Anyone have a dog crate or indoor pen?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I'm probably getting a dog either this coming weekend or shortly thereafter and I'm wondering if anyone has a pen and/or dog crate they don't need anymore. I'm getting a boxer pup so in order to avoid having to buy another crate it'll have to be a medium to large crate 42"x30" minimum. The crate will most likey be just for training purposes/safe place as I'm not fond of locking up a dog for hours on end which is why I'd prefer a pen as well to give them some room to move around and play and have a pee pad outside the crate.

If anyone has anything let me know and yes I'll post pics when we get the dog.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I'm probably getting a dog either this coming weekend or shortly thereafter and I'm wondering if anyone has a pen and/or dog crate they don't need anymore. I'm getting a boxer pup so in order to avoid having to buy another crate it'll have to be a medium to large crate 42"x30" minimum. The crate will most likey be just for training purposes/safe place as I'm not fond of locking up a dog for hours on end which is why I'd prefer a pen as well to give them some room to move around and play and have a pee pad outside the crate.

If anyone has anything let me know and yes I'll post pics when we get the dog.

I do, I have a wire cage type but it's missing the bottom tray you can buy them for 20 bucks though, I bought it used a year ago and ended up getting gifted a large plastic cage that the dog liked better, I'll send/post pics of your interested

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Well damn, I didn't think I'd get responses that fast. Thanks guys.

I lucked into a pen from my sister in law for Free ninety free that was formerly a small inadequate prison cell for my escape artist niece and nephew. I got a line on a large metal crate from my brother in laws girlfriend but it might be a bit big. Considering it's for a labradoodle. She said it's almost the size of a sofa which might be too big but she also considers a Kia Optima a huge car.
[MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION] if it's not too much trouble post pics of the cage and let me know what you want for it.

And I ALWAYS forget about Farm and Fleet.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Well damn, I didn't think I'd get responses that fast. Thanks guys.

I lucked into a pen from my sister in law for Free ninety free that was formerly a small inadequate prison cell for my escape artist niece and nephew. I got a line on a large metal crate from my brother in laws girlfriend but it might be a bit big. Considering it's for a labradoodle. She said it's almost the size of a sofa which might be too big but she also considers a Kia Optima a huge car.
[MENTION=917]1quick[/MENTION] if it's not too much trouble post pics of the cage and let me know what you want for it.

And I ALWAYS forget about Farm and Fleet.

I would take 20 bucks for it just to get it out of my way it's I believe the largest or second largest size cage, I'll set it up later if I have time today but here is a picture of it folded up

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
My best advice is to not even start with pee pads... Many people have problems getting them off pee pads and I've seen many times where people end up having the dog pee on small rugs in front of say doors or sinks because they think those little "areas" are for them to pee on.

Crate train for the first few weeks and they'll be housebroken before you know it.

Look for a crate with a removable divider as well. You don't want to give them too much room while training. They wont go to the bathroom where they sleep, but if they think they can go in a corner and then sleep on the other side of the crate they will.....

Here's the info I got from my breeder and it worked out great. small handful of accidents which were mostly from me not paying enough attention to their queues, but now both pups will ring a bell on the back door when they need to go out.

"Crate Training - This is my explanation in a nutshell.

The pup will spend a lot of time in the crate for the first 6-8 weeks after going to your home. The theory behind crate training is that dogs do not want to lay in their own waste. There is always the exception to the rule, but for the most part this is accurate. If you are not watching every single move they are making, they are not outside or in your lap; they belong in their crate. This is not a punishment, they come to love their crate and think of it as their safe place and home.
Crate sizing is important. Too big and they will think it is ok to poop in a corner and lay on the other side. The crate should be big enough for the pup to stand up and turn around.

Example of how a day should go.

Sleeps in crate all night. Carry pup to potty spot, do not let them walk. After he/she goes potty, bring in and serve breakfast. After he/she eats, right back into the crate. Wait 20-30 minutes, take to potty spot, doesn't go potty, right back in the crate. (if he/she goes potty and you need to go to work or can not supervise the pup, right back in the crate is ok too)

Basically, the pup cannot come out for supervised play until you see them potty.

Again, the pup should be in your lap, be in the potty spot, or you are watching every move they make or they are in their crate. These are the only options until potty trained. If you are consistent, you can have the pup trained in approximately 30 days."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info