The Chicago Garage

The Chicago Garage (https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/)
-   On Topic (https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/topic/)
-   -   Whose answer makes the most sense? (https://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/topic/124152-whose-answer-makes-most-sense.html)

Flyn 09-11-2012 12:50 PM

The creatures who become extinct give a fuck...or gave a fuck...before they all died.

Hard to find the right tense for extinction events.

Queen may have said it best:

All dead all dead
All the dreams we had
And I wonder why I still live on
All dead all dead
And alone I'm spared
My sweeter half instead
All dead and gone all dead

Turk 09-11-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyn High Again (Post 2495178)
The creatures who become extinct give a fuck...or gave a fuck...before they all died.

Species don't share the fucks they give, so they can't collectively give a fuck. They care about survival of the individual. When you look down at the steak you are about to eat, do you care how much fucks that cow gave when it was slaughtered? He probably gave about as many fucks as the polar bear that's losing his ice at the north pole.

Mook 09-11-2012 12:52 PM

how much fuck would a fuck give if a fuck could fuck a give?

Chester Copperpot 09-11-2012 12:59 PM

I give lots of fucks. In the form of sexual reproduction.

Other than that. Fuck you.

greasy 09-11-2012 01:00 PM

That garbage pile is absolutely out of control! I remember reading about it a few years back. Is there a plan in place to somehow start removing it?

tinfoilhat 09-11-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasy (Post 2495207)
That garbage pile is absolutely out of control! I remember reading about it a few years back. Is there a plan in place to somehow start removing it?

Nope

tinfoilhat 09-11-2012 01:06 PM

But I'm down to start collecting it and turning it into oil..

Some guy made a machine that turns plastic back into oil... and this was a couple years ago

Outlaw 09-11-2012 01:08 PM

Wonder what happened to him or his machine :rofl:

tinfoilhat 09-11-2012 01:09 PM

:rofl:

Chester Copperpot 09-11-2012 01:10 PM

Because government. Just as bad as religion.

:io:

greasy 09-11-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinfoilhat (Post 2495217)
Nope

I am sure nobody wants that cost burden.

tinfoilhat 09-11-2012 01:19 PM

Agreed unless you can turn garbage into oil!

Mike K 09-11-2012 01:24 PM

This seems like a pointless one to argue in my opinion. It's largely politically fueled which means that the side of the aisle you fall on is likely to affect your opinion of this when it shouldn't.

Hardcore liberals shout that the sky is falling and we'll all be dead in 5 months. Hardcore Republicans say that it's just normal climate fluctuations and that we've had no impact on the planet. Both extremes are ridiculous and I tend to find the Republican's extreme a little more asinine since they have to ignore a LARGE portion of the scientific community when they're weeding through sources trying to find someone that thinks it's a non-issue.

I'm not a scientist so I don't know. What I do know is that the number of scientists that believe global warming/ climate change is real versus the number of those that say it's not is a staggering ratio. Those that don't believe it's an issue are very few and far between.

I also believe that if you're a Republican that you're likely to read material written from that perspective and you're going to have preconceived notions that it's all a load of crap. From there you tend to do the normal thing that most people with preconceived notions do: you listen to everything that agrees with your point of view and ignore or discredit everything that doesn't. Likewise with the liberals.

Back to my original point: I don't know. I fear overpopulation more than I fear climate change. As a father I think that's a tangible problem that's more likely to affect my son in his lifetime.

tinfoilhat 09-11-2012 01:29 PM

Overpopulation is another myth.

You can still fit everyone in the world into Texas with around 700 sq ft per person.

Mike K 09-11-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinfoilhat (Post 2495269)
Overpopulation is another myth.

You can still fit everyone in the world into Texas with around 700 sq ft per person.

I'm not worried about running out of space... I'm worried about all the problems that come with a quick growing populace.

tinfoilhat 09-11-2012 01:57 PM

Gotcha.

