Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
All 3 seasons done. Here is my point by point review.

1. As mentioned, this is a gorgeous show. Maybe one of THE most beautiful ever shot. Most of this was done on location in Canada, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, and at times...its breathtaking (especially in 4k). The cinematography was amazing as well. The use of shadows and nighttime are just incredible. Great article about the filming - https://na.panasonic.com/us/trends/dp-david-herrington-brings-dark-realism-netflixs-frontier

2. Jason Momoa deserves far more roles than he is given and even tho he was the "star" of this, he was totally underutilized. His on screen presence is commanding but he was given very little dialogue, which is unfortunate. His mannerisms, facial expressions and even his grunts go a long way to a convincing character.

3. The main story dragged....badly at times. There was no reason for it to go on for 3 seasons. The side stories were far more engaging but were sloppy and tried too hard to dabble in the constant deception and OH WOW moments that a GOT, for example, has. With that said, I found the side stories and side characters far more compelling.

4. No word on a season 4 but if it does get renewed, I hope for tighter writing and less story lines. There are 2 main ones now and I'm eager to see those pan out rather than multiple branching stories that still involve all the players...theres no need for sub stories within the story if you're just using the same characters. If that makes sense.

Bonus: I had ZERO idea that Jason Momoa is starring in a Just Cause movie (Just Cause is a video game and he is PERFECT casting). Cant wait to see that actually pan out.

SO, should you watch the show? If you are in need of something to watch, even as background noise...yes. You can get through each 6 episode season pretty quick. If you own a higher end tv, this is eye candy. If you are already knee deep in tv, put this on the back burner.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info