Movie The Many Saints of Newark (Sopranos Prequel Movie)

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I WOULD BE ALL OVER THIS. Fuck.

David Chase revives The Sopranos with prequel The Many Saints Of Newark | Deadline
EXCLUSIVE: David Chase is finally ready to return to the New Jersey turf of his iconic creation The Sopranos. New Line has purchased the screenplay The Many Saints of Newark, the working title for a feature prequel of The Sopranos that is set in the era of the Newark riots in the 60s. That was a time when the African-Americans and the Italians of Newark were at each other’s throats, and amongst the gangsters of each group, those conflicts became especially lethal.

Some of the beloved characters from the series will appear in the film. I couldn’t get any more information about the plot, but the time period indicates there will be room for Tony Soprano’s father, Giovanni “Johnny Boy,” the former captain of the Soprano crew (played in flashbacks by Joseph Siravo), and a younger version of his wife Livia (played indelibly in the show’s first season by Nancy Marchand), and Tony’s uncle Junior, played by Chianese.

Chase will serve as producer as well as co-writer, and he will be involved in selecting a director.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
welp, this is definitely still happening.

https://www.slashfilm.com/sopranos-movie-cast/

The Sopranos movie, The Many Saints of Newark, is still happening, and the first piece of potential casting has been announced. Alessandro Nivola is in negotiations to play Dickey Moltisanti in the film, which is set before the events of The Sopranos. That’s no doubt a familiar name to fans of the show – Dickey Moltisanti was the father of Christopher Moltisanti, played by Michael Imperioli in the groundbreaking HBO series. Dickey was already dead by the time the events of The Sopranos took place, but The Many Saints of Newark will likely fill in his backstory. More on the Sopranos movie cast below.

Back in March, we learned that Sopranos creator David Chase was penning a script for a prequel movie called The Many Saints of Newark. It was announced the film would be set in the 1960s, but it wasn’t entirely clear which Sopranos characters would be popping up. Now, Variety reveals that Alessandro Nivola, who appeared in The Neon Demon, A Most Violent Year, and more, is likely to play Richard “Dickey” Moltisanti, father of main Sopranos character Christopher Moltisanti.

As revealed in The Sopranos, Dickey was a soldier in the Soprano crew, and good friends with Tony Soprano – the two were the same age, in fact. Dickey died in the 1970s, supposedly shot by a cop named Detective Lt. Barry Haydu. Years later, Tony helped Christopher locate Haydu, enabling Christopher to get revenge. However, since The Sopranos loved to deal with moral complexities and ambiguity, there was always some doubt that the cop was really Dickey’s killer.

Chase is penning the Many Saints script with Sopranos writer Lawrence Konner, and Alan Taylor, who directed several Sopranos episodes, is helming the film. As previously reported, the story will follow “the violent clashes between the African-American and Italian communities of Newark at the height of the Newark race riots in the 1960s. With tensions rising across the city, the conflicts between the gangsters of the groups became especially lethal.”

I remain perplexed about this whole endeavor. I loved The Sopranos – it’s one of the best shows of all time, in my humble opinion. But I just don’t see the need for a prequel movie. At the same time, knowing that creator David Chase is involved and working with several Sopranos creatives is a huge plus. Worst case scenario is the film will be a disappointment, and inspire me to rewatch the original series again instead. Best case scenario: it will be a welcomed return to the world Chase created.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
This keeps getting better and better.

The cast of the Sopranos prequel is taking shape.

PEOPLE confirms that Jon Bernthal and Vera Farmiga are in final negotiations to join the cast of New Line’s The Many Saints of Newark, a prequel film to the beloved HBO series. Variety was the first to report the news.

The Punisher star Bernthal, 42, and Bates Motel star Farmiga, 45, join Alessandro Nivola in the ensemble drama.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:run: :run:

https://www.slashfilm.com/sopranos-prequel-movie-cast-ray-liotta/

Ray Liotta is going back to his mob movie roots. The GoodFellas actor is the latest name to join the Sopranos prequel movie The Many Saints of Newark. There’s no word on who Liotta is playing, but there’s a full-circle element to this casting. Back when The Sopranos was still in development, Liotta was considered to play the lead of Tony Soprano. The actor turned the part down, however, because he wanted to focus on films. The role eventually went to James Gandolfini, and the rest is TV history.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Ray-Liotta-Chantix-Goodfellas-Joe-Lindquist.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info