The Chicago Garage

The Chicago Garage (https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/)
-   On Topic (https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/topic/)
-   -   You can change one thing about TCG. What would it be? (https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/topic/162503-you-can-change-one-thing-about-tcg-what-would.html)

Eagle 01-03-2018 11:45 AM

You can change one thing about TCG. What would it be?

Since everyone has seen Mook's thread, I figured I'd pose a theoretical discussion topic.

In full disclosure, I'm posting this on my own.

We have a great community here, with plenty of members who positively contribute. We've also got squeaky wheels, good and bad content (depending on perspective) and certainly plenty of controversy. As Mike points out, TCG has been more of a drain this past year rather than a positive impact. We've lost some members for various reasons, other OG members who are still here have expressed concerns. We don't track or classify reasons that we lose members, so its hard to analyze what's going on here.

TCG has always been an open community which made the conscious decision to allow a very open and lightly moderated environment where anyone could express themselves however they liked. Of course, this is a difficult line to walk without sometimes having someone step on someone else's feet. This policy and the resulting atmosphere makes TCG a very unique place on the internet. It's also earned us quite a few compliments and praises over the years.

That's where you come in. If you think TCG is a great place and needs nothing changed, great! Post up and tell us all why. But if you think something could be changed/tweaked to better continue the site's mission - let's hear it!

Please be constructive in any responses.

And go!

EmersonHart13 01-03-2018 11:46 AM

More TCG Tour.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA 01-03-2018 11:55 AM

When I first came over from CSVT with the merge it took awhile to figure out the dynamics of the forums. Some of the people came off as "click-ish" but that's going to happen when many people have known each other for years or know one another in real life.

After awhile I got to know many of the people on here and I feel like I know many of you on here even though I haven't physically met many of you.

I think that if people could stay around longer and see how everyone actually interacts with one another we would see more people sticking around.

I can also see why some people would leave if they feel they're just not being able to get a word in when it comes to certain discussions.

It's definitely a fine balancing act that needs to happen to keep everyone happy.

EmersonHart13 01-03-2018 11:57 AM

More car content less controversial content.

I know some of that brings in posters but I don't know if it is worth it?

I'd also turn up the moderation a bit. I love the freedom but I think it definitely runs people away because its often like the wild wild west here.

As @Mike K says... We are a study on mob mentality.

Outlaw 01-03-2018 12:00 PM

Agree with Emerballs. After a bit of a hiatus myself (of no fault of the forum or its members) I came back to some of the political threads with the immediate thought of "Is this real fucking life?" On both ends of the spectrum as well...

Mike K 01-03-2018 12:04 PM

People are now coming to a car forum for politics. If we don't want this to turn into a political forum you incentivize posting in the sub-forums directly related to the site's purpose. What I would try (and maybe it would totally backfire) is awarding the ability to make one post in the on-topic sub-forum for every 5 posts a poster makes in other sub-forums. So after 5 posts around the forum, commenting on KJ's electric side by side or telling me how much you think Tesla sucks, you'd then have the ability to make one post in the on-topic forum. This would also curb intentional trolling as you wouldn't want to waste your post on it.

This eliminates the ability to come here solely to debate politics/ current events and encourages participation in other parts of the forum.

Eagle 01-03-2018 12:07 PM

TCG never really has considered itself exclusively "a car forum" - I think that is a misconception actually.

Politics are pushed into our faces everywhere in life today. Only seems natural that it would bleed into this medium as well, no?

Also, if politics aren't of interest, no need to go into those sub-forums right? Not trying to be a dick about it at all. I do see how some threads can take features like live feed away from some members looking to avoid that content.

SleeperLS 01-03-2018 12:10 PM

I don't think TCG needs to change. If you don't want to deal with politics, don't click on a political thread. If politics get involved in an on topic thread and it doesn't warrant that, then a mod should step in just like you guys do to keep things on topic. People are taking the internet too serious for the most part. So someone disagrees with you or has some radical view... who gives a crap. It is ultimately up to you on how much words impact your life.

BADAZZTEALCOBRA 01-03-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike K (Post 3687483)
People are now coming to a car forum for politics.

My question would be was it politics that brought them here? Most likely not.

Is it the political thread keeping them coming back though? Possibly.

The balancing act is the hard part. Some people just might be moving on in life and not caring as much about their cars. Some people might think the forum has become too political, but if they're not posting in the other forums no discussion happens about those items.

NOMIEZVR4 01-03-2018 12:13 PM

on other forums that i browse, getting rid of politics completely has cleaned them up. I never click on them to begin with, so i don't share others' resentment but that could be a start.

