Anyone know of a 03/04 Cobra IRS for sale locally?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
So the engine is in?

Not yet.... Still talking with Maximum Motorsports getting spring rates figured out so I can order the new k-member and coil over setup....

We were discussing the rear suspension and their entire rear kit is kinda pricey, so I started looking at possibly doing an IRS rear swap instead of their torque arm panhard bar setup...

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Mustangs use a tq arm?

Not normally, no. Maximum Motorsports makes a kit though that changes everything over to a torque arm & panhard bar setup which they used to run on their cars forever, but I think even they've switched to IRS as well....

The kit looks like this:
MMTASS-1H_LG.jpg

After you add the lower control arms and everything else into the package you're talking over $1500 for it, so I'm going to look for an IRS setup instead, then just add their bushings and whatnot to it, or possibly stuff from FTBR....

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
That's what I thought, what would be the benefit to switching to a tq arm? It's actually the one thing I hate about the camaros. Takes up so much room

From suspension theory the long link should help provide excellent traction from a dig and low risk of stuff binding up as well as overall simplicity. That's actually a really cool setup especially since it looks like it may be usable with a stock rear spring setup if you had some sort of travel limiting.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Not yet.... Still talking with Maximum Motorsports getting spring rates figured out so I can order the new k-member and coil over setup....

We were discussing the rear suspension and their entire rear kit is kinda pricey, so I started looking at possibly doing an IRS rear swap instead of their torque arm panhard bar setup...

ricer excuses

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
id have to ask Jbigs but I think his MM frontend has the 400lb springs. now that his shits driving we've not had any issues with hard bumps in the road bottoming it out

Does he have all the MM front end? The parts look ridiculously well built and I've yet to read a negative comment on them, hopefully I hear back from them early in the week so I can place the order...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah. he had to buy the MM stuffs after he "saved $" buying the garantelli when people were having problems he got nervous

much nicer design and construction, the garantelli had to of been final welded out of the jig or something cause it was a real pita to line it up to the body points and squared off via the lbj centerlines.

plus moving the tires in the wheel wells sucks.

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
Not normally, no. Maximum Motorsports makes a kit though that changes everything over to a torque arm & panhard bar setup which they used to run on their cars forever, but I think even they've switched to IRS as well....

The kit looks like this:
MMTASS-1H_LG.jpg

After you add the lower control arms and everything else into the package you're talking over $1500 for it, so I'm going to look for an IRS setup instead, then just add their bushings and whatnot to it, or possibly stuff from FTBR....

i have a panhard bar set up and upper and lower and upper control arms just removed from my sn95.i believe they are made by kenny brown.it was a road race set up on my 1994 cobra when i bought.older set up .you can have for a couple of hundred dollars.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Anyone know how all the wheel offset shit works? I'm horrible trying to figure this stuff out....

I know the 1993 cobra rear end is .75" wider than a stock 8.8 rear ended on say a GT....

The IRS is supposedly 1" wider per side than a stock 8.8 setup, so it sounds like the IRS would be about .25" wider than my current setup?

The stock Cobra wheels are 17x7.5" with a 41mm offset. The 5 lug reproduction wheels are 17x8.5 with a 30mm offset.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info