• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

2014 Focus Auto Trans Problem

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I’m asking for a friend. She has a 2014 Focus with 124k miles. It won’t go into reverse. She had it towed. The mechanic said the car needs a new clutch actuator B location or something for automatic transmission. Do you guys have experience with this problem? Would it fix it? Thanks.

Or does it need a new transmission?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I still can't get my sister to trade in her POS Fiesta. She's been one of the lucky ones, its been reliable.

But I keep telling her it's not a matter of 'if', it's a matter of 'when' the transmission is going to fail.

She's getting upwards near the 100k mile marker and the warranty expiration. But she 'love's' her little Fiesta. She likes small cars, I told her, we can find another SMALL car. She considers a Civic too big.

The market is going to fall out from under these cars as they pass the 100k mile mark and the extended warranty fails.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I’m asking for a friend. She has a 2014 Focus with 124k miles. It won’t go into reverse. She had it towed. The mechanic said the car needs a new clutch actuator B location or something for automatic transmission. Do you guys have experience with this problem? Would it fix it? Thanks.

Or does it need a new transmission?

124k damn she has been lucky. My Focus had the clutches done at 16k LOL. I punted that car as soon as 36k warranty was up. :jg:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The question in my mind is does the tranny work constitute a permanent fix?

The problem is the design itself.

Problem #1 was fluid leaks spraying the clutches. Which since they are a dry clutch design, it destroys the clutches. So that's an R&R service.

Problem #2 is that the computer apparently cannot control the clutches correctly, leading to shuddering/stalling, and high RPM slippage.

They've fixed some of it, and by fixed meaning they've reduced the number of times it fucks up.

But its still a shitty design and needs to be ditched before the extended warranty expires.

Ford extended the warranty to 100k miles, not sure of years.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
The problem is the design itself.

Problem #1 was fluid leaks spraying the clutches. Which since they are a dry clutch design, it destroys the clutches. So that's an R&R service.

Problem #2 is that the computer apparently cannot control the clutches correctly, leading to shuddering/stalling, and high RPM slippage.

They've fixed some of it, and by fixed meaning they've reduced the number of times it fucks up.

But its still a shitty design and needs to be ditched before the extended warranty expires.

Ford extended the warranty to 100k miles, not sure of years.

I remember rolling up to a stop light on incline. Took foot of the break sucker rolled back 5 feet like I was in neutral. Then started jerking and catching. Fords response was we have a software fix for that. Welpz it really did not fix it.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I still can't get my sister to trade in her POS Fiesta. She's been one of the lucky ones, its been reliable.

But I keep telling her it's not a matter of 'if', it's a matter of 'when' the transmission is going to fail.

She's getting upwards near the 100k mile marker and the warranty expiration. But she 'love's' her little Fiesta. She likes small cars, I told her, we can find another SMALL car. She considers a Civic too big.

The market is going to fall out from under these cars as they pass the 100k mile mark and the extended warranty fails.

Mazda2 is the same car. Without the shitty transmission.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Before ford touches it, reground the TCM. I was written up by Bob Rohrman Schaumburg Ford for a whole new transmission on my wifes 90k mile fiesta to the tune of 5500 bucks. I am pretty sure they just didn't want our "business"

They never mentioned or tried to do the TCM tsb's or recalls.

I did them myself after following the youtube videos of a ford tech and the car ran fine. Wife is a nurse though and was paranoid about not making it to work so we sent it to carmax and replaced it with a CX-5. She loved that little yellow fiesta but man do I wish I had made her get a Mazda2. Tbh our fiesta didn't have much if any of a shudder/take off issue like a lot of other peoples did but we both drove it hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh8PIL5E_6M

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Before ford touches it, reground the TCM. I was written up by Bob Rohrman Schaumburg Ford for a whole new transmission on my wifes 90k mile fiesta to the tune of 5500 bucks. I am pretty sure they just didn't want our "business"

They never mentioned or tried to do the TCM tsb's or recalls.

I did them myself after following the youtube videos of a ford tech and the car ran fine. Wife is a nurse though and was paranoid about not making it to work so we sent it to carmax and replaced it with a CX-5. She loved that little yellow fiesta but man do I wish I had made her get a Mazda2. Tbh our fiesta didn't have much if any of a shudder/take off issue like a lot of other peoples did but we both drove it hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh8PIL5E_6M

I may be overkill and somewhat redneck but that certainly seems like the perfect time to get a longer bolt, an extra couple terminals and a hunk of wire and just run a line straight to the engine block. Crappy grounding like that is a 101 level electrical design error and a way for Ford to save a dollar instead of doing it right.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Just curious. How are the Auto trans DCT in the GTRs? I’m too lazy to look it up.

Early ones no good, heard lots of issues with failures due to launch control and Nissan voiding the warranty.

Later ones, no more peeps in the news, so I assume Nissan stepped up and fixed issues. But I'm sure [MENTION=6366]95SC[/MENTION] can do more detail as he owned one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info