• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Anyone ever replace a BMW battery(e60)?

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I've been reading around on a few forums, which is a joke because most of those guys don't know their ass from their elbow. But the one thing they keep talking about is registering the battery and reprogramming the computer or some shit due to the way the charging system works. I have no intention of doing that.

They also talk about not letting the iDrive system go without power. My car is already dead, so I'm beyond that point. Is it going to throw a bunch of errors or anything?

When you replace the battery, you need to reprogram the car to the new battery. It is also advised to replace the OE AGM battery with another AGM. The shop i work at deals with a ton of European cars, and had had a few bmws towed in with a no start condition, and a few with overcharging issues after the owner's tried replacing the battery and not having it reprogrammed.
What year is your car?

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Great, thanks for the info. I'm going to order the cable and then make sure I do whatever's necessary after installing the battery.

It does seem nice to have(and the popular cables are around $20)...Just to be able to read errors properly, etc.

What a pain in the ass though. I'm buying another Honda or something next time. ;)

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I had an E90 with the same type of battery - Got a replacement from Autozone (instead of the 250 dollar batter BMW wanted) and then had an independent shop that does work on imports do the register for me. Had it done while getting an oil change one time.

It's not "needed" per say, but it's one of those better safe than sorry things. When you re-register the battery the car knows it's new and utilizes it a bit differently for power consumption compared to when the battery has been used for 4 years or what have you. Just make sure to replace it with the same type as someone said here before. You can't do a non- AGM to an AGM and vice versa or you have to reprogram the car.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Just pulled the old battery. It was the smaller, incorrectly-sized one that Autozone, etc always tells people to buy. I went to interstate and got the proper sized one and I'm going to disable the Intelligent Battery System. It seems to be a common fix that a bunch of people have had success doing, so I'll give it a shot.

I'm definitely getting rid of this thing and buying a newer Civic or something. It's getting to the point now where there's always some sensor or device throwing an error...I don't want to deal with it any more.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• b00sted
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list