EDIT: the politics stuff seems to consume tcg eventually cause the threads blow up. Regarding peoples posts above about not clicking on them

EmersonHart13 01-03-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle (Post 3687493)
TCG never really has considered itself exclusively "a car forum" - I think that is a misconception actually.

Politics are pushed into our faces everywhere in life today. Only seems natural that it would bleed into this medium as well, no?

Also, if politics aren't of interest, no need to go into those sub-forums right? Not trying to be a dick about it at all. I do see how some threads can take features like live feed away from some members looking to avoid that content.

You are coming across as defensive.

I use the new posts button and live feed so there is no avoiding it.

Maybe if we had a new posts button that excluded certain areas?

Yaj Yak 01-03-2018 12:17 PM

live post option that avoids politics would give me a chub.

Ryan02Stang 01-03-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleeperLS (Post 3687500)
I don't think TCG needs to change. If you don't want to deal with politics, don't click on a political thread. If politics get involved in an on topic thread and it doesn't warrant that, then a mod should step in just like you guys do to keep things on topic. People are taking the internet too serious for the most part. So someone disagrees with you or has some radical view... who gives a crap. It is ultimately up to you on how much words impact your life.

This x1000.

People are sensitive in today's culture. They don't like something they run crying instead of debating and constructively arguing. Its the internet, you're going to read shit you don't like. If you're an adult, you ignore it.

I like TCG, no changes needed!

Chester Copperpot 01-03-2018 12:18 PM

I think the live feed (while not to blame) contributes in the solely political discussion. Once a topic gets on fire, that thread pushes everything out of the way.

I'd say remove On/Off topic from Live feed and leave only the car discussion to live feed. That way people have to dig for the political discussion but it keeps the relevant car topics.

Or an option as KJ added.

Other than that, TCG has been great and there is nothing else I can think of that needs changing. Regardless if you vehemently disagree with someone (as I know I do, and some do with me), I've still learned a lot from many different members regardless of the topic.

Eagle 01-03-2018 12:21 PM

Those not liking the livefeed should also check out NEW POSTS at the top of the page. Similar functionality, but doesn't update after every post.

Not sure livefeed is the issue at all, but it doesn't offer per-user configuration to tune out sub-forums, so they have to look at every single post.

I pretty much solely surf TCG from livefeed and trust me, I ignore plenty of threads I find there.

VenomInside 01-03-2018 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleeperLS (Post 3687500)

:werd:

Mike K 01-03-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle (Post 3687493)

Why ask questions if you have all the answers?

Eagle 01-03-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike K (Post 3687525)
Why ask questions if you have all the answers?

@Mike K - sorry you see it that way. I'm not trying to shut anyone down... I am asking for feedback. Just thought a clarification was needed is all.

EmersonHart13 01-03-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle (Post 3687521)
Those not liking the livefeed should also check out NEW POSTS at the top of the page. Similar functionality, but doesn't update after every post.

Not sure livefeed is the issue at all, but it doesn't offer per-user configuration to tune out sub-forums, so they have to look at every single post.

I pretty much solely surf TCG from livefeed and trust me, I ignore plenty of threads I find there.

You see the same thread when you press new posts..?

And yeah you went from sounding defensive to a Know It All or Has All The Answers

Yaj Yak 01-03-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

i like livefeed.

i mean shoutbox has an option to not be included on there :dunno:

live feed > new posts allll day errry day.

i ignore plenty of stuff as well, just thought it'd be a way for those who don't want to get involved in the political stuff, to not.

Eagle 01-03-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmersonHart13 (Post 3687530)
You see the same thread when you press new posts..?

Sure, but it does not push out all other threads like livefeed can when one particular thread is on fire.

EmersonHart13 01-03-2018 12:25 PM

I think LS1GTO has a new posts all and new posts tech content?

Sound right Carter?

Yaj Yak 01-03-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

you'd still have to go into the thread after clicking new posts.

i like that i don't have to go into threads to see what's going on from the live feed.

tinfoilhat 01-03-2018 12:26 PM

I'd update the site forum software regularly. :s00ls:

Other then that, people need to just chill the fuck out and take everything on here with a grain of salt. Most of the fuckers on here are sarcastic as hell and it doesn't come off correctly in text most of the time. Maybe more emojis that are easier to use to show this?

Blood on Blood 01-03-2018 12:27 PM

Try one’s best to get to the point in posts instead of writing novels with each reply (i.e., get to the point, land the plane).