• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

First oil change on brand new cars?

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I put 1500 miles on my Charger so far. Just wondering when do you guys think I should do the first oil change?

I called a couple Dodge dealers. One said at 3k miles. The other said, at 6k miles. It takes 7 quarts of 0-40 full Synthetic Pennzoil.

I probably changed it too early on my Camaro. I think at like 1k miles. The Camaro takes 10 quarts of 5w30 Mobil full Synthetic.

It’s just wasting oil and money. I guess.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Fuck it. I’ll probably change it this week and then again at 5k miles just for peace of mind. LOL.

The last oil change on my Camaro only has 500 miles on it now. And it looks dirty.

The car has 3500 miles on it altogether. I’ve changed the oil on it twice so far. It’s supposed to be changed every 5k miles. And if it sits and I don’t drive it. That shouldn’t have any effect on oil change intervals. Imo.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
What's your plans for the car?

I frequently keep cars 10 - 15 years. You can never over-maintain them if you are going to keep them.

If you are going to run it hard for 75,000 miles and dump it, then oil changes every 5000 miles are more than adequate to get you to that mileage threshold.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
What's your plans for the car?

I frequently keep cars 10 - 15 years. You can never over-maintain them if you are going to keep them.

If you are going to run it hard for 75,000 miles and dump it, then oil changes every 5000 miles are more than adequate to get you to that mileage threshold.

Not sure how long I’ll keep both cars but I like taking good care of them. Regardless.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Waste of money. Unless a specific break in period is suggested, it’s probably broken in already. Manufacturing tolerance is so much better now, very little break in is ever needed. I’d wait until 3k, and keep the revs down until you get there.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
I don’t ever think it’s a waste of money to change oil and filter. I would change the oil on my 14’ Hemi Ram every month or about 2500miles. On my mustang it’s every 1k miles or twice a year since I don’t drive it often. To me it’s cheap insurance. Now my 18’ Cummins well it holds 12qts I believe so changing oil every 5k miles. Something about the feeling of starting up your vehicle after fresh oil change I feel the vehicle is thanking you.....

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I always do 500 - 1,000. It's not advanced technology necessarily, and I get machining capabilities are better than ever before, but there are still fine metal particles that exist in that initial break-in period. The filter will get clogged with the particles, then it doesn't filter it out of the oil, then that oil is being circulated through the engine as that stuff is suspended in the oil itself.

As much as I hate Fram, their slogan, pay a little now, or a lot later... Having seen vehicles come in completely neglected while working in service, a simple oil change can do so much to add longevity.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
When I worked at the Dodge Jeep dealer, I learned that new vehicles have special break in minerals in the oil from the factory and that the 500-1000 mile initial oil change wasn’t needed anymore. It use to be in the manuals to change it but not anymore unless a specific engine needed it. Even with that being said, I have changed the oil at 1000 miles on the last new vehicles I have owned, which hasn’t been many because I usually buy slightly used. My Hybrid Jetta was bought new and has 100k on it and had the oil changed at 1000miles,so....I don’t think it matters really?!

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I know many of the engine builders I've used over the years will *suggest* a conventional motor oil (vs. Synthetic) for the initial break in for that same reason. After you're through with that, you can put in whatever you want. Then if you're running a very aggressive cam with high lift and high spring rates, some might suggest an oil with a higher zinc content for the wear resistance.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Chevy said to follow the OLM on my dash for my 18' Silverado. I have 4600 miles now and its still at almost 40% Its making me nervous but I'm thinking at 5k to bring it in regardless of the percent.

Not sure I trust that Chevy OLM.

My 18 Camaro SS sat all winter. It has 3500 miles on it too. I only started it a couple times.

I had the oil changed last October before storage. I’ve only changed the oil twice on it.

And now it’s down to like 20%. LOL.

Search on www.Camaro6.com

Idk. I’ll let it go a little longer.

And I’ll probably change the oil on the Charger now at 1500 miles and not again for 8 months or so. Obviously, I don’t drive too much anymore. So.

My oil change intervals are at how many months before mileage. Lol.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I know many of the engine builders I've used over the years will *suggest* a conventional motor oil (vs. Synthetic) for the initial break in for that same reason. After you're through with that, you can put in whatever you want. Then if you're running a very aggressive cam with high lift and high spring rates, some might suggest an oil with a higher zinc content for the wear resistance.

Idk man. I think most, if not all new cars run full Synthetic nowadays. Or at least synthetic blend. I put the Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend in my 03 Cobra for over 16 years.

I just wanted to mention. Don’t all new car manufacturers offer 5 year/50k mile drivetrain warranties now? And still the 3 year/36k bumper to bumper.

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I think you're confusing professional engine builders who, again, *suggest* that you use a conventional "Dino" oil for the initial break-in, after which you can use whatever your heart desires. Provided it meets or is licensed (think Dexos), by the manufacturer. Versus mass-market manufacturer's that are in the business to push sheet-metal. They'll tell the consumer whatever the consumer wants to hear to get them in a car every 3 - 5 years. They all like to beat their chests about durability, but lets be honest, if you maintain your vehicle and then keep the vehicle 10, 15, 20 years and amassing 300k on the odometer because you've follow fairly stringent and consistent routine maintenance, if you're doing that, you aren't buying something new every 3 - 5 years.

Most manufacturer's put in synthetic for longer change intervals, coupled with supposedly better fuel economy, and to help reduce emissions (from oil that is inherently left on cylinder walls even after the rings scrape it clean). You will find most oils, conventional and synthetic now-a-days, have lower zinc content for this last reason alone

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Idk man. I think most, if not all new cars run full Synthetic nowadays. Or at least synthetic blend. I put the Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend in my 03 Cobra for over 16 years.

I just wanted to mention. Don’t all new car manufacturers offer 5 year/50k mile drivetrain warranties now? And still the 3 year/36k bumper to bumper.

Are u planning on keeping that charger that long ?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
dayumn 10 qts is a lot of errrllll.

i've only bought the sti and brz new. i changed it within whatever early interval was recommended iirc. daily driving i think there is no reason at all to change the oil at 3000, if anything, i'd change the filter. i bet any good modern synthetic goes to 5k no problem, probably even 10k really.

the last few years i've generally gone 8+ track days between oil changes and my analysis from blackstone has looked pretty good. these are 20 25+ minute intervals of the oil running at 255 265f too. currently i run amsoil 5w30 synthetic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info