• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

that doesn't look quite right

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
after much time/pain/dollars, cylinder 2 developed misfire has been identified - some ugly arse looking direct injectors.

zHkeCWV.jpg

cyl 4 was still stuck in car. seal compromised on 2. 3 not looking so hot either. close up of 2.

AlFucqF.jpg

my mechanic says e85 is primarily to blame for this. car purchased in 2012, tracked 2013. e85 early 2015. have run 93 in winters and e85 during track season. 53k miles? many a track day, although driver still slows. might just cycle in some 93 tanks or not run e85 until track day. anyone else ever get this nastiness?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I'd do a compression or better yet a leak down test on the cylinders.

cold
88 87 88 88

hot just did #2, 87

Is there a big enough power difference from 93 to E85 that warrants this as worth the trouble?

modest but noticeable gain.

same driver, owns 2 86s, e85 one 93 the other. ab south

e85stefan.jpg

if my only change is running 93 between track days and having it last at least as long/longer, tolerable

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Those are definitely good enough for the small sacrifice of switching on track days IMO. HP wise that's probably pretty significant. There's just no way to do this without the destruction? This is 2019, we are in a time where everything is possible...?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Those are definitely good enough for the small sacrifice of switching on track days IMO. HP wise that's probably pretty significant. There's just no way to do this without the destruction? This is 2019, we are in a time where everything is possible...?

i'm not exactly clear on the problem. sounds like it is e85, sounds perhaps more accurately that it is additives put in e85? my ports looked pretty clean btw.

v1sdrry.jpg

the flex fuel kit is all aftermarket. we were going to see if there are injectors that could be used instead that are actually designed differently for e and would perform better. if not i'll just be popping in all new oem ones.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
E85 is definitely corrosive , I actually just bought some of that Lucas e85 stuff Pressure ratio posted seems legit, feels like an oil of some type one bottle treats like 80 gallons, I’ll probably pull the injectors this next winter and have them cleaned anyway though

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info