• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Just got 1/4" Dewalt Impact driver 18v - have questions.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
If I want to use bigger drive sockets, is this what I need??

19RK08_AS01

Also would this 1/4 18v driver be ok to pull off log nuts with? Or is that too big of a job for it? I know there are 24v ones with bigger drives, but I didnt want something that big.

This is what I have.

s-l300.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I had a Chicago Pnuematic 3/8's" unit and most lug torque (which is usually around 100 ft/lbs), it would struggle with, but would eventually break them loose. Problem was, you wore out the battery and would have to go recharge.

I quickly dumped that and bought a Crapsman 1/2" C3 cordless impact (this guy to be exact);
spin_prod_235757901

But quickly dumped the standard 19.2v battery for an upgraded Lithium-Ion XCP battery (this guy), which also prompted me to have to get a new charger, but...
maxresdefault.jpg

At the end of the day, you can bust all 24 of my Suburban's lugs, torqued to 125 lb/ft (if I recall), and still not need to recharge. So it's a breeze on all 6 lugs @ 100lb/ft on the Caddy or 5@100 on the GTO, Impala or either Chrysler appliances.

Then I can use the other Craftsman C3 devices (my cordless drill, blower, etc), all with the same battery.

At 200 lb/ft of torque it is NOT the most powerful cordless out there, but will work fine for the most. DeWalt's are nice units, I have a 19v Cordless DeWalt drill too, but I think what you have is simply overmatched for what you want.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
i dont think you'll get lug nuts broke free with that

Fuck no. His Mustang has a torque spec of 150 ft/lbs for the lug nuts. No way is that 1/4" drive going to do that.

Like mentioned, bust the lug nuts loose with a wrench or breaker bar. Then use this to zip the lug nuts on and off. Final torque with a 1/2" torque wrench.

The 1/4" is handy for light duty work. It isn't going to bust off most hardware. It just isn't that strong.

Bryan, if you are interested, I have a 3/8 & 1/2 drivers I don't use anymore. I changed to the 20v stuff. Would cut you a good deal on the stuff if you want to add to your collection. They are almost new. I have plenty of batteries as well.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Thanks for the offer Pratt. I dont have enough room for a ton of tools yet. But thats changing soon. As for the info, thanks all for your comments. Looks like I would want atleast a 3/8" drive impact for lugs. The 1/4" will be nice for all the rest as far as I can gather. I can see it being a big help when I switch out my catback soon or install something else.........

I have three batteries for it too. To of the new gen ones and a single older 18v from my older Dewalt 18v drill. That drill has been awesome over the past 11 years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info