• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Opinions on old tires

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
Ok so I'm an idiot and I didn't check the DOT stamp on a pair of tires I recently bought used. Basically they're tires from 2008 so almost no one will mount them for "safety" reasons. Frankly I wouldn't have bought them if I had paid close enough attention to that but here I am stuck with these things. My question is, how risky is it REALLY to mount and run these things? Visually they're not dry rotted at all and tread is like 8/32. I did find 1 place that will mount them if I pay cash lol. I already asked the seller if they'd consider refunding me based on the fact that every other tire shop I called said no way, but the seller is a fucking cuck so he said no. Opinions?

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
While the inner construction will keep everything together, the actual rubber won't have the same grip and pliability of a more recent tire. So they may be a little (or a lot) more unpredictable. Not sure that I'd feel comfortable getting them heated up like a track day event. Daily driving on dry pavement probably wouldn't be an issue. Wet pavement might be sketchy. There are PLENTY of people rolling around on 10 year old tires (doesn't make it good, of course). Inspecting them frequently would be necessary if you plan on using them.

Burn 'em up quick if you feel like you need to get your money's worth out of them. Or if your conscience allows, you could probably sell them online to some other unsuspecting guy who is looking for cheap tires and doesn't care/know about the DOT dating system.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I wouldn’t use old tires for a track day, where you’re at the highest speeds your car probably sees and where insurance won’t cover your ass if they blow and you crash (maybe track day insurance would?)

Daily driving/commuting, id probably run them. Had tires that were nearing 10 years old on our Honda with lots of tread still but finally changed them out due to cracking last year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info