• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Anyone have experience with POR15 or Eastwood Chassis Black?

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I have used both, POR is the better product but only in certain conditions. When it comes down to price the Eastwood chassis black wins. Plus it's easy to use with its rust inhibitor/converter line of products. The only downside I have seen with the Eastwood product is you can still scratch the finish easier than POR15. Neither chips easy but if you want it to look the best a topcoat is recommended.

For frame rails or underneath of a car where rocks and road debris will hit it consistently I would use the POR product, for an engine bay or inside panels Eastwood product all day.

Eastwood has a store in Alsip so if your close you can save yourself shipping. That store carries POR in inventory as well.

By definition POR does not sound like the right product for you. It's meant to go on top of rust and rough metal. Smooth and rust free it'll just peel off. You'd be better off using an enamel paint.

That's something I was concerned about too. When I was researching this stuff ive seen a lot of people taking there engine bays down to bear metal and then apply por15. I was just going to scuff up the surface.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I think if you scuff up the surface, the POR 15 will be fine.

I've used this stuff on the wife's rear wheel well lip where there was some rust starting. It put an immediate stop to it. Just be sure to coat both sides of the steel.

I've used it on my car's rear wheel well in the same place to prevent any rust in the future (everyone should do this IMO).

I've also used in under the car on the front sway bar, frame and anywhere else that can be chipped up by rocks or road debris. It has held up very well so far and I don't expect it will ever come off.

That POR 15 is unbelievably tough. I spilled a few drops on my driveway a couple years ago and the spots are still there looking good as new, despite all the winters, snow plowing, sun, weather, etc.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
That's something I was concerned about too. When I was researching this stuff ive seen a lot of people taking there engine bays down to bear metal and then apply por15. I was just going to scuff up the surface.
It needs to be a rough surface to adhere. Also it's called paint over rust so it doesn't need to be spotless. Just remove the loose material.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I might be late to the party but I've done a lot of work with POR15 over the last few years. Multiple engines with their enamel system and frame work, rust repairs as well. It's an amazing product. If you get the engine enamel , it won't fade (guaranteed) over time or so the company says. It'll also stick better from experience as opposed to the regular stuff. It comes in a ton of colors too.. [MENTION=12309]HulkSmash[/MENTION]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info