• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Question for the LS folks

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Couple quick questions for LS engine peeps. I think I'm fucked.

I removed the head on the drivers side of my truck, did not drain coolant so when I removed the head it was like a waterfall to the floor. I drained the oil today and found coolant when I started draining oil. Could this be just from some of the water sitting on the Pistons.

Now the big question, as I was getting ready to torque the very back bottom bolt the bolt was getting close to the torque and I hear a crack sound kind of like breaking a pencil. Then the bolt turned one more rotation quite easily then torqued down just like the others. Did this bolt crack the block and get coolant Into the oil? If this was not the case if the block cracked at this hole does it matter?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
You need to clear out the bolt holes of all fluids, else you create hydraulic pressure as you reinstall the bolts which can actually crack the block. I'd take the bolt out, remove the head and inspect the hole for damage. Make sure you clean out all your other head bolt holes! A whole house vac works great for this purpose.

Coolant in the oil which is being drained is no big deal, just don't run the engine until you have all the coolant out of the oil.

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
I think I'm fucked, I think I will just have to see what happens as I have the heads torqued down and the exhaust manifolds hooked back up and torqued, rockers back in etc. I'm waiting on a few more parts to arrive.

Do you think I can pressurize the cooling system to check for the crack if there is one?

Also if the block did crack would you still be able to torque plus the 90, 90 without other problems?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
No that bolt won't turn by finger. I ended up torquing it to the required 90 degrees on the second pass and the additional 90 degrees on the final pass. Give or take a couple degrees.

What year is this truck and is it a 5.3? Are you sure its 90 degrees both times? I only ask because when I look up specs on a 5.3... first pass is 22 ft lbs, second pass is 90 degrees, final pass is then 70 degrees. The smaller baby bolts at the top are 22 Ft lbs total

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Maybe I have the wrong vehicle or engine. I looked up a 2005 Silverado with a 5.3 engine. That is the most common engine so I guessed.... The specs are what I stated above. If the engine or truck is different let me know. If not then you over torqued your bolts

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
I'm going to do as suggested and take it apart and stick a camera in the hole. After doing this should I get new head bolts again, as well as head gasket, and exhaust manifold gasket, seeing that they have been torqued down?

It's a 2005 isuzu ascender I believe it's the lq9 motor.. Lemme check the vin again.

Correction it's the LH6 motor.

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
I'm going to do as suggested and take it apart and stick a camera in the hole. After doing this should I get new head bolts again, as well as head gasket, and exhaust manifold gasket, seeing that they have been torqued down?

It's a 2005 isuzu ascender I believe it's the lq9 motor.. Lemme check the vin again.

Correction it's the LH6 motor.
You should be fine reusing the head gasket and exhaust manifold gasket, but you have to get new head bolts. They are TTY and can't be reused after they have been torqued.

Take one of the old head bolts and cut a couple grooves into the threads. It will work kind of like a tap and will make cleaning the head bolt holes super easy.

Like this
modifiedheadbolt.jpg

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
^excatly. Torque to yield bolts can only be used one time. I would take the head back off and get a good look at that hole. It's an aluminum block and most likely fine, sometimes these head bolts make funny noises as they stretch. Sometimes torque wrenches do the same...In this case it's better to be safe than sorry.

Why did you pull the head in the first place? And yes, drain the oil. Be prepared as the coolant will come out first

Greg@STG

Forum Sponsor
Nov 17, 2015
St Louis, MO
Real Name
Read
Couple quick questions for LS engine peeps. I think I'm fucked.

I removed the head on the drivers side of my truck, did not drain coolant so when I removed the head it was like a waterfall to the floor. I drained the oil today and found coolant when I started draining oil. Could this be just from some of the water sitting on the Pistons.

Now the big question, as I was getting ready to torque the very back bottom bolt the bolt was getting close to the torque and I hear a crack sound kind of like breaking a pencil. Then the bolt turned one more rotation quite easily then torqued down just like the others. Did this bolt crack the block and get coolant Into the oil? If this was not the case if the block cracked at this hole does it matter?

The oil in the coolant is the water draining from inside the head and water jackets into the block and making it way into the oil pan. You 100% need to do an oil change.

Most likely you cracked the block/hole in the block because you didnt clean the coolant out and since water doesnt compress, something else is going to give.
Check outside of that bolthole on the block and see if you can see a crack or anything.

And yes, if you pull the head back off, you need new bolts.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
^excatly. Torque to yield bolts can only be used one time. I would take the head back off and get a good look at that hole. It's an aluminum block and most likely fine, sometimes these head bolts make funny noises as they stretch. Sometimes torque wrenches do the same...In this case it's better to be safe than sorry.

Why did you pull the head in the first place? And yes, drain the oil. Be prepared as the coolant will come out first
I am working on replacing the afm lifters in my isuzu ascender, basically a gnc envoy. It has the 5.3 litre vortec. First question, when I removed the head one alignment pin was on the block and the other one was still on the head. Is this correct as every motor I worked on had the pins in the block. Second question, when I unbolted the lifter tray and pulled it out the only lifters that came out with the tray was the afm lifters, the standard stayed in. Should the lifters come out with the trays or do you need to remove them after the trays are removed. Lastly I purchased a new valve lifter oil manifold. This part looks different than the old one. Does something need to be swapped over from the old one to the new one or is it a direct bolt in, also don't know the torque for this piece.

Thanks for all the help

Fyi

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info