We just need more smart people to solve the major problems :rofl:

Blood on Blood 09-11-2012 10:04 PM

Cap n Trade and anything that's associated with big business (such as a particular local utility company) is concerning.

MMBLUE 09-12-2012 04:10 AM

If you really want to see abuse of the enviroment, go to a 3rd world country. And tell me what they are doing about it? ....Exactly, not a damn thing.

It's all about fleecing money out of the American tax payer. The Libs need something to argue about.

Here's an oxymoron for you- what the hell is clean coal technology WTF? I don't know if you noticed or not but, that shit is dirty as hell.

If Solindra was such a GOOD idea, then why aren't everyday people busting down the walls to get involved with it.

ALL BS.

Burtonrider10022 09-12-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMBLUE (Post 2495979)
If you really want to see abuse of the enviroment, go to a 3rd world country. And tell me what they are doing about it? ....Exactly, not a damn thing.

It's all about fleecing money out of the American tax payer. The Libs need something to argue about.

Here's an oxymoron for you- what the hell is clean coal technology WTF? I don't know if you noticed or not but, that shit is dirty as hell.

If Solindra was such a GOOD idea, then why aren't everyday people busting down the walls to get involved with it.

ALL BS.

I had to google that one. Interesting read to say the least.

Thanks.

sickmint79 09-12-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMBLUE (Post 2495979)

ALL BS.

i never cared enough to really look at it too deeply - but i believe solyndra failed because it could not compete, not because the idea was terrible. i do believe carbon based stuff is running out or becoming quite scarce soon enough and is pollutant enough that i would support some kind of government measures, however during a recession is generally a poor time to implement ones that directly raise prices on people, and i also think many are just done poorly. ie. i don't think subsidies for all electric vehicles do anything to advance us to a time where all electrics are viable, and i question whether they ever will be.

Primalzer 09-12-2012 08:48 AM

Cars are not the problem. They are a drop in the bucket. 3rd world countries, ocean based transport, are the real issue at hand. Are they the cause of global warming? Probably not, but they are contributing to very tangible pollution and destruction in both the air and ocean. Acid rain, smog, etc are very real things, not just something that the Green Party is pushing.

sickmint79 09-12-2012 09:02 AM

we have a lot more cars than 3rd world countries do and we are wasteful for various reasons.

i think high priced oil will start pushing us towards better ways with market forces, both towards alternatives and more efficient usage of existing resources.
i think some kind of geoengineering will eventually be attempted (potentially successfully) to moderate temperature although it may come with other costs.
i would support major spending on infrastructure upgrades and a manhattan type project for energy, as well as programs that did not pick winners but did advance us towards more alternative options for powering cars and other things.

Eagle 09-12-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasy (Post 2495207)

SAFETY KLEEN NEEDS TO GET ON CLEANING THAT SHIT UP! :jg:

ilikemtb999 09-12-2012 09:08 AM

EV's are stupid.

At least the abominations that currently exist on the market are.

Primalzer 09-12-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickmint79 (Post 2496137)
we have a lot more cars than 3rd world countries do and we are wasteful for various reasons.

i think high priced oil will start pushing us towards better ways with market forces, both towards alternatives and more efficient usage of existing resources.
i think some kind of geoengineering will eventually be attempted (potentially successfully) to moderate temperature although it may come with other costs.
i would support major spending on infrastructure upgrades and a manhattan type project for energy, as well as programs that did not pick winners but did advance us towards more alternative options for powering cars and other things.

But the cars that we are currently using, even though we are wasteful, are actually quite clean. Again, cars, not the problem at all. Cows technically pollute more than cars these days. With the advent of catalytic converters, lead-free gas, urea injection on diesels, much higher-efficiency engines, recycled material production, aerodynamics, and a host of other items cars are probably the cleanest form of transport outside of walking or riding a bike.

Ocean transport vessels are the highest polluting form of transport. There are 0 restrictions on the quality of fuel burned or the amount of pollution they emit. Some analysis' have them as the largest producer of land based pollution.