIL YOU OPT IN to that section.

Opting in is very simple and can be done two ways.

NOTE: You may have to log out and then back in for these changes to take affect.

1. Go to your preferences and click "Join", as seen below. Preferences can be accessed by double clicking on your avatar top right (on desktop) or click your avatar on mobile and then preferences. From there, the option to opt in is not far down the page. This change SHOULD be instant. If its not, please bump this thread to let me know.

1593793156494.png

2. Post in this thread that you want access and I'll manually do it, no user input needed.

NEW registrations will have the option of Opting In while they fill out their user info - by default, new members will also not have access to On Topic (though they will know it exists).

This is being treated as a test and might not be permanent. Time will tell.

I'm not looking for arguments or debates. This is how its going to be for now. You can still choose to Opt In and ignore certain threads (as you can now) or you can just leave the section turned off and go on about your day.

Thank you for not turning this into some huge issue.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
On Topic is where you'll find all the political and current even posts like BLM, protests, etc.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
We will probably lose some valid on topic posts in there I guess but worth avoiding the “creepy uncle” of the site

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Maybe so. I've already moved a bunch of topics out of there, that shouldnt have been there in the first place. I'll monitor the section and tweak as needed.

As I said, this is a test and I'll adjust.

greasy

LTTR BOX
Donating Member
Reaction score
We might have to narrow the scope a little bit so that we don't lose those good topics, this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Pay attention to where you post threads and there won't be any issues. If you're opted in it doesn't matter anyway. You'll see all the threads.

Remember to keep On Topic subjects in On Topic and don't bring politics into any Off Topic threads. This move is designed to keep the topics separate.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Cleaning up the thread. Dont worry, I'm not censoring anyone purposely.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Obligatory "does this affect Tapa" question.
Unlike using the ignore thread function, which Tapa does not honor, this should affect Tapa. Unless you opt in, you wont see on topic discussions on there.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
If you have opted in, please let me know so I can test more. My test account worked last night but now when I try to opt in again, it didnt work. I had to manually do it. Probably something I overlooked.

It looked like it worked for Matt so I'm not too worried about it.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Ok, should have ironed out some kinks. Kept fucking up the usergroup permissions.

EVERYONE should be able to see that On Topic exists and what posts reside in there. You just cant interact. They also wont show up in whats new. This will allow you guys to decide if the contents are worth checking out, etc.

Edit: I'm still having issues when I choose to opt out, as it keeps me in....but thats something I can figure out later.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'll opt in, so I double click my avatar and I get.... This
:rofl:

Screenshot_20200703-125722_Chrome.jpg

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Another bump. I THINK I now have it where if you opt in or out, it is instant and doesnt need the site to run the update every hour.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom