• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

spec'ing out a torq converter? HOW??

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
im trying to be a cheapo and spec out my own converter for my 5.3/80e swap in my truck...

planning on calling up a local converter company to have it built after i figure out what i want/need.

3900lbs
28" tire
3.42 gear(might be going 3.73)

cam only 5.3L
Camshaft:
Lift: 0.585"/0.585"
Duration 0.050": 228°/230°
Advertised Duration: 283°/286°
Lobe Separation: 112°
RPM Range: 2,500-6,500 RPM

95% sure i want to keep lockup. i have no clue what the benefit would be not to have it.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
How easy is it to drop the trans? If it’s easy, go ahead and cheap out. You thinking of using Midwest? “Free restalls”

Cheaping out on a converter is something I’ll never understand. The cam is the brain of the motor, consider the converter the nervous system. It transfers whatever the brain tells it to do.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
It seems as though people go through a ritual process of designing a converter around their exact specifications and need. Meanwhile I just picked up an off the shelf Pro Yank 3400 and works fine. I think people over think this too much. Same with custom spec cam shafts. Most vendors have their go to grinds but if it makes the customer feel special that they have a custom grind I suppose it helps them to sleep better at night.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
It seems as though people go through a ritual process of designing a converter around their exact specifications and need. Meanwhile I just picked up an off the shelf Pro Yank 3400 and works fine. I think people over think this too much. Same with custom spec cam shafts. Most vendors have their go to grinds but if it makes the customer feel special that they have a custom grind I suppose it helps them to sleep better at night.

I went with their PAS 3400 after calling them. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them. But not cheap though.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
How easy is it to drop the trans? If it’s easy, go ahead and cheap out. You thinking of using Midwest? “Free restalls”

Cheaping out on a converter is something I’ll never understand. The cam is the brain of the motor, consider the converter the nervous system. It transfers whatever the brain tells it to do.

there are so many places to call for them. just think about all the local places that do "stock" converters for your 1995 e350 van... theyre like $150 bucks lol.

midwest, some dude named Dino, from out in tinley i think, precision of new hampton...

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I agree with having the correct stall for the application. I have watched people be cheap and buy off the shelf shit or stuff from local rebuilders. Then have no luck getting the car to run right.The spend money on more of their converters and changing them out. Still not having luck. In the long run, they spend the same amount of money and are still not where they should be. But this is geared towards cars with power.

Since you are doing a more tame street truck you could probably pick out a cheap converter and be fine. Just be aware most converters that have an advertised stall will be at a much lighter weight than what you will have. So the weight will make it stall higher. A good converter with a higher stall speed and still have great driveability. As in let off the brakes and the car moves. Give it some gas and it moves fine. No need to mash the gas to get it going. But if you do mash the gas you get the advertised stall speed real quick. Plus a higher stall speed is fine if you keep the lockup. Once it locks up it will drive just like stock and run cooler. Plus get good MPG since it isn't slipping all the time.

Call your converter place up and see what they say. If they seem clueless about custom stuff either buy a cheap stockish converter or call someone else that will take your specs into account and build one that should perform well in the truck.

Yank sells a couple affordable truck converters. Might be worth a call to them to see what they say/recommend. Then go from there.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Didn’t see the going cheap, ask on sloppy mechanics Facebook and order what they tell you I’m sure there is a stock one that would fit your application

ha. matt happle himself went through a REAL converter company. so idk about that. when i searched it people always posted links from circle d, yank, ptc, ect...

im like :io: lol

however, i heard that a 2500 express van that had a 4.8/80e combo would have a 2400stall speed converter. i still have to verify that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info