On Topic “You Can Shove Your Job” - Why Millions Are Quitting

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Tarl did a much better job showing off his chest hair.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Russell Brand is one of the few that got away from Hollywierd and has become quite based on current events.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
not sure why he rubs me the wrong way, don't typically watch him although when i have i actually thought he has done a good job at least making his points. forgot my headphones in my apartment today so didn't watch the above. wonder how many people are really quitting and so on and what they are doing instead.

was talking to a high up guy in tech yesterday and demoing the new software i'm working with, one of the things he mentioned was how hard it is to find people right now to do the work he's sold; he also said he sold more [consulting work] this quarter than in a typical 3+ quarters.

personally i just switched tech jobs; it wasn't exactly a like for like in terms of role though. my base salary is actually a fair gap lower; although arguably my equity is up and my variable pay can be way up.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ll say that hiring roles on my team as permanently remote has brought a much larger pool of applicants than if we required them in-person in the DC metro.

ZXMustang

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ll say that hiring roles on my team as permanently remote has brought a much larger pool of applicants than if we required them in-person in the DC metro.
My opinion is that most of the workforce was "sent home" to work because of covid. Then after a year or more of awesome working from home, they were asked to return to (going in the office) the horrible scenario of getting up earlier, commuting again and spending more money on gas/lunches and so on they said hell no and quit. Now they are looking for another "work from home job" and enjoying some government benefits in the meantime. My company tried to bring people back and realized they too would probably lose a third of their workforce, so they made everyone perm work from home and all has been well. No need to sit in traffic or roll out of bed hours before you need to actually start working.

I would feel the same. I have worked from home since March of 2020. Now perm work from home. It would be a nightmare if I was asked to go back into an office. I roll out of bed at 8:45. Start "working" at 9am, a.k.a heating up breakfast/coffee and sitting at my computer still waking up. Things dont really start happening until 10am really anyway for most people. Then I use my second PC to watch netflix or youtube while using my work PC to actually work. Or Ill put on music or take my laptop out back and sit in the lanai.

This is a new world. Working from home is going to be expected now, and if you cant accommodate that, then you are going out of business. You got fucking mcdonalds paying idiots to still fuck your food up at $15 an hour and STILL cant find people to work those jobs. This country is FUCKED.

OP
Blood on Blood

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
My opinion is that most of the workforce was "sent home" to work because of covid. Then after a year or more of awesome working from home, they were asked to return to (going in the office) the horrible scenario of getting up earlier, commuting again and spending more money on gas/lunches and so on they said hell no and quit. Now they are looking for another "work from home job" and enjoying some government benefits in the meantime. My company tried to bring people back and realized they too would probably lose a third of their workforce, so they made everyone perm work from home and all has been well. No need to sit in traffic or roll out of bed hours before you need to actually start working.

I would feel the same. I have worked from home since March of 2020. Now perm work from home. It would be a nightmare if I was asked to go back into an office. I roll out of bed at 8:45. Start "working" at 9am, a.k.a heating up breakfast/coffee and sitting at my computer still waking up. Things dont really start happening until 10am really anyway for most people. Then I use my second PC to watch netflix or youtube while using my work PC to actually work. Or Ill put on music or take my laptop out back and sit in the lanai.

This is a new world. Working from home is going to be expected now, and if you cant accommodate that, then you are going out of business. You got fucking mcdonalds paying idiots to still fuck your food up at $15 an hour and STILL cant find people to work those jobs. This country is FUCKED.
There are companies who leveraged the commuting hours and flexibility of nights / weekends that the Covid WFH offered to expand the goals, responsibilities and deliverables of their staff, especially IT depts.

Problem is leadership still looking for the same productivity output, while now re-introducing WFW (commute time).

60 hrs +, along with a decent commute, may not be a sustainable long term model.

Also to mention, folks are looking for flexible start / end times, especially one off occasions, that works within a global business model.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
It's not about the money. Time is money. WFH = work/life balance. Your personal time should be respected, spending 40 hours in a mundane office when it can be done anywhere with a connection is an old boomer-esque mentality. No matter how trendy the desks, free food, floorplan layout and colorful the office is, it still doesn't beat WFH if you have the space and setup at home imo. From experience there are a few that still prefer commuting to the office, they feel more productive and I understand that part. Maybe they don't have the luxury or space for a decent setup, or they just want/need to disconnect from home too.

For sure one of the few good things to come out of covid was forcing WFH adoption, they've opened pandora's box for applicants to look elsewhere.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
guy i was chatting with a couple days ago, iirc said pre-covid travel budget was 2m a year. while this year so far was 30k. but some people wanted to see them back in office [consulting] - so weird. i had same or multi day trips where flight + hotel + rental car was all this money where i would literally have 1-2 one hour meetings. always did seem wild. may-aug or so 2018 i shortly worked for a small/quickly growing chicago local model based consulting company, was surprised but interested to see (i had been out of consulting for 7 years) that they would come into the consulting company's office, but not necessarily go to the client. the one project i was on, i worked from the office, but went on site with the client (down state) for only 2 few day visits. others with clients in the burbs or even down town for at least 50% of the projects would only occasionally go on site. the other 50% they were indeed on site 90+% of the time though. will be interesting to see what the on site rates are post-pandemic.

OP
Blood on Blood

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
It's not about the money. Time is money. WFH = work/life balance. Your personal time should be respected, spending 40 hours in a mundane office when it can be done anywhere with a connection is an old boomer-esque mentality. No matter how trendy the desks, free food, floorplan layout and colorful the office is, it still doesn't beat WFH if you have the space and setup at home imo. From experience there are a few that still prefer commuting to the office, they feel more productive and I understand that part. Maybe they don't have the luxury or space for a decent setup, or they just want/need to disconnect from home too.

For sure one of the few good things to come out of covid was forcing WFH adoption, they've opened pandora's box for applicants to look elsewhere.
And as we have seen a remote work force, within region or across the US. / Global, offers a larger talent pool and a “follow the sun” mode for global companies / customer base.

That said, I’m accustomed to a hybrid WFH / WFW at current and previous employers for those who work / commute from an office.

2 days in the office, 3 remote, is a decent starting point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom