• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Soldering iron choice?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Okay, so my Weller TC202 shit the bed. Looks like the thermal switch is out and it's $33 or so to get another. Considering I bought it a decade ago for a princely $10 bill at the pawn shop, I can't bitch all that much.

Right now I'm looking for $100 or less, something entry level to mid range-ish. This is what I've come up with.

FRYS.com*|*AOYUE

This is one of my big finalists, it mentions closed loop temp regulation which is important to me.

FRYS.com*|*American Hakko

This is towards the higher end. Assuming it's closed loop. Has feature like a lock code for temp I don't think I'll use.

FRYS.com*|*AOYUE

This is about the same price says it has closed loop temp feedback. Also uses Hakko tips which is nice.

The Weller stations seem to be at $110-150 at Frys until you go high end. Any reason I should pay the premium besides the name? My goal is high value and I'm willing to pay a few bucks more for quality but I am a hobbyist who definitely uses their gear but not a pro. Application is PCBs, car wiring and likely some tube amplifiers.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Hakko. that's what I'd be buying if I was in the market for a new one. But, I find lots of free tools that get sent to the trash at work. Got a weller WTCPT last year that I really like. South bend lathe, Bridgeport mill, couple older snap on chests, oscilloscopes, more files wrenches and screwdrivers than you could shake a stick at.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Screw those mini irons...:io: I use sievert matic or the old timer hickery handle ones. And yes it works great on automotive stuff too.:s00ls:

Attachments

• 2016-03-28 10.35.34.jpg
    2016-03-28 10.35.34.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 2016-03-28 10.36.40.jpg
    2016-03-28 10.36.40.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 2016-03-28 10.38.46.jpg
    2016-03-28 10.38.46.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 80

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Ended up bucking up for the Hakko. So far so good, I haven't even adjusted the temp up or down though. The tip options for it are huge even with what Frys has in stock. What I don't like so far is that the iron holder is separate from the power unit, I think I'd have rather ended up with something integral since it seems like I'm always soldering in weird spots.

The WTCPT you have uses the same iron as the one I had. I got 10 years of hard use out of it. If you decide you need some tips or you need some parts for yours, I have a few things laying around for it. The thermostatic switch seems toast but the element is still good and that's a $35 part by its self.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
The hakko 880D is one of the most highly recommended out there. I'm upgrading to one eventually...I currently have a Weller with an analog temperature knob.

So far I like it, the one thing I'll say is if you're using a TC201 iron you'll think it's too thin initially. I'm super edgy about choking up too far on it tbh.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
what kind of work do you guys do with them?

I really don't use one often at work, home use I could get by with a $20 pencil. For me it's just something nice to have around, and it was free. I'll do some minor electronic work once in a great while, the rest is simple stuff you could handle with a crappy iron.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
what kind of work do you guys do with them?

I really don't use one often at work, home use I could get by with a $20 pencil. For me it's just something nice to have around, and it was free. I'll do some minor electronic work once in a great while, the rest is simple stuff you could handle with a crappy iron.

Quite frankly I tend to flex the fuck out of mine. That means I'll end up doing stuff like circuit boards and car wiring.

I do want to get into SMD more. Any of you have experience with QFN-40s? I have a few AD9852s here I would eventually like to make an oscillator out of.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info