Forum Register TCG Mobile Casino Live Posting Feed Garage Arcade Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Chicago Garage > General Discussion > Off Topic > TV & Movies

User Tag List

Like Tree55Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #26
Forum Sponsor
 
daturbosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora
Posts: 11,528
Casino cash: $50064918
2.77 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayin View Post
Wait. Are you talking about Star Wars or Terminator? Because that's definitely true for Terminator.
starwars
__________________
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - 630.885.9333
daturbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #27
 
Kensington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,469
Casino cash: $37270500
10.62 per day
Default

Our generation demands nostalgia for the 80's and 90's, and that's what sells...that's why we get so many shitty remakes and reproduction toys and games and shit
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #28
Go ahead. I'll catch up.
 
Flyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Posts: 45,602
Casino cash: $231042900
8.12 per day
Default

'80s made better movies. That's why people are nostalgic.
Mr_Roboto likes this.
Flyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #29
Smells own farts
 
VenomousDSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Yorkville, il
Posts: 13,255
Casino cash: $44437895
2.75 per day
Default

Bath salts are a hell of a drug....
__________________
2003 DSG Cobra
1999 Performance Red GT (SOLD)
VenomousDSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #30
Public Enemy #1
 
Sprayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 16,974
Casino cash: $67751538
4.31 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
@Sprayin is just pissed because T2 won 4 technical achievement Oscars, and counting Oscars is a direct correlation to how "good" a movie is, obviously. Whereas the first Terminator didn't win or get nominated for ANY Oscars, so it can't be overrated.

The first Terminator is overrated if anything.
You're directly proving my point and not refuting it actually. If you think *any* of the Terminator movies are Oscar worthy, then I don't know what to tell you.
__________________
Semi-Retired
Sprayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #31
 
Kensington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,469
Casino cash: $37270500
10.62 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayin View Post
You're directly proving my point and not refuting it actually. If you think *any* of the Terminator movies are Oscar worthy, then I don't know what to tell you.
No, you've been completely missing my point the entire time. Technical Oscars DON'T MEAN SHIT about the quality of a movie.

T2 is a good movie by itself. At the time the CG was groundbreaking. The story was probably better than it should've been. But it won no awards for story, screenplay, writing, direction, acting, etc, and it wasn't nominated for any either. It was visually a great movie. Again, you've completely missed the point, that good visuals =/= good movie and # of Oscars (especially technical awards) =/= the overall quality of a movie.
Fish and Chester Copperpot like this.
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #32
 
Atomicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schaumburg
Posts: 1,606
Casino cash: $14547300
0.38 per day
Default

As long as you still like it, that's okay with me.
Atomicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #33
Public Enemy #1
 
Sprayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 16,974
Casino cash: $67751538
4.31 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
No, you've been completely missing my point the entire time. Technical Oscars DON'T MEAN SHIT about the quality of a movie.

T2 is a good movie by itself. At the time the CG was groundbreaking. The story was probably better than it should've been. But it won no awards for story, screenplay, writing, direction, acting, etc, and it wasn't nominated for any either. It was visually a great movie. Again, you've completely missed the point, that good visuals =/= good movie and # of Oscars (especially technical awards) =/= the overall quality of a movie.
That's not at all what we are even talking about. Lets recap. T2 is overrated. The Terminator is a better movie. People only like T2 cuz nostalgia (either too young for T1 or wasn't born yet.)

If you wanted to have an argument about Oscars, *the argument doesn't change*. It's still overrated based on the number of Oscars it won.
Sprayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #34
 
Kensington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,469
Casino cash: $37270500
10.62 per day
Default

And I am going back to your back-asswards theories of how a movie gets to be overrated, see the Fury Road thread.

Your theories are based on nothing concrete.

At this point, it just seems like you just call out things as overrated, because they have overwhelming popularity (AKA hipster theory.) Prove me wrong.
Chester Copperpot likes this.
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #35
Public Enemy #1
 
Sprayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 16,974
Casino cash: $67751538
4.31 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
And I am going back to your back-asswards theories of how a movie gets to be overrated, see the Fury Road thread.

Your theories are based on nothing concrete.

At this point, it just seems like you just call out things as overrated, because they have overwhelming popularity (AKA hipster theory.) Prove me wrong.
That is *LITERALLY* what overrated means. So using the Oscars as a metric is a problem for you (even though this movie still qualifies by that metric), and saying that people overly like it is a problem for you also? Looks to me like it's just you with a problem.
Sprayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #36
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87,795
Casino cash: $143549000
19.78 per day
Default

__________________
01 525i
01 turbo pricks
13 gas 3500hd cclb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
TCG: We pull vanity fair models in our F150ís because Teslaís are unsafe.
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #37
 
Kensington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,469
Casino cash: $37270500
10.62 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayin View Post
That is *LITERALLY* what overrated means. So using the Oscars as a metric is a problem for you (even though this movie still qualifies by that metric), and saying that people overly like it is a problem for you also? Looks to me like it's just you with a problem.
So what you're saying is that any movie that has a large fan base and/or is universally loved is overrated?
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #38
From the mean streets....
 
Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chiraq
Posts: 35,972
Casino cash: $65533700
8.24 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron View Post
T2 vs T1 is a similar comparison to Aliens vs Alien

T1 is, like Alien, more of a sci fi / horror film than and action film

T2 is far more Action/ Sci fi as is Aliens.

All are excellent movies and arguably the best of their types ever made.
This is spot fucking on. T1 and Alien are scifi horror movies while their sequels are more action. Both are great movies for different reasons.

Both had great visual effects for their time that pushed the envelope. T1's stop motion metal skeleton is still awesome to see even today. It has a Star Wars OG trilogy vibe with the practical effects and was amazing at the time.

T2 was one of the first movies I remember seeing with CGI at the level it was at. I mean there are movies and TV shows today that get made with less care and lower quality visuals and its almost 30 years ago. T2 was probably made on a god damn 486 that rivals a potato in computing power but these clowns cant do good effects with the machines they have now. Its amazing.

The music was stepped up a notch for sure as well in T2, which is also why I think it is also well remembered.

Overrated, I dont think so. Best movie of all time? Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayin View Post
You're directly proving my point and not refuting it actually. If you think *any* of the Terminator movies are Oscar worthy, then I don't know what to tell you.
Technical Oscars cannot be overlooked IMO. That is something that opinions cannot really be bias about. Did T2 look better than TMNT 2? Hell yes. doing a quick google search can show you what movies that came out, and no other movie holds a candle to T2 when it comes to effects or visuals.
__________________
PSN = cyber-fish
Steam = cs_fish

My RetroAchievements
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #39
Go ahead. I'll catch up.
 
Flyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Posts: 45,602
Casino cash: $231042900
8.12 per day
Default

This thread is hilarious.
Flyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #40
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 9,927
Casino cash: $112147000
1.82 per day
Default

T2 is one of the best movies of that era! This is a fact!

I watched it recently with my kids and they were mind blown with how awesome it was! Crazy to think that movie is 28 years old!
__________________
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
2002 Mustang GT
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #41
Public Enemy #1
 
Sprayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 16,974
Casino cash: $67751538
4.31 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
So what you're saying is that any movie that has a large fan base and/or is universally loved is overrated?
Keep stretching, you might reach something eventually.
Sprayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #42
 
Mook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Elgin
Posts: 159,950
Casino cash: $92015000
36.03 per day
Default

Good news! Seeing as how these threads always get a good response, we are going to make SprayinTomatoes a weekly discussion. Stay tuned for our next great debate!

Also peep the new logo in the first post.
__________________
- TCG Owner & Operator -
Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #43
Public Enemy #1
 
Sprayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 16,974
Casino cash: $67751538
4.31 per day
Default

Name:  2c092e864503107815af8b652b5199db.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  36.8 KB

Does anyone actually think this kid was a decent actor?
Sprayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #44
 
Kensington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,469
Casino cash: $37270500
10.62 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
And I am going back to your back-asswards theories of how a movie gets to be overrated, see the Fury Road thread.

Your theories are based on nothing concrete.

At this point, it just seems like you just call out things as overrated, because they have overwhelming popularity (AKA hipster theory.) Prove me wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayin View Post
That is *LITERALLY* what overrated means. So using the Oscars as a metric is a problem for you (even though this movie still qualifies by that metric), and saying that people overly like it is a problem for you also? Looks to me like it's just you with a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
So what you're saying is that any movie that has a large fan base and/or is universally loved is overrated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayin View Post
Keep stretching, you might reach something eventually.
I'm lost. But you said the definition of overrated is *LITERALLY* being overwhelmingly popular...spoiler alert, it's not.
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #45
Public Enemy #1
 
Sprayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 16,974
Casino cash: $67751538
4.31 per day
Default

Jesus Christ. Apparently I have to spell this out like I'm talking to a 5th grader. Overrated in such that it has the "universal love" (read: cult status) that gives it the perception of being better than it actually is. This doesn't take away from it being a good movie. It is not the movie it is made out to be.

This is the 2nd thread in which all you have done is argue about the definition of overrated instead of contributing to the discussion. I'm betting it is because you don't have any actual points to whether or not it is a good movie or not. And instead of trying to make that point once, you keep hammering it, because you have zero other talking points.
Sprayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #46
Public Enemy #1
 
Sprayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 16,974
Casino cash: $67751538
4.31 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron View Post
T2 vs T1 is a similar comparison to Aliens vs Alien

T1 is, like Alien, more of a sci fi / horror film than and action film

T2 is far more Action/ Sci fi as is Aliens.

All are excellent movies and arguably the best of their types ever made.
Somehow I missed this post. This is a pretty good point. Maybe that's my sticking point in why I like T1 better. Sci/Fi Horror > Action porn.
Sprayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #47
 
Kensington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,469
Casino cash: $37270500
10.62 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayin View Post
Jesus Christ. Apparently I have to spell this out like I'm talking to a 5th grader. Overrated in such that it has the "universal love" (read: cult status) that gives it the perception of being better than it actually is. This doesn't take away from it being a good movie. It is not the movie it is made out to be.

This is the 2nd thread in which all you have done is argue about the definition of overrated instead of contributing to the discussion. I'm betting it is because you don't have any actual points to whether or not it is a good movie or not. And instead of trying to make that point once, you keep hammering it, because you have zero other talking points.
And this is the second thread where you literally have bad takes and have offered 0 evidence to why you believe it to be true. Other than it's apparently has a cult status, and is apparently perceived better, but can't fathom that it was good then and is good now.

I've already posted (take a gander a few posts up) that I thought the movie itself was good, the visuals were great, but the movie was what it was. And that's EXACTLY what I said about Fury Road in that thread.

You have bad takes. At least back your bad takes up with some semblance of actual thought or evidence
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #48
Public Enemy #1
 
Sprayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 16,974
Casino cash: $67751538
4.31 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
And this is the second thread where you literally have bad takes and have offered 0 evidence to why you believe it to be true. Other than it's apparently has a cult status, and is apparently perceived better, but can't fathom that it was good then and is good now.

I've already posted (take a gander a few posts up) that I thought the movie itself was good, the visuals were great, but the movie was what it was. And that's EXACTLY what I said about Fury Road in that thread.

You have bad takes. At least back your bad takes up with some semblance of actual thought or evidence
I'll see your point about that, I started in on saying it was overrated and it devolved from there. Still you are just arguing for arguments sake. I stated pretty clearly in Fury Road why it is overrated.

Both of these threads started out of a conversation I was in the middle of with @Mook so the initial posting wasn't inclusive of what it should have been.
Sprayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #49
 
Kensington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,469
Casino cash: $37270500
10.62 per day
Default

Also, it does not have a "cult following", as cult following insinuates a small following of devoted fans, whereas T2 was released to wide critical and audience acclaim, and made over $500M worldwide....

That's not a cult movie or cult following by definition
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #50
Public Enemy #1
 
Sprayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 16,974
Casino cash: $67751538
4.31 per day
Default

Cult following to mean that you idiots will defend it with your dying breath no matter what. Again, fuck off with the semantics.
Sprayